New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1312 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  11:25:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey guys i am looking at an 06 and 07 internation ce bus with a 365 motor i have never worked on or seen a 365 i only have experiance with the 444 and 466 my question is is this motor good any problems i should look for any input would be helpful thanks....

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  12:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion you should keep your record clean (never worked on or seen a 365). I do not like these engines, but of course I don't like any of the new International equipment. They went wrong when they swore off DEF. Of course I don't like DEF either. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1312 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  12:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i here u i dont really like international either but there is what seems to be a good deal for three of them and just tryin to find out how bad they are as far as international goes
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  1:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have a reputation for injector and EGR cooler trouble. The later built engines are somewhat better but the buses would likely have to be model year 2008 to have the benefit of the later builds.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  1:33:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dsalinas1939

... there is what seems to be a good deal for three of them...

There is no such thing, unless the person you are receiving them from is paying you to take them.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  1:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

quote:

There is no such thing, unless the person you are receiving them from is paying you to take them.

I knew somebody would chime in with an unsugarcoated version

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2013 :  1:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

quote:

I knew somebody would chime in with an unsugarcoated version

Fastback, I figured you'd be all in on those. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  03:03:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just remember, there is a reason that someone is getting rid of that new of a bus. As I see it, there are three possibilities:

1. State/agency age/mileage limit
2. State/agency/company has more money than they know what to do with
3. The bus is garbage and they want to unload it

Which applies here?
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  04:47:39 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We have six of them in our fleet. They are 2007s. They have a few electrical connections that will have to be repaired, if they haven't already. There are electrical problems due to the weather seal not sealing on the door to the electrical access under the driver's window. They have a IPR injection pressure control regualtor that has a screen on it that will fail because of the screen itself coming apart and getting into the spool valve.

Whatever you do, keep the cooling system working, and inspected, flushed and make sure there are not air pockets in it.

They have a tight turing radius, get ready for front suspension work.

The brakes system leaves a lot to be desired, but works. But I like air brakes.

The injectors are not to hard to replace, but will be a constant problem.

I hear with the recent budget cuts, the US Navy is looking for new updated anchors :)

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1312 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2013 :  11:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
these buses are from a leasing company a small bus company owned them and the lease was up and no the leasing company is selling them
Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  05:11:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are several problems with these motors, as noted above. I avoid 365's like the plague. The EGR coolers fail & leak, numerous injector issues, head gasket problems. head bolt problems, electrical issues, and they are severly underpowered for a full size school bus so they are working at max capacity most of the time on the road. On the highway they have a hard time keeping up with traffic at 65MPH. They are extremely doggy and slow. Be prepared for driver complaints & get used to it being in the shop.

Safety in all things, always!
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  05:54:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can buy them for less than scrap value then its a good deal. These will deflate your budget quickly. You will also need a larger spare fleet if you are wanting these to be route buses. As they will bet the #1 thorn in your side and spend much quality time in your shop.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  06:03:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sambrutay

If you can buy them for less than scrap value then its a good deal. These will deflate your budget quickly. You will also need a larger spare fleet if you are wanting these to be route buses. As they will bet the #1 thorn in your side and spend much quality time in your shop.

Great point on the scrap value lol!

Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  07:06:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derbybug

There are several problems with these motors, as noted above. I avoid 365's like the plague. The EGR coolers fail & leak, numerous injector issues, head gasket problems. head bolt problems, electrical issues, and they are severly underpowered for a full size school bus so they are working at max capacity most of the time on the road. On the highway they have a hard time keeping up with traffic at 65MPH. They are extremely doggy and slow. Be prepared for driver complaints & get used to it being in the shop.

But at least the oil pan is an easy R & R on this V8

Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  07:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 22 VT365 engines in fleet and they are CONSTANT headaches. I could list at least 20 areas requiring frequent work. This is the highest cost of ownership engine of anyone out there! Keep your record clean and never work on one!
Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  09:53:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Search for "ford flamethrower" on youtube if you want to see what these engines are like. Ford had some major problems with this engine from the beginning. There's some pretty funny videos of these things throwing some pretty serious flames out the tail pipe.

Go to Top of Page

turbine

United States
49 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  10:02:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stay away from the VT-365 engine. We have 20 of them in our fleet and they are unreliable and costly to operate. Engine wireing problems / IDMs / EGR coolers / STC fittings / Injectors /!
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  10:54:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derbybug

Search for "ford flamethrower" on youtube if you want to see what these engines are like. Ford had some major problems with this engine from the beginning. There's some pretty funny videos of these things throwing some pretty serious flames out the tail pipe.

Ummm, i don't believe thats the VT365/6.0......the videos are of the 6.4 and early issues with the DPF regeneration

Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  08:27:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The early 6.0s were the original flamethrowers.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000