Better off today than a decade ago?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  10:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Web searches often include links to excellent posts going back as far as 2001. I was amazed by how much discussed over a decade ago is still current today. A post can resume an old thread without skipping a heartbeat and still appear current, so little has changed.

A few complain about reopening old threads, but I like some of the old ones, so interesting.

There have been a few changes. Seat belts have become popular among parents, escalating parents mandating the device in many communities in not-mandated states, and as predicted prices are dropping for those safety devices.

Greyhound switched from against to installing the safety devices on their buses, that industry now claiming to have the safest buses on the roads.

We hardly heard anything concerning bullying on the school buses in 2001. To bring up the issue back in those earlier years could easily bring bullies thrashing about on this forum. Now anti-bullying is an open nationwide issue and activity.

A bullied school bus monitor gets over $700,000 in donations to retire on, and may well be the trigger event that caused so many bus drivers and monitors to whistleblow on the industry's lack of stopping bullying on the school buses. Regardless of all the recent years advertising many are reporting bullying on the school buses has become worse, not better.

Especially sad are the all to many events hurting kids, their school bus drivers, and this industry. Leaving a child has increased to 60-percent terminated from 40-percent in 2001. Access for schoolchildren to ride the school bus seems to have gotten worse. Yet, still a bus driver shortage in many areas of our country. How could that be?

Otherwise, not much has changed. Two decades and not much different. Yes, some great improvements in technology, but not much improvement in people. People seem no different, remain much the same, no quantum leap in evolution for people.

At least 2012 seems free of the world ending. One more end of the world theory ready for the history books. No doubt, another theory will come along soon enough to keep us on our toes for awhile.

My question is, are we better off today than a decade ago? Ought to be, lots of industry experts out there declared the remedies that long ago. So if we are not better off, why not?

I'm better off. Survived several heart attacks, the last one a few months ago - guess I have a Timex heart. Retired but still helping keep kids safe on the school buses. Doing well at this point. Have no idea what tomorrow may bring.

Hope all is well with every one of you. If not hope things change for the better, and soon. ~ jk

Facebook

Website

Edited by - JK on 10/04/2012 10:54:31 AM

Mr. Dave

United States
120 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  06:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greeting old friend. Sorry to hear of your health problems. You are one of the greats in the industry. I am encouraged by the seat belt progress. What we need are seat belts and rules that riders use them. With kids belted, saet on the seat, back on the back, feet on the floor, they will be resticted in movement about the bus. Chidren being left on the bus. I remember when it was considdered the childs job to get his or her tiny butts off the bus. Of course that was back in the sixtys when I was a child. The next big thing needs to happen here in the south in air conditioning on all busses. This would keep the kids and driver cooler, and keep all windows closed. It is hard to toss junk out a closed window.

Shiny side up

Greasy side down
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000