Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Bus seat repair
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Herb Delasco

5 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  08:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Herb Delasco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How do I keep the tape edges from rolling up on the seats? Iv used the heat gun and rubbed the tape in very good. Is Their something to paint the tape edge with to prevent the rolling up.

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  2:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have found the best thing to do is recover it with a new cover. Kids seem to pick at repairs.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  07:41:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cut a circle or oval out of an old seat cover the same color and glue it over the hole. Pencil pokes I just glue over. Don't forget to review the DVR footage as well. Question who was in that seat.Respect for public/private property should be learned at an early age. A bill for a seat cover and labor helps them learn.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  08:01:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last month I invoiced a 15 year old kid (well, his parents) for 4 seat covers IN ONE DAY. Had him on camera, very obviously punching holes in the back in front of him, back across from him, cushion he was on and cushion across from him.

Of course he didn't do it. Should have seen the look on his face when I clicked "play" on the computer!

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 03/11/2013 08:02:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2013 :  10:05:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wolf & Thomas, I agree wholeheartedly! I still make some repairs with my World Wide Vinyl kit but one tub of raw vinyl has lasted me 5 or more years. Mostly I just replace the cover & bill the parents.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  1:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Management here doesn't bill parents anymore. It's claimed that too much time and effort is required to make them pay up and it's cheaper just to eat the cost.
BTW, that's a great idea Wolf. I never thought about using an old cover to make patches.

Edited by - raytobe on 03/12/2013 1:17:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  02:59:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's easy to get them to pay here. Either pay, or you don't pass/graduate.
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  03:31:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is what we do here either pay for the seat cover or you do not get your grade card.Everyone we have caught seems to come up with the money. We also charge for the labor to replace the cover even though it is done in house.
Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  04:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I charge the students (parents) for the damage to seats as well. The school considers it vandalism to school property, even though we are a private contractor. The guilty party is suspended from riding the bus until the damage is paid for. And I do charge for my labor to replace/repair the damage. Usually comes to around $100. We dont have recording devices in any of our buses, but we can usually figure out who is responsible, since we are a smaller district and everyone knows everyone. I teach the students not to damage the seats from the time they are in kindergarten, so they know what is expected from the beginning. I consider seat damage & repairs a complete waste of my time in the shop since it is 100% avoidable. I have 500 other things to do rather than repair seats.

Safety in all things, always!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  09:03:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derbybug

I have 500 other things to do rather than repair seats.

Isn't that the truth!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

ic0730

18 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  6:59:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit ic0730's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Herb Delasco

How do I keep the tape edges from rolling up on the seats? Iv used the heat gun and rubbed the tape in very good. Is Their something to paint the tape edge with to prevent the rolling up.

just put some super glue on before you put tape on and around edges when done
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000