1994 Chevrolet B7 Power Steering
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  2:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a fleet of 8 93-97 Chevrolet B7's with 366 engines. Almost every unit is having a problem with the power steering.

Gradually the steering will get tight, then it will lose power steering completely when sitting still, almost makes it impossible to get out of tight spots. When you increase the throttle, it gets easy to steer again.

I have replaced pumps, hoses, sensors; I have flushed systems, added lucas power steering additives (had to try).

Any ideas?

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  08:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check the steering shaft u-joints for binding. Also maybe drop the tie rods and check your spindle drag.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2012 :  09:24:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf0r

Check the steering shaft u-joints for binding. Also maybe drop the tie rods and check your spindle drag.

I agree, I have had trouble with this as well. They are easy to get off to check too. Get ready to empty your wallet though. Only place I can find these is at Chevy and they are pretty pricey. I can put a u-joint in but it is not factory and I will not do that with a school bus.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  6:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I have checked all of my steering shafts and everything else, and all looks ok to me. If I raise the rpm's to around 1500-2000 the steering will loosen up. Just idling it's hard as a rock. I'm at a total loss here....new pumps, new hoses.....

I was formally Baptistbusman. However, I lost my password, and had not updated my email address.

Here is a link to my old posts. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=1846
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  7:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about the steering gear? Napa can get rebuilts for these.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  06:05:31 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Get a pressure and flow gauge and test. This can tell you a lot more. If the king pins are binding this may also cause the problems mentioned. These U joints were commonly manufactured by Spicer. I have installed many on steering shafts over the years. When done correctly, you won't have any problems.

The steering gear may be where the problem lies. The pressure and flow gauge will tell you if it is binding one direction more than the other. Do these units have any type of hydro boost, or do they have the Vac booster on them for braking?

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2013 :  09:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BJ Henderson

Get a pressure and flow gauge and test. This can tell you a lot more. If the king pins are binding this may also cause the problems mentioned. These U joints were commonly manufactured by Spicer. I have installed many on steering shafts over the years. When done correctly, you won't have any problems.

The steering gear may be where the problem lies. The pressure and flow gauge will tell you if it is binding one direction more than the other. Do these units have any type of hydro boost, or do they have the Vac booster on them for braking?

Those power steering analyzer kits were over $800 from Kent Moore. I just saw one on Ebay like ours for $187 Might be worth getting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENT-MOORE-TOOL-J-44721-POWER-STEERING-ANALYZER-KIT-/271199654805?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3f24c25395&vxp=mtr

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2013 :  11:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We have a local shop that lets us use theirs on occasion when we have a problem. Even if you have to rent it or do a favor, hey, it works for us. We cannot possibly have all the tools and diagnostic equipment in fleets that have support vehicles and different buses.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  12:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure your parts guys give you the right pump.I went through a day of absolute hell when I installed the wrong GPM pump on a RV. The same mistake can be made by the aftermarket rebuilders. And yes borrow that pressure gauge.
quote:
Originally posted by BJ Henderson

We have a local shop that lets us use theirs on occasion when we have a problem. Even if you have to rent it or do a favor, hey, it works for us. We cannot possibly have all the tools and diagnostic equipment in fleets that have support vehicles and different buses.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000