Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Where can school bus drivers get protection
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

janetkillen

4 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  09:05:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit janetkillen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A driver of 26 years that has never had a report with school district was fired after 2 students bullied her then lied as to what happened.Two students threw pencils at the bus driver when the driver tried to address the issue by 2-waying arthorities and no one responded to her try to handle it herself by getting names to write the boys up. the boys started cursing at her and treating her worst till finally got the names.But the 1 boy said as he was getting off the bus, This isn't over. Well it wasn't. The boy got two of his friends to say the driver grabbed ahold of him, the district had the driver fired. Parents of other students have heard what has happened and have been calling district office but they refuse to speak to the parents to other children that was on the bus and seen what happened. Now with this being said, where do us as Bus drivers get our protection from children that know they can say or do whatever they want to do to us but we have NO help backing us up? Can anyone tell me what dirrection we can take to help this driver get her job back and not let it happen to another?

FrankP

53 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  12:17:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit FrankP's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hopefully JK is out there. He always has good insight into this kind of thing. I can only assume there was no camera on the bus--your drivers should be demanding them.
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  1:54:05 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Try PAGE or similar organization

www.pageinc.org

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

janetkillen

4 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  06:49:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit janetkillen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
True Frank, The school district says it is invasion of privacy for the children. I feel until they are adults they dont need privacy. No different then if they were at the mall..All the parents have called the district and school to help the driver get her job back but the distrtict won't speak and the school says they have to call the district.. There really isn't any protection for us as drivers.
Go to Top of Page

FrankP

53 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  2:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit FrankP's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's NOT an "invasion of privacy," that's ridiculous. These cameras come with large, clear stickers that state that the interior of the bus may be under video surveillance. Those who don't like it, don't ride. Have the parents thought about getting together and putting the item on the agenda at the next school board meeting? By law, they cannot be refused.
Go to Top of Page

littlebit
Advanced Member

431 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  7:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats the reason I love the fact my bus has a camera. It not only protects the students but it also protects me. I very seldom have had to use it, but the few times that I have, it has saved my life.
As far as your friend, don't know what advice I could offer. Sadly its a case of he said she said with no proof..

Bus 34
Go to Top of Page

mcgoo

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2013 :  11:09:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit mcgoo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
26 years and this is what happens? Something wrong with this school district management.
Go to Top of Page

janetkillen

4 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2013 :  08:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit janetkillen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank P, Just wanted to let you know I am going to the Board Meeting about this situation thanks for your thought.
Mcgoo, yes thats what i was thinking.
Go to Top of Page

coolbuskid

51 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2013 :  8:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a typical avoidance game of blaming the bus driver. You report the problem to the school bureaucrats, and they get upset because you made work for them. So, they turn the problem back to the bus driver and tell him or her to follow some stupid paperwork procedure. If a complaint from anybody then makes more work, they get rid of their problem by blaming the bus driver for anything that will cause a dismissal from employment. That's why, whether in a classroom, cafeteria, or bus, I would never again report any problem to the school bureaucrats. I'd pick up the phone and call the real authorities, or just take the hits. If it's something that is interfering with the safe operation of a commercial vehicle, that's not a school matter. It's a transportation matter, and should be reported as such.
Go to Top of Page

FrankP

53 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2013 :  3:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit FrankP's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@ Janet: Best of luck to you! Remember to keep a cool head and present your case clearly and concisely. Don't let them "rattle" you. They WILL try!

@coolbuskid: Wow, you read my mind! I've had problems with students AND teachers, (one ran my reds and gave me "attitude". I turned him in to the DMV.) and my boss has backed me 110%. What they found out is if they want to wrongfully "push" me, they'll get a "shove" in return. The school's unwillingness to deal with behavior issues prompted me to refuse to have anything to do with a particular school, citing safety reasons. I put it in writing and CC'd everyone under the sun. My refusal stands to this day until the school changes principals, or he undergoes safety training that I consider acceptable. That's the only time I ever played the "safety card," and here in Mass. the law allows me to do that. Not to be abused of course, but this was a no-win situation.
Go to Top of Page

BoomSwagga

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2013 :  5:52:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The camera is for YOUR protection and the students' protection. I have witnessed this a lot during high school. Kids would TORMENT drivers if they were late or adhered to the law (i.e driving safely, not speeding to the school). Not only have I seen this, but I was called down to the office twice to be the eyes and ears for my driver. I threw those kids under the bus (irony), because they have no respect and appreciation for what their elders have to do for them. SOMEONE has to have a voice to stand alongside the driver's.

My perspective: This man is driving me to school, because it's his job. He enjoys what he does and shouldn't have to babysit 16 year old brats at the same time. Plus, he has to focus on the road ten times as much, because there are 25 students he has to keep ALIVE. I chat with him about buses and current events while he drives, but BLAME, lie, and get him fired after 26 years? Wow. Am I the only teen with a conscience around here? That's sickening and those parents need get some sense. Drivers: Stick to your guns and report it immediately. If the transit bus drivers can have a protective chamber surrounding them, why can't you all have functioning cameras?

Wolverine vs The Vision
Ouch! :D

Edited by - BoomSwagga on 02/21/2013 5:54:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Dave

United States
120 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  7:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thing you can do to protect drivers is to form a labor union. It is your right to do so. Some fellow workers, even those complaining the loudest, will balk. The company will try to stop you. But if you try you may succeed and be free of employer maltreatment. Contact the AFL-CIO or the Teamsters they know the law and will help you.

Shiny side up

Greasy side down
Go to Top of Page

WallyG
Advanced Member

United States
255 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2013 :  11:11:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NLRB - National Labor Relations Board. They are a government body which protects employees from something like this, she can also file a civil suit for her job back and damages. Good Luck
Go to Top of Page

DerekSmith

4 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  1:48:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit DerekSmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised your management hasn't already installed school bus cameras. The potential liability here is huge, and the cameras help to protect both the driver and the students. In any situation like that on a school bus, where children are supervised by too few adults, these types of situations are going to arise.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000