Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Fuel additives for ulsd #2 diesel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gmacdougall

2 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  06:13:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit gmacdougall's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am looking for info from current users of fuel additives for #2 diesel-(ulsd. what have your experiences been? is it cost effective? what are the benefits as compared to the costs?
G. MacDougall
gmacdougall@fusdaz.org

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  07:29:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I had a fuel storage tanks I dropped fuel additive into the diesel storage tank. The additive that I used also raised the cetane level so I added it year round. I got mine from Certified Labs. Now that I don't have a storage tank I buy mine from a local station that winterizes their fuel.
Go to Top of Page

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  09:43:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our fuel supplier New Alliance F/S injects an additive Dieselex Gold into the fuel as they refill the tanks. Not sure about raising the cetane level,but dang sure makes them smoke a lot less. Had comments from the drivers about the reduced fumes without saying a word to them. So it isn't my imagination. The cost I think is .02 a gallon more.

It is also supposed to help with the bugs and algae. I check the tanks annually. So far so good.

Before that, I splash blended a BG additive.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  09:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried to get my previous supervisor to OK the testing of this product, but he was afraid of screwing up our Cummins warranties: http://www.wsbindustries.com/Fuel%20Additives.htm. I actually use the boost tabs in my own car and see some mileage benefits.

We used to fill our new fuel filters on annual with SeaFoam SF-16, but have switched to Lubro-Moly Diesel Purge LM2005 as it is cheaper and specifically designed for diesels.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  10:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@sob, do you have units with DPF's? If so, are you seeing more time between regens? The salesman for the WSB product above claimed it would do that.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  11:40:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't use any additives, just BP Premier fuel blended with #1 at a ratio determined by ambient temperature.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  03:18:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our supplier does not handle #1 diesel we used to blend kerosene to our fuel in the winter to prevent jelling. I went to the additive because it also raised the cetane.
Go to Top of Page

sob

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  04:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ partsman, I work on a fleet of "Dino" buses, the newest thing in the fleet is an "06". DPF's, none on the horizon. Sorry, I'm no help.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2013 :  1:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=45

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  09:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problems with my fuel. I use an FS member company and I tell them they live in the same world I live in and they have diesel engines too. So they use their own discretion when adding an additive to the fuel. By the way, I don't have to add anything to my propane fuel and don't even have to plug them in. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000