Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 T444E Oil Drain, does it all leave?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andrew Bienhaus

23 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2013 :  3:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Andrew Bienhaus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seems silly to ask... but with the discussion elsewhere about the injectors being hydraulically assisted/driven; when you drain the oil from the engine, do you get it all?
Or is some left in the injector area, high pressure pump, reservoir, etc?

My reason for asking, is that I have a flush chemical I like to use (and have used safely 100 times before) on engines being cleaned and converted to synthetic.

However, in all cases, they fully drain back to the pan when stopped. (so there is no chance of old oil and residual flush being left behind)

Is that the case with the T444E?

Thanks!
Andy

Andrew Bienhaus

23 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  5:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Andrew Bienhaus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No thoughts from anyone?
Now that I have seen the injectors (had rocker cover off) I am 99% sure injectors will drain ok... but I keep reading reference to high pressure oil pump, and oil reservoir.

Are these things that drain ok when the engine shuts down?

thanks!
Go to Top of Page

mike9

19 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  9:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, you will still have oil in hpp,and in heads.
Go to Top of Page

Derbybug

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  04:31:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There will be oil left in the upper end, mainly in the HPOP reservoir. If you drain the oil pan you can remove the plug from the HPOP and it is still full. As part of my long term maintenance on the 444s, I change out the upper end oil about every 100K. I just remove the small cap on the HPOP reservoir on the front of the engine and siphon the oil out. I use a vacuum pump & hose I made out of brake line & rubber fuel hose to get in there. I usually get about a quart of oil out, refill thru the EOP sensor hole with a turkey baster & small funnel, run the engine for about 10 mins. Repeat 2 more times. On the last refill I use a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil to help clean & lube the injectors.

Safety in all things, always!
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  05:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The T444E retains 3 to 4 quarts of oil after a normal oil drain.

I have T444Es with over 200K miles, all have original injectors. I have never done anything special as far as draining HPOP res or flushing engine even though we did switch to 5W-40 synthetic oil at engine mid life.
If flushing is required to switch to synthetic oil, how do you explain oils that are synthetic blends?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 04/08/2013 05:41:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Bienhaus

23 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  06:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Andrew Bienhaus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No no, not required, just ideal process, that's all.
The flush attacks buildups, sludge, thins the oil... etc.
You'd never raise it above idle, when doing it.

DerbyBug, thanks.
Good process.

But, under normal operation fresh oil is all circulated through these spots, so really what you're doing is a little preventative maint, in case any deposits or gunk have built up in there... Correct?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000