Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 frame repair on 3800 series
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mike9

19 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  7:37:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
anyone have any experience on installing the frame repair inserts on a 96 3800 series,i have one that is starting to go down now,common problem with these buses,but i have not had to do one yet.I have the inserts from international,just looking for any tips? thx

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  07:25:44 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are u talking actual chassis frame repair or bus body cross members?
Go to Top of Page

mike9

19 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2013 :  04:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
frame itself right under cowl,cracked across top and will work down,navistar has inserts that fit inside to repair this problem, there were alot of these done back in the day,but i suspect not alot any more with the age of these,direct bolt in just have to remove spring hangers ect,ect to install. thx mike
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2013 :  07:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds pretty straight forward then... place I worked before the school, we did a lot of structural repairs, lengthening ,etc... have replaced complete frame rails on OTR trucks one side at a time...big job just have to have lots of jacks and jack stands... unbolt everything and slide it out the rear.. Good luck with your inserts, sounds like they shouldn't be extremely difficult..
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2013 :  09:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did one a long while back, on an old 1900 series. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be- and was pretty straight forward. Check the bolts on things when you remove them. If I remember right, I had a shock mount bolt break soon after this repair (had it off to either get it out of the way or the bolts went through the new piece.)

:)
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2013 :  06:12:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's simple IH did some under warranty they don't even drill the extra holes just use the ones that line up. On some there is a flat plate on the inside of the rail that has to be trimmed for it to fit flush against the rail. Do both sides while you're at it even if it's not cracked.
Go to Top of Page

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  04:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I'm bringing up the rear (as usual) on this topic. Would someone give me a part number for this frame insert, please ??

TIA, Brian
Go to Top of Page

mike1

2 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  08:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are the part# 3539064C2 and 3539063C2
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000