New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  1:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had one today that was at level 4 soot. Would not run stationary regen, derated to 1800rpm. Went into DPF reset as if I changed it, level dropped to 3. Ran regen (took an hour). Has anyone done this to save on cleaning? It seems to be working great now. Cleared DTC and not returning.

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
467 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  04:39:40 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We have used it several times to avoid the removal and cleaning of the DPF worked on most one we had to remove and blow out with shop air reinstalled and regened worked fine.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  08:23:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome. Thought I was doing a no-no

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

offroadwolf1

33 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  4:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have pulled them and cleaned them with shop air and then run a regen on it. This works only if you don't have oil contamination in it. If it is wet with oil you can catch it on fire. But another to look at is why did it get to level 4? Does it have another issue? Is the driver not running a parked regen on the bus or is there an engine problem.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  4:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've done it to get the bus rolling, but I think you never get it back to where it should be. You tend to get excessive regen cycles afterwords. Yank it and get it cleaned when you can.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  09:11:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had an earlier EGR position issue which I think was related. I think the driver never gives it a chance to regen, short route. History showed a couple incompletes. No Oil in the exhaust, and the sensor temps seem to be accurate. Anyhow it happens again I'll pull the thing off and get it cleaned. The International dealer down here has a cleaner. Cummins sends theirs there. LOL

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 03/21/2013 09:13:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

offroadwolf1

33 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  11:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen the same issues with units I have had to blow out. Even after running a regen on it they want to regen on their own more often. So I have been blowing them out, running a regen, then putting on the freeway and running the crap out of it for an hour or two. I have noticed even after I have done a regen on it when I get hot and start working it the high exhaust temp comes on and starts the regen process. The last ran for about 45 mins of drive time. After a long hard drive on it I havent had any more issues with it. Just my 2 cents worth. Being hotter climate I can run the a/c year round so I can stick more load on it when I'm running it, and bending the speed limit law helps too. Lol.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  07:39:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got another in today, different bus only 2637 face plugged. Again, no oil contamination that I can see. I'm gonna start telling the drivers the camera records the regeneration drive data, LOL.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
467 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  04:31:56 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have your Cummins guy check the regen parameters we hade a three year old bus with a plugged dpf and found the factory programed it for manual regen only not auto regen. Our service tech was amazed it ran that long without a regen.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  1:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked that, I set it to manual then back after I was finished. There may be a calibration update though. I got to get the newest dvd.
quote:
Originally posted by tigger2

Have your Cummins guy check the regen parameters we hade a three year old bus with a plugged dpf and found the factory programed it for manual regen only not auto regen. Our service tech was amazed it ran that long without a regen.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000