Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 front tire wear badly to outside
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

peterbuilt1024

2 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  09:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit peterbuilt1024's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello guys hope all is well. I have a bus that is on a freightliner frame. The 2 front tires are wearing very badly to the outside. I put these tires on brand new in november 2012 and now march 1 2013 they are down to the wires on the outside and half tread on the inside. The tires a re 8R 19.5. everything seems tight and looks good also replaced the front shocks in november. please help

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  11:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you checked the toe setting? If you wipe your hand across the tire tread does it feel smooth in one direction but have sharp edges going the opposite direction?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  11:35:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely check the front end alignment.

Beyond that, I will add that the last couple of years I have seen almost unbearable wear out of both Goodyear and Michelin 8r19.5's. They used to last a good long time, then something changed, and I'd be luck to get a year out of them.

So I switched to 225/70R19.5's and saw quite the difference in wear. Those are also a wider tire, and I like that. Talk to your tire guy after the alignment check. You're gonna need new ones anyway.
Go to Top of Page

offroadwolf1

33 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  11:54:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You didnt mention year and mileage of it. But sounds to me like its time to send for an alignment. You can check the toe yourself but if you havent replaced any front end parts I wouldnt see a change in toe that fast if all the parts are good. If the alignment checks out all good then change tire brands. Some tires are just built with a softer shoulder and can wear much faster. I have ran some cheaper tires and they didnt last for nothing.
Go to Top of Page

peterbuilt1024

2 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  12:36:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit peterbuilt1024's Homepage  Reply with Quote
as far as the toe goes the tire is smooth in both directions. i have not changed no other parts except new shocks and new brakes. i don't see no adjustments. the front consists of axle, king pin, spindle, wheel bearings. everything feels tight. 96 freightliner chassis 120k cummins engine.if the alignment is off how would you change that if there are no adjustments? Thanks for the help.....
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  2:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check for a bent axle. I had a 2008 Vision that was in a light collision with a car. Evidently it was enough to bend the axle to wear the tires. The alignment shop told me the axle was bent. After replacing the new axle, toe-in was NOT changed by me. I took it back to the alignment guys and they said toe-in was perfect. Tie rod adjusters were never moved that I could tell.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  6:28:48 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
peterbilt, I have not ever seen a medium or HD truck without an adjustable tie rod. Do a complete front end inspection, if you don't know how to do it, find someone that does. Kingpin wear can also cause tire wear on the outside edge of tires.

There is a lot of training out there, if you need it. We have no idea of how much you know.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2013 :  12:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And check the tie rod itself to make sure someone didn't bend it banging into something. That'll throw your toe off. Example: Not dropping the back axle end of one of our in-ground lifts all the way, and hitting it on the tie rod while backing up. I've seen that about 5 times over the years. Only took one time for me to figure it out. Ouch!
Go to Top of Page

offroadwolf1

33 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2013 :  1:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to send it for an alignment, sounds to me like your camber is down. Over time any I-beam solid axle will loose camber, just the nature of the beast. In all my years I have never replaced one due to it being bent. I have straightened them for years. With the right equipment and knowledge the axles can always be fixed. Being a 96 bus with a 120k on it and outer tire wear, my money is on the camber being off. You need to find an alignment shop that can adjust caster, camber, and toe. I have seen mobile trucks running around that set caster and toe, don't waste your money. From what your seeing on the tire thats a simple bend and pretty quick to fix. In the event you have a square tube front axle on that bus it will have to be replaced. You can't bend a square tube axle.
Go to Top of Page

bbassett

7 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  08:22:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbassett's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Send it in and have it professionally aligned. If you keep having issues try to change tire sizes. Those small tires are famous for wearing out fast.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000