students are on the bus. It is very hot
in my bus. I would like to leave the door
open for some much needed air. Could some-
one help me out?

Carpenter Bus_19
Advanced Member

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2001 :  6:42:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carpenter  Bus_19's Homepage  Send Carpenter  Bus_19 an AOL message  Send Carpenter  Bus_19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
if you have a jacknife door you can leave it open as long as there is no one inside. and the Warning lights are off Boy just think of the confusion if you left them babys on.

Go to Top of Page

tidesinn2

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2001 :  7:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you going to be driving w/ the door open or parked with the door open? Would you be on or off the bus if you were parked? Here we can't drive with it open. You would get in a lot of trouble. We are not suppose to leave the doors open in a school parking lot and be off the bus. Several drivers do that mine included. You just pull up park open the door get off and go talk to another driver or something. Some drivers are obessive and shut and lock them every time they get off the bus. Others just push them shut. Some drivers pump the brakes everytime they park in the school parking lot while waiting for kids. I couldn't be bothered.

Go to Top of Page

Leadfoot85

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2001 :  4:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are you going to be driving w/ the door open or parked with the door open? Would you be on or off the bus if you were parked? Here we can't drive with it open. You would get in a lot of trouble. We are not suppose to leave the doors open in a school parking lot and be off the bus. Several drivers do that mine included. You just pull up park open the door get off and go talk to another driver or something. Some drivers are obessive and shut and lock them every time they get off the bus. Others just push them shut. Some drivers pump the brakes everytime they park in the school parking lot while waiting for kids. I couldn't be bothered.

I was going to drive with the door
open after all my students are off. My door
opens inward and my warning lights would be
deactivated.

Leadfoot85

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2001 :  4:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A lot of states are outlawing it. You had better check first. The reason for this is, drivers would open the back windows on each side, and open the door then drive 60 miles an hour. Then all of the trash that was on the floor would come flying to the front of the bus, and go out the door.

I personally never did this- I had a fellow co-worker in the early 80's that did this, and as soon as she was near the school she would shut the door to avoid getting yelled at by the transportation supervisor. The inward opening Wayne doors were very heavy, so they stayed open easily when driving down the road.

A lot of buses are going to outward opening doors, and it just wouldn't work with those. Even the new Thomas buses with the inward opening doors wouldn't work well- the large section of glass sticks out part way, because the door can not fold in the middle because it has to accomodate the three step-step wall.

If it is legal in your state it won't hurt anything since you have an inward opening door, and as long as you are doing this for ventalation, and not to clean your bus floor.

"Thomas Built Buses-The best buses on the Road."
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2001 :  7:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just for the record...

I have actually seen some drivers who drive Chevy/Thomas buses with the outward opening doors, leave their doors open while they were driving on a hot day. Luckily, they didn't hit anything that I know of. The buses were empty when they did do this of course.

Bob
"B. Busguy33"
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2001 :  12:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in PA and I only see drivers with the inward doors and NO student on with the doors open. Our driver and others at my school leave it open while driving from the highschool to the middle school because it's not a main road (on school prop.)

Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2001 :  3:51:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do not let drivers drive w/doors open, period. The reason is that in accidents where the bus is hit ("T-boned") by vehicle striking the passenger entry door area, the driver tends to be thrown from the driver seat (even when belted in) into the stepwell. Imagine what would happen if the door were open.

Also, the practice of "air cleaning" the bus is very poor business practice not to mention poor public relations. Imagine the unprofessional appearance of a school bus doing 55 mph with the door open and trash blowing out the door.

Go to Top of Page

svhockeyjock

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2001 :  4:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Send svhockeyjock an AOL message  Reply with Quote
When i lived in Pittsburgh i always drove with my door open (with out kids i mean). After my last stop in the PM i usualy just shut off my master switch and left the stop with the door open. I used to drive to the next school and back to the garage that way and my boss had seen me do it tons of times and never said anything. So i am assuming that there was no problem. Here in Georgia i see bus drivers doing it all the time as well. But my bus here has the outward opening doors so i cant do it.

John Scott Boreland
Go to Top of Page

MrBusDriver

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2001 :  6:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit MrBusDriver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

When i lived in Pittsburgh i always drove with my door open (with out kids i mean). After my last stop in the PM i usualy just shut off my master switch and left the stop with the door open. I used to drive to the next school and back to the garage that way and my boss had seen me do it tons of times and never said anything. So i am assuming that there was no problem. Here in Georgia i see bus drivers doing it all the time as well. But my bus here has the outward opening doors so i cant do it.

John Scott Boreland

You bunch of spoiled rotten kids

If I were to drive out of the yard with my door open and a State Trooper were to see me I would have my rear in a sling!

