Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 IC dashes failing regularily
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  11:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is anyone else having problems with 2010 IC dashes failing. During cold weather it can take up to 20 minutes for the dash to come to life.
We have had 4 dashes that the audio warning alarms for the brake system and "Child Check" system fail.

I changed one dash in February, and we have just changed another two days ago. The price of the dash has gone up over $300. These buses could get a little expensive to maintain.

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  12:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The plastic on our IC buses dash are breaking, we only drive on paved highways, I can not imagine what they look like after driving on country roads they must be falling all to pieces.
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  5:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sory I should reword that. Yes, our dashes are cracking too. I was referring to the gauge unit failing. The last one we blught was over $900.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  6:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Haven't had any 2010 or newer fail yet, but the 08,s we had our share of issues. The dashes(electronic gage clusters) since 2005 in the IC have been pushing that 900 mark at roughly 300 each for 3 sections of circuit board.

Edited by - slippert on 05/16/2012 6:16:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

wjbusguy

United States
42 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  06:16:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit wjbusguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I havent had any problems with the newer dashes yet but in the 6 years I have been here I have had to replace all the dashes on our buses from 2000 to 2003, one is on its second replacement dash. The symptoms for