Enter Forum: General Interest
 School bus without a radio
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbuilt_547

23 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  09:31:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always wondered this, if you had a bus wihtout a radio, could you easily pop the panel back and plug a radio in? Same with speakers could you cut out the metal and simply install speakers like plug and play? I've torn apart a '94 Thomas before and the speakers looked as if they were installed after the bus was built as an option. The holes were all jagged like someon eh ad cut them with a jigsaw. Any input?

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  10:14:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The buses we had of that vintage did have holes as you describe, so it may be that was a factory install!

Adding a radio is no plug and play. Unless the wiring was ordered in the bus, it wont be there, you would have to add it.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbuilt_547

23 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  12:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alright then sounds good. I'm looking at buying one without a radio to convert into a camper but i'm not going to let a radio steer me from buying a great bus.

All I need is my Thomas
Go to Top of Page

bigredmachine

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  4:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen aftermarket radios installed somewhat in that way. Instead of attempting to install the speakers in the ceiling, most just put two 6x9s in the front and rear bulkheads. A lot easier than fiddling with the ceiling and will give you much better sound. Now if you have a bus that would have speakers mounted on the side wire covers (Ward, Amtran, IC, Wayne), then you could probably pop them off and drill some holes.

Formerly BlueBirdMan
Go to Top of Page

thomas4life

7 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2016 :  05:10:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Broward County Public Schools doesn't have radios.

I'm not a driver, I'm a fan.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000