New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  11:08:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to start a general discussion about the future of busing. Do you think, with the economy the way it is, that we will be seeing less routes, buses, & drivers? Or do you think we will see less safe buses on the road. In our state many districts are leasing their buses for 3 or 5 years because they get more back from the state (or at least that's the perception). Do you think this will change and what will happen if it does? I am talking both with actual busing on a local level and the bus business as a whole. Will the manufactures change their way of putting together a bus because buses are being kept longer or will they still build them to throw away? Will small districts keep buying their own buses and keep someone to repair them or will they contract? What will the contractors do? How will affect their business?

I just want some thoughts. I have no agenda here just got to thinking about it after the discussion on the Lion bus thread.

bbarr

22 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  12:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbarr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great topic! Eventually school districts needs to get away from the initial price of the vehicle as the sole purpose for choosing a bus. Life Cycle costing has got to become a key compenent in figuring out which bus to buy. If you notice the Thomas press release, the improved corrosion resistance is still just an option. Why, because people won't pay for it even in the northen climates. Financing of buses is something that I have discusses with districts in Colorado. The one I spoke with is getting financed at around 1.5%, he able to turn over his fleet every 7-8 years before real heavy maintenence issues start to happen.

I always say that the biggest difference between the public operator and private operator is life cycle cost. That private operator is looking at everything, even over specing (LED Lights, etc) that will increase the cost of the bus but will cut maintenence and improve safety.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  2:16:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Colorado and Washington states should now be able to afford to give money to the schools. If the feds don't shut it down.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  5:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about North Dakota, Wolf? It would be interesting to see the money flowing into the schools out there. LOL, they might be running charter style buses.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000