I know it's illegal in Ohio to move your bus with the door open while loaded, and I was TOLD although I don't have adequate documentation to support it, it's illegal unloaded as well.

Personally, I would enjoy the natural vacuum effect after a long day... I just HATE sweeping!

-- Mr Bus Driver
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2001 :  05:37:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
B.Busguy33

I don't think it is a good idea for drivers with outward opening doors to drive with them open- when the door is locked in the open position the wind resistance while driving would put a lot of stress on the door.

MrBusDriver: I am glad it is illegal for you to drive with the door open- "naturally" sweeping your bus makes the driver look bad- I mean what would people think of you if they saw you driving down the road, and junk was flying out the door.

Edited by - thomas86_a on 05/09/2001 1:01:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2001 :  09:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi thomas86_a,

I was sorry to hear about your old bus 86-A getting retired. You must be really disappointed.

Anyways, I noticed that a few drivers were leaving their outward opening doors open back in 1993. I have not seen them leave their outward opening doors open on hot days since then. I think they finally learned that it wouldn't be a good idea. Not only would their be stress on the door, but the door could've hit something or someone on the side of the road while they were driving. That wouldn't have been too good if that happened. Personally, I think that its safer and better to leave them shut at all times. You never know what might happen out there.

Bob
"B. Busguy33"
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2001 :  11:35:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
BBusguy33
Dissapointed yes, but I will survive- of course my most favorite bus- a Thomas International Conventional with a gas engine and manual transmission but I can no longer drive it. At least my current bus is a Thomas.

Now days newer buses have the roof hatches that can be used for venalation, so that should help if your bus gets really hot. If you have to hatches on your bus then you can really get the air moving in the bus, and should not need to drive with the door open. There are two accessory fans located on the bus, and those can be moved towards the driver. On my bus the fan on the drivers side is located right on top of the control panel, so I move it to face at me, and I turn that on if I get to hot.

Go to Top of Page

Joshua

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2001 :  8:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in Michigan we are told to not do this. They very simply expalin that there is too much liability involved, with or with out students. Your moving a very heavey vehicle with it not secure. I think the hot weather is just part of the job. The best way to vent the bus on a hot day is to use the roof hatches(2 if available). Very simply take the front hatch and open it one side only up and out towards the driver. Then take the second hatch and aim it the oposite way(half open). This will keep the flow going great. Do what is safe for the kids as well as yourself.

Take care of each other.
Joshua

Go to Top of Page

tidesinn2

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2001 :  7:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have a manual outward door I don't see a problem with having it open as long as the road is not real narrow. My driver has air and it opens outward and we drive around parking lots with it open but never on the road. If a supervisor saw that she would be written up or fired REALLY fast. We just had a driver get fired because thi

Go to Top of Page

tidesinn2

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2001 :  7:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have a manual outward door I don't see a problem with having it open as long as the road is not real narrow. My driver has air and it opens outward and we drive around parking lots with it open but never on the road. If a supervisor saw that she would be written up or fired REALLY fast. We just had a driver get fired because thi

Go to Top of Page

tidesinn2

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2001 :  7:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I hit post! Becasue they struck a pedestrain though it was more like the pedestrain ran into the bus but the county doesn't see it that way.

Go to Top of Page

WayneLifguard44

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2001 :  4:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not know if leaving the door is illegal in DE. But just a week ago I know that a driver who drives a carpenter went by with a outward opening door halfway open with not kids on. Others used to open there doors when we were gone and drive. Not many do anymore. I remeber my 1st grade bus was a Thomas International with and outward opening door and they would drive with it open and they had to come down a highway to get to school! You don't want to open the door if you got trash that might blow out!

Wayne Lifeguard44 -Tyler
Go to Top of Page

International110

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2001 :  10:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my district it's a big "no-no" to drive with your door open when kids are on. As soon as they are off, however, some of us leave the door open with the lights deactivated. I've seen many others do it, those with the folding-inward doors and outward-opening air doors...so...hope this helps. :)

WJG
Go to Top of Page

BusBoss

105 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2001 :  10:13:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Operating a school bus with the door opened loaded or unloaded increases safety risk factors and I am not supportive of such practices.

Go to Top of Page

kiddykart

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2001 :  6:12:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I would like to say that I happened to be out in another county at a doctor's appointment and to my suprise I saw a busdriver w/the door open and a pipe, yes a pipe in his mouth..pretty shocking to say the least..

