Enter Forum: General Interest
 Hydraulic Brakes W/ Air Park Brake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbuilt_547

23 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  08:06:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody used this set up before? So far i've only seen it on an IC/International chassis. What are your thoughts? Effective? Useless? Prone to breaking etc?

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  10:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ive seen it on International 3800s ,older IC CEs , REs , FEs , Thomas FS65s. Nice thing about them is not having to reach down to pull the parking brake lever at every bus stop. Thats the only plus I can think of.

Robert B.

Edited by - 78fordwayne on 10/17/2012 10:14:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbuilt_547

23 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  10:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never knew they had em on FS65's. Also didn't know you had to pull the brake at every stop. Is it just precautionary? Maryland doesn't require this far as I know.

All I need is my Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  11:44:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More and more states are requiring the brake be set at every stop to be sure that bus doesn't easily move. We've been doing it here since 1999 for all left hand stops and railroads, with right hand stops being recommended. Starting this year, it is manditory for all stops.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  2:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.schoolbusland.com/thomas/38297.htm
This is one. I know its hard to tell from the pictures other than it only has 1 air guage
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  4:35:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
To add, I have seen many commercial version Freightliner M2 and Freightliner S2 chassis with hydraulic foundation brakes and air operated parking brakes. In that arrangement, an air chamber sits up on the chassis rail which pulls on the lever or cable to operate the driveline-mounted parking brake. Similar in concept to IC's spring applied/hydraulic release arrangement. A non-manual parking brake is pretty much essential for anything with a lift because of the interlocks required these days. To lock-out the release of a manual lever operated parking brake requires some seriously laborious mechanical intervention.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  03:01:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Ford 85-16

Similar in concept to IC's spring applied/hydraulic release arrangement.

With one tiny difference: The air park brake isn't a balled up piece of sh** like that IC thing.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  1:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

quote:

With one tiny difference: The air park brake isn't a balled up piece of sh** like that IC thing.

Shivering with memories of Fords Lucas Girling setup

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  4:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

quote:

Tell that to my boss who just put 30 new Thomas C2s on the road Monday and are breaking down left and right.
Next year its back to IC.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2012 :  05:51:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

[/quote]
Tell that to my boss who just put 30 new Thomas C2s on the road...
[/quote]

That was his first mistake.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2012 :  07:04:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PA requires you to set the parking brakes and place the bus in netural at every stop. Most driver's just set the parking brake. {{guilty}}. I have moved a few IC's this past summer with the air parking brake. I hated it! You had to hold in the brake knob for it to release and pull and hold the knob for it to set. I'm just use to just pushing the knob in and going. Takes up too much time haha

I'll show you my air brakes if you show me yours.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2012 :  02:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bus Boy 39

PA requires you to set the parking brakes and place the bus in netural at every stop. Most driver's just set the parking brake. {{guilty}}. I have moved a few IC's this past summer with the air parking brake. I hated it! You had to hold in the brake knob for it to release and pull and hold the knob for it to set. I'm just use to just pushing the knob in and going. Takes up too much time haha

Thats not an air released parking brake if you have to hold it in
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbuilt_547

23 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2012 :  08:05:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen it done in PA, just didn't know if it was some federal law that Maryland somehow jumped through or not.

All I need is my Thomas
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2012 :  12:17:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Oklahoma you are required to set the parking brake and shift to neutral at all student stops. At railroad crossings only if the arms are down or you have to wait on a train to cross.
Go to Top of Page

bigredmachine

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2012 :  5:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Ohio you have to set the parking brake for student pick ups and drop offs, as well as railroad crossings. Pretty much any time that the door opens. Regardless, all of our buses have an interlock system that applies the service brakes when the red warning lights are activated.

Formerly BlueBirdMan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  03:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just FYI- If equipped with the interlock system, you are exempt from the parking brake requirement when doing student picks up/drop offs here in Ohio.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000