New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2179 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  1:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The dealer doesn't stock these anymore. Besides it would cost over $500 just for the lines. I have a NAPA store that can make them out of high pressure hose but routing them would be hell. All 3 lines leak at the crimped on hoses. I am unsure if the steel ends are barbed or not for just replacing the rubber parts.

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  2:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've noticed the GM 6500 midrange support is drying up fast. These orphans are becoming garage queens waiting for parts...I've got some F700's in the same boat.
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
65 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2013 :  08:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have cut the steel lines above the crimp and bought bulk trans cooler line and slipped over the steel ends with hose clamps, this was on smaller GMC busses with 3/8" steel tubes. The IH's with 545's we just make them out of hydraulic hose usually 3/8" is plenty and easier to work with than 1/2".
Go to Top of Page

L.J.D

United States
173 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  06:27:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wolf, carefully take off the OEM lines and take them to a hydraulic shop. The local shop near me would reuse the hard line, and crimp new hyd line onto them. The cost of doing it this way was about half of the GM ones from the dealer assuming you could find them. If it wasnt for the fitting that go into the radiator you could just make allnew lines. I looked and looked and could not match up anything that would screw into the radiator. good luck

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2179 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  12:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what we got planned. Pull them off and try and replace the rubber hoses. The bus doesn't sit still long enough for me to fix it. Somebody always needs to borrow the thing.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  6:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You know those were actually pretty good buses and its a shame that parts are so hard to get now and making the bus obsolete. I have a 95 that needs the brackets that the calipers mount to and finding them isnt fun.....

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
2356 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  07:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C.HARDY

You know those were actually pretty good buses and its a shame that parts are so hard to get now and making the bus obsolete. I have a 95 that needs the brackets that the calipers mount to and finding them isnt fun.....

Yes, I have drivers that would rather drive a GM chassis than any of our ICs. I have been getting mixed reviews on the Blue Bird chassis, some drivers like them as well as the GM and some don't. I think it has a lot to do with the ride. It seems as if the GM chassis was the pinnacle of the industry. I hope my opinion proves to be wrong in the future.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2013 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000