Read about the Great Fleets Across America
Subscribe

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Interest
 Enter Forum: General Interest
 How old do you have to be to drive?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thewallfan
Active Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2012 :  6:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am currently 16 and I was wondering how old you need to be in Ohio to get your CDL to drive school bus. All over the internet I've been seeing either 18 or 21 years old. Is this a good part time job for a future college student.. oh and would it be possible to drive for the same school you go to?

Trailboss
Senior Member

United States
149 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  03:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a great part time for a college students.We have several School Districts that use college students. Just remember that it is your job. You will not be much older than some of the students you haul on the bus. I was 20 years old when I started driving and my wise boss told me to be friendly but not friends with the students. They will get you in trouble if you try to become friends with them and associate after hours.Our state is 18 for instate driving 21 if you cross into another state. We are close to the state line so we play sports across the state line.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
3312 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  07:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can get a CDL here in Ohio at 18, but effective July 1, 2012, you have to be 21 to be certified to drive school bus. VERY sore subject for at least three people I know of.
Go to Top of Page

thewallfan
Active Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  3:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

You can get a CDL here in Ohio at 18, but effective July 1, 2012, you have to be 21 to be certified to drive school bus. VERY sore subject for at least three people I know of.



Well that stinks! . Ill almost be out of college when i could maybe drive bus. My grandpa who has been driving for 53 years keeps telling me that its a great job with good demand. Why did they put the certifacation age to 21?

IC your CE

Edited by - thewallfan on 09/11/2012 3:23:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
3312 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  4:24:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. I got an email from the state back around January with a bunch of updates to take effect for this year and that was on it. Nobody that I know of saw it coming. The timing was bad for me personally because I am in desperate need of sub drivers, and had a good, solid 19 year old candidate.

I started when I was 18, heck I got my permit on my 18th birthday. I suppose I was a huge liability in hindsight...but now I'm the boss so... hahaha

Hang in there buddy! At least you weren't already driving or in the traning process when this went down, unlike at least two people I've heard of.

By the way, your grandfather may be the most senior driver in Ohio!!!!
Go to Top of Page

thewallfan
Active Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  7:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandpa started when he was 21, i was going to try to beat his record! Like you said, i was planing to get my permit at 18. im really glad that i haddent started my training yet! oh well, 21 is only 5 years away.

IC your CE
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  4:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
18 and 19 year olds in general are not mature enough to drive a school bus with children. People at that age do not fully understand the consequences of there actions. Some 18 and 19 year olds shouldnt even be driving a car.
Thats just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4165 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  5:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
78fordwayne, that decision is for employers on an individual basis. Anything else is age discrimination against a legal adult.

Edited by - Thomas Ford 85-16 on 09/12/2012 6:08:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

thewallfan
Active Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  5:58:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do agree that some 18/19 year olds shouldnt be driving a car, however that isnt the case, for instance me.

IC your CE
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3517 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  6:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I could see for insurance purposes why employers would not hire younger drivers. I hate to say it but I have to agree with Robert. You have to look at all aspects of the situation. If you are going to hire a bus driver, you are trusting that person with the lives of each pupil on that bus. Younger drivers tend not to be as experienced as older drivers. In most cases, I think there are local age limits regarding how old you have to be to operate a school bus (I think 21 is about the standard, however I hear there are still a few states that have it set at 18).

As far as driving for the same school you attend, I doubt they would let you do that. In fact, I can't imagine a school district hiring you as a bus driver if you are still attending that district. I could be wrong, but I just couldn't imagine that situation. Even if they did hire you, there is a higher risk of liability that you could be distracted because you would be transporting your peers at such a young age.

Just don't let what I said get you down. It's your dream, you should work towards fulfilling it. Just because a few may not agree with what you are doing doesn't mean you should give up hope or stop trying. But just realize, most important, that there is a lot more to driving a bus than just the bus itself (I think a lot of our younger bus enthusiasts on the forum tend to forget that sometimes...).
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

451 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  8:36:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most 18-20 year olds shouldn't drive school buses, period, with kids on board. I got my CDL permit the day I turned 18, and drove school buses empty without issue. But I don't think the maturity is there for most 18-20 year olds to drive with passengers.

Unfortunately the few mature 18-20 year olds have to suffer because of the majority.
Go to Top of Page

bigredmachine
Senior Member

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  10:21:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it has a lot to do with insurance. I know some places won't hire anyone under 25 for that reason.