Go to Top of Page

Tropic Busing

24 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2001 :  7:09:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand a desire to leave the door open due to the heat. I have to deal with temperatures (90-95 degrees, relative humidity of 80 plus) on a year round basis that most folks only see for a few months of the year. Only part of the fleet is air conditioned, so for the most part the drivers have to deal with little relief on the afternoon routes. All the buses have outward opening doors. In a previous position I had a driver with with an outward door who left it open and struck a curb. Needless to say the bus was out of service to replace the door. The drivers that work for me have been told under no uncertain terms the doors will be closed any time the bus is being moved, regardless if there are students on the bus. Besides the damage that could be caused is it also keeps them in the habit. Bus is moving, door is closed. I have seen local para transit buses being operated with the doors open, WHILE there are passengers onboard. A few months ago, a passenger who was a mildly retarded adult left her seat, walked to the front of the bus and stepped off while it was traveling about 35 mph. She stepped off in front of a pickup truck and was killed instantly. Had he been in the habit of operating of the bus with the door closed the death of a passenger would hve never occured. If you want my vote, always operate your bus with the door closed.

Go to Top of Page

Evelyn

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2001 :  7:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drivers can not drive with their doors open when all students have departed from the bus. This is against the law.

I know some driver's that did it years ago before it became a law and ended up all dirty from the grit and dirt that flies up front.

For the Children in NY
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
Advanced Member

USA
352 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2001 :  09:13:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message  Send Ricky a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In my district we have been told repeatedly not to drive with the door open, even if there are no kids on board. I live in Arkansas and on many occasions while driving down the interstate I've seen countless numbers of buses coming from the AmTran plant headed out of state to unknown destinations with the outward opening door open. These drivers are driving down the interstate through all of the construction with the doors open. I'm really surprised that the doors haven't been torn off.

Stephen R. Adamson (AmTran11)
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2001 :  7:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Ricky,
I know alot of driveaway services use some dum driver's to bring buses to other states!! You would think that if your door is outward opening that you know not to leave it open!!

Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2001 :  05:04:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's just stupid if you drive down the road with the outward swinging doors! But I guess there are people out there with no brains!

"Blue Birds For Ever!"
Go to Top of Page

Stevebus42
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2001 :  12:30:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I don't know about what the law says in the various states but it is not a good idea to do. One can always turn the little fans around during hot weather. The ones that keep our winshield from fogging up in wet weather.
It get very hot on the buses in Oklahoma but I know that it is just a short time till I get in my "Cowboy Lincoln"- Ford F150 with air conditioning so I just don't think about the heat

Go to Top of Page

ernestb

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2001 :  9:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's just stupid if you drive down the road with the outward swinging doors! But I guess there are people out there with no brains!

Agree. what if you driving down the road withe doors open and you have the kind that open outward and they hit something better yet knock down a person. ITS not worth it.,
do you drive your car with the door open??!?!?

"Blue Birds For Ever!"

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2001 :  08:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen bus drivers here ride with there door open. I saw this one bus they had the outer opening doors open but not all the way like half closed and half opened like bent inwards. Then just a few days ago I saw a DART bus that transport ederly people to doctor appts and other things come by and it had the door open half way bent inwards not fully open. Those buses have air condition I don't know why his was open.

Tyler-Formly known as Wayne Lifeguard.
Go to Top of Page

RD9000

72 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  3:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to drive with my door open without students in my first route bus- a '94 Blue Bird/International with a jack-knife door. I also had roof vents and driver window open and fans blowing! You need all the help you can with Oklahoma heat in May and August!
Go to Top of Page

Bluemoon

2 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  12:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bluemoon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here we have to sign a contract that states we will not move the bus with the door open. I personally wouldn't want to anyway, especially since I have an outward opening door.
As for sweeping, if you open your roof hatches in the front only, it will allow air to enter in a way that will force the heavy debris (paper, etc.) to move forward to the front of the bus where it can be quickly and easily swept up (if you drive fast enough at some point). Dirt can just be swept right on out the door once the trash is removed....unless you park in a garage, lol.
Go to Top of Page

esgameofsk8

6 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2012 :  6:21:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit esgameofsk8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carpenter Bus_19

if you have a jacknife door you can leave it open as long as there is no one inside. and the Warning lights are off Boy just think of the confusion if you left them babys on.

Yeah and if the reds are on, don't stab anyone with that cross-arm sticking out. You could have a lethal weapon on ur hands, LOL!! Incidentally, some of the older IC's from 05-06 would sometimes have problems with cross-arms stuck open, even without the reds on , where they didn't retract, or sometimes wouldn't open upon activation of reds.(off-topic)
Actually, a few years back I had a bus (with automatic outward opening doors) on a Saturday (no dispatch assistance available) doing a special trip. Halfway thru, the mechanism above the door lets go and my doors fly open. So I had to take a belt/ bungee strap and attach it to the door and hold the door closed while driving, to avoid having doors open while driving, and potentially drawing UNWANTED attention. That was CRAZY!!!!!

Edited by - esgameofsk8 on 10/20/2012 6:30:16 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000