Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Governers on spedometers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

imadriver2

19 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2012 :  12:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit imadriver2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just curious to know how everyone feels about school busses being governed to drive slower than posted speed limits on Major Highways.

is it safer to drive slower?

Or is it a Hazard to be driving slower than the posted speed limits on Highways?

sbd37091

93 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  11:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our previous TD mandated a 55mph speed limit for our buses on the interstate, even though the posted speed limit is 70mph and the bus drivers hated it. It created a lot of bottle necks in traffic and angered many drivers.

We convinced our new director to allow us to go with the traffic up the posted speed limit and it is great. It is much safer and not as stgrenuous for the drivers when you are keeping out of other drivers way and not getting cut as soon as they pass you.
Go to Top of Page

FrankP

53 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  3:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit FrankP's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If a bus must have a governor, it should be set to the state's maximum speed limit. Anything else is unsafe, in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  06:25:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here in CT, school buses have a separate speed limit by state law. While most of the interstates are posted at 65, a yellow school bus is not allowed to go over 50 on any road in CT (or 40 on secondary roads). Yes, it creates a hazard, yes, it encourages people to do stupid things to get around you. But it's the law, so we get used to it. Just stay in the right lane and remember that if someone else causes an accident trying to get around you, that's their fault, not yours.
Go to Top of Page

mcgoo

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2012 :  12:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit mcgoo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's ridiculous traveling 15 miles per hour slower than the rest of traffic. Your politicians in that state of yours aren't too swift. Of course it's going to cause traffic congestion and very angry motorists. Some one in the government should wake up and change that law.
Go to Top of Page

RD9000

72 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2012 :  10:11:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Oklahoma, school buses are limited to 55mph on 2 lane roads and 65mph on divided highways. In my personal opinion, I believe it is unsafe. It causes bottle necks, encourages unsafe passing practices, and makes a school bus a target for accidents.
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  04:54:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RD9000 I agree with you about the speed laws in OK. In Kansas the speed limit for school buses is the posted speed limit.I do not hear of any accidents in Kansas that were caused by school buses going to fast. I think the speed limit should be the posted speed limit. Maybe we can work on that with the State Director.
Go to Top of Page

Bluemoon

2 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  12:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bluemoon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To drive on large highways, you must be able to merge. You cannot merge appropriately and safely unless you can match the speed of the majority of the traffic you are merging with. Therefore, being governed does handicap the driver in ways that are potentially very dangerous.
In addition, the governor inhibits the ability of the newer emissions control systems to work properly.We have to drop a gear and red line them on the highway in order to get the rpm's up high enough, long enough, to burn the system clean.
Almost all our new busses are having chronic problems due to this issue (and others).
Go to Top of Page

RD9000

72 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  2:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great point Bluemoon. I think another issue with speed capabilities is the natural governing of speed due to the drivetrain combination. Many buses I've had the "pleasure" of driving were ordered with a transmission/rear differential combination that didn't allow for highway speeds. I'm concerned and have heard stories of some directors ordering buses either without knowledge or simply copying previous spec sheets resulting in buses that are only good for in-town bus routes.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Dave

United States
120 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2012 :  05:49:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your TD gives permission to keep up with traffic on hyways, they will create a safer environment for the school bus. However if anything goes wrong and, GOD forbid, a child is injured or worse, the TD would be criminaly and civily liable. If it is suggested by a legislator that the law be changed, polititions will be unwilling to change the status quo for fear of being blamed if there is an incident. I used to be cut off by ---"drivers", and know the frustation, however the safty of your kids comes first, and second. Keeping yourself out of jail comes third. It's a devils bargin but it's all we've got.

Shiny side up

Greasy side down
Go to Top of Page

Star Wars Lunch Box

1 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  02:42:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Star Wars Lunch Box's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I went to re-certification we were told that going below the speed limit was not safe. Much to the dismay of our TD.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  07:18:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in Virginia, school buses are only permitted to go 45 on a road that is posted 55 or less. If the road is posted 60 or above, you may go only 55. Virginia does allow buses to be governed at 60, but most school districts opt to govern them at 55.

Many drivers in my district will go 55 on a posted 55 roadway, but they are warned that in the event of an accident, they will be held liable for not following the 45 speed limit set by state law.

Simply put, it comes down to a choice of personal liability.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000