New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  1:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone done it yet? I'm changing out the coalescence filter while I'm at it. Quackserve ain't no help, no mention of cleaning in my service info.

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2013 :  07:26:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to pay the core on the next one, clean it and have one ready to go. Ridiculous what they get for a replacement.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2013 :  08:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe you need to change the coalescence filter more often? The Cummins guy in my area that deals with school buses recommends 30-40K if I remember right...

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2013 :  11:49:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I change the crankcase/coalescing filter out at 60k. You think it has something to do with the EGR sooting up? Cummins told me to have drivers High Idle to prevent this. I think it because those units that failed are on short routes and barely get over 45 mph. The EGR is not getting used enough IMO.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2013 :  12:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We change the coalescing filter yearly and have had no problems whatsoever with our DPF's. Alot of our newest buses are on very short intown routes (old directors gift to senior drivers) we do more lot regens on those but no other problems yet.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  06:35:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tigger2

We change the coalescing filter yearly and have had no problems whatsoever with our DPF's. Alot of our newest buses are on very short intown routes (old directors gift to senior drivers) we do more lot regens on those but no other problems yet.

No EGR or Turbo actuator problems either? Actuator is about $900 BTW. I've had to force regen a couple of them but they are doing fine now. I will bring up the yearly filter change suggestion to my dealer and see what they say.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  07:04:21 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We had two turbo actuators but both were electrical in nature both under warranty (10yr 200,000 mi.all components).
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  12:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are on the 5 year plan.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000