New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2012 :  10:03:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you guys think about this? http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/Channel/Regulations/News/2012/10/25/N-Y-bill-would-require-ignition-interlocks-on-school-buses.aspx?ref=Newsline-20121025&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Enewsletter

I can see the post on this forum now. I can't start my bus in the mornings, but in the afternoon I have no problems. Response: Have you tried a different mouth wash? LOL

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2012 :  4:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

What do you guys think about this? http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/Channel/Regulations/News/2012/10/25/N-Y-bill-would-require-ignition-interlocks-on-school-buses.aspx?ref=Newsline-20121025&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Enewsletter

I can see the post on this forum now. I can't start my bus in the mornings, but in the afternoon I have no problems. Response: Have you tried a different mouth wash? LOL

More parts to break, more money in some vendor's pockets, and yet another reason to feel like a criminal when climbing behind the wheel of a school bus.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2012 :  08:41:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can easily see this happening. Its unfortunate that we live in a world where things have to be built to deal with the least common denominator of person. Its only going to get worse. Just wait for automatic braking systems, sleeping driver detection system, standing children detectors, hands out window detectors, seat belt use detectors, cell phones that prevent texting while moving laws, smoke alarms inside busses, kid catchers in front of the tires ect.

Even though the overwhelming majority of bus drivers do thier job to the best of thier abilities all it takes is a couple of bad ones to cause problems.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  03:25:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Typical. A couple of clowns aren't bright enough to figure out that they shouldn't drive a bus after/while drinking, so a bunch of other clowns decide to make all bus drivers look like criminals. It's hard enough to get drivers without the goverment "helping" us like this.

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 10/29/2012 03:27:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  07:35:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Typical. A couple of clowns aren't bright enough to figure out that they shouldn't drive a bus after/while drinking, so a bunch of other clowns decide to make all bus drivers look like criminals. It's hard enough to get drivers without the goverment "helping" us like this.

Very true. Mastertech, I have thought about some of the things you mention. I think when we have to put on standing child detectors I will just retire. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  07:47:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can the breath machine detect medicinal maryjane?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 10/29/2012 07:48:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  11:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
To me it comes down to the fact that there is no way anyone can fix stupid, no matter how many laws and mandates get passed.

The place I use to work, use to purchase semi trucks with curtains you could put up in the windshields and door windows, kinda like what motor-homes have for privacy when parked.
big square in the middle had this permanently printed on it

" This curtain is not for use while vehicle is in motion"
Go to Top of Page

Troy87

United States
52 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  05:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately there are more of those "least common denominators" out there than u may think. It is sad that we have to deal with more 'add ons' to the buses, because of those that mess up, but our number one concern IS the safety of the children.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  07:20:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troy87

Unfortunately there are more of those "least common denominators" out there than u may think. It is sad that we have to deal with more 'add ons' to the buses, because of those that mess up, but our number one concern IS the safety of the children.

When does a "safety" item become the problem though? I understand what you are talking about with "least common denominator" but I would challenge the conventional wisdom in that by saying a bus driver is the best of the best. Now, I know there are "some" drivers that drive us nuts but I still think school bus drivers are the best drivers out there.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  6:54:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can remember quite a few instances back in the late 70s of pulling a bus into the shop and there being a weed roach on the dash or panel somewhere. Driver toking it up in the lot and getting too stoned to remember to take the roach.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4546 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  03:11:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This system was designed with a First Student driver in Columbus, Ohio in mind! It was maybe five years ago when he made an illegal U-turn right in front of a police car and got stopped. He didn't remember to hide his vodka bottle OR his crack pipe when the cop came up to ticket him. True story.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  10:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There one more recent than that. Here it is: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/long_island_school_that_driver_slapped_TCWcT1Gwcl7dm8hPapjTlJ

The article says there were two earlier in the month (October)

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2012 :  2:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

Can the breath machine detect medicinal maryjane?

They random pee test for that. So if a guy smokes a joint over the weekend and is sober driving the bus Monday...he/she still gets fired.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  05:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonder how that will work out in the states that just legalized maryjane? Bunch of morons. Just saw a guy on the news this morning (former adict) that said this stuff is different than alcohol in that you don't "know" your getting high until it's too late. Or in other words you can't "self regulate". Don't know and won't be finding out. lol Terrible things come along when a society is in decline. It's going to get interesting.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  2:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Wonder how that will work out in the states that just legalized maryjane? Bunch of morons. Just saw a guy on the news this morning (former adict) that said this stuff is different than alcohol in that you don't "know" your getting high until it's too late. Or in other words you can't "self regulate". Don't know and won't be finding out. lol Terrible things come along when a society is in decline. It's going to get interesting.

Bryan I don't see the decline of western civilization stemming from Cannabis legalization. We survived prohibition, relegalized alcohol and prospered. Drink and smoke responsibly, keep it away from your kids. Although the cannabis won't kill them the alcohol will if consumed excessively.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000