Air disc
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  06:36:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone running air disc on there units if so pro's cons? Thinking of specing this on our next bus order but wanted some opinions. Thanks

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  08:59:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you or your techs have the tools and experience shouldn't be a problem. Something that obscure would not do well around here. Do they drive different?
quote:
Originally posted by willism

Anyone running air disc on there units if so pro's cons? Thinking of specing this on our next bus order but wanted some opinions. Thanks

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  09:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't have any but one of the cons would be always having to remove the wheels, so the calipers can be removed, before the hubs can be removed.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  09:33:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not getting the life out of our drum breaks like I would like my drivers are just driving the buses to hard with a 4 tier route. What Ive read on them there supposed to last longer 100k warranty on the rotors and I want to say 60k on the pads from what the salesman said.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  11:49:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

Don't have any but one of the cons would be always having to remove the wheels, so the calipers can be removed, before the hubs can be removed.

I see that as an advantage over drum on my hyd. disc. I don't like pulling the hub and having to replace the wheel seal every time I want to check the brakes. Plus having to clean all the oil off and making sure no contaminates get in there.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

1forTBB

8 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  11:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit 1forTBB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We just delivered our first one to a customer. I have 2 more on order for a different customer and one on order for stock. Not enough miles on any of them yet for real world experience but the one I drove did seem to have a more positive feel in the braking.
There is some interesting service info available here
www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay.asp?documentID=6014
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  12:33:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

I see that as an advantage over drum on my hyd. disc. I don't like pulling the hub and having to replace the wheel seal every time I want to check the brakes. Plus having to clean all the oil off and making sure no contaminates get in there.

The disc brakes don't have any advantage in this regard. My point is a leaking wheel seal on a drum brake unit can be replaced by simply removing the hub cap, cotter pin and spindle nut and removing the entire tire/wheel hub assembly. And, air drum brake lining can easily be checked with out pulling hub or drum. In addition most air brake drums are "outboard" mounted and can be slid off the hub after removing the wheels.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 06/18/2013 12:37:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2013 :  12:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

The disc brakes don't have any advantage in this regard. My point is a leaking wheel seal on a drum brake unit can be replaced by simply removing the hub cap, cotter pin and spindle nut and removing the entire tire/wheel hub assembly. And, air drum brake lining can easily be checked with out pulling hub or drum. In addition most air brake drums are "outboard" mounted and can be slid off the hub after removing the wheels.

OK, I follow. Air disk were being used 25 plus years ago. I just wonder why they haven't really caught on.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RBrian

United States
71 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2013 :  09:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit RBrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have 39 C2's with 4 wheel air disc. The 2012 models had some issues with calipers sticking, rotors warping. I've been told that there was a design change in the new calipers. So far the 2013 buses have had no issues.

Pro's:
Stopping distance decrease
Brake pad inspection thru the wheel
Change out pads in 10 minutes.

Con's:
$2,000 initial cost
Can't think of anything else.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000