Formerly BlueBirdMan
Go to Top of Page

thewallfan
Active Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  11:07:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jake

But just realize, most important, that there is a lot more to driving a bus than just the bus itself (I think a lot of our younger bus enthusiasts on the forum tend to forget that sometimes...).


Do you mean like being a mechanic, or cordinatior? I know for a fact that im not qualified to be a mechanic, but a cordinator may be a good option. Would a bigger school need someone to clean/wash the buses?

IC your CE
Go to Top of Page

bigredmachine
Senior Member

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  2:03:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think he was trying to make a point that a lot of younger bus enthusiasts are more interested in the buses themselves and don't realize that there are a lot more responsibilities that come with being a bus driver.

Formerly BlueBirdMan
Go to Top of Page

thewallfan
Active Member

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  4:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay i get what hes saying. Working with kids is something i need to work on, although i somehow got asked into being the moniter for the kids.

IC your CE
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2012 :  8:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Times sure have changed. When I was in high school in the late 60's, early 70's, they used to let students drive school buses. You had to be a senior with good grades. They would excuse you from your first and last periods.

I had a few friends that drove, and as I recall it was a pretty good deal. They paid like $3 per run, which doesn't sound like much, but minimum wage back then was $1 or $1.25 per hour!
Go to Top of Page

RD9000
Senior Member

72 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2012 :  2:14:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had friends and acquaintances tell of times when they both drove a school bus and attended the same school. In many of those cases, school buses were smaller than they are today. I think there are always exceptions to the rule. I have no problem with an 18 year old driving a school bus if they are capable, safe, and mature. It's the Director's job to make that call when hiring. I began driving school buses at 18. I was more mature than most. I never compromised safety, but I do remember laying some tire tracks getting used to those air brakes! I think one of the most difficult things for younger drivers is student management. Unfortunately, good behavior management only comes with experience!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbuilt_547
Active Member

23 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  07:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that North and South carolina both hire drivers who are 18 from the school. They park the bus at school during the day then drive It back to tye lot at night.

All I need is my Thomas
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

350 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  11:13:58 AM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You and I sound alot alike. I also started at 18 and now oversee the Transportation Operation at our school
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. I got an email from the state back around January with a bunch of updates to take effect for this year and that was on it. Nobody that I know of saw it coming. The timing was bad for me personally because I am in desperate need of sub drivers, and had a good, solid 19 year old candidate.

I started when I was 18, heck I got my permit on my 18th birthday. I suppose I was a huge liability in hindsight...but now I'm the boss so... hahaha

Hang in there buddy! At least you weren't already driving or in the traning process when this went down, unlike at least two people I've heard of.

By the way, your grandfather may be the most senior driver in Ohio!!!!


"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

esgameofsk8
New Member

6 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2012 :  5:30:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit esgameofsk8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jake


As far as driving for the same school you attend, I doubt they would let you do that. In fact, I can't imagine a school district hiring you as a bus driver if you are still attending that district. I could be wrong, but I just couldn't imagine that situation. Even if they did hire you, there is a higher risk of liability that you could be distracted because you would be transporting your peers at such a young age.



True, especially today it would be a one to a million chance. BUT!!! Years back I remember reading in the SBF mag that Robin Roberts, the sports reporter for ABC, (believe it or not) her first job was a school bus driver in her senior year. Yes you read that right!! She just happened to be 18 at the time, and her school desperately needed a driver for their sports team. She qualified and took all the necessary steps to drive. The school certainly emphasized to her that " OK you're not a student but a driver here. You must act accordingly." She did this for one year.

Edited by - esgameofsk8 on 10/02/2012 5:37:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
3312 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  02:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C.HARDY

You and I sound alot alike. I also started at 18 and now oversee the Transportation Operation at our school
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. I got an email from the state back around January with a bunch of updates to take effect for this year and that was on it. Nobody that I know of saw it coming. The timing was bad for me personally because I am in desperate need of sub drivers, and had a good, solid 19 year old candidate.

I started when I was 18, heck I got my permit on my 18th birthday. I suppose I was a huge liability in hindsight...but now I'm the boss so... hahaha

Hang in there buddy! At least you weren't already driving or in the traning process when this went down, unlike at least two people I've heard of.

By the way, your grandfather may be the most senior driver in Ohio!!!!





I should probably clarify that I am director at a different school district than the one I started with.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 


School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2013 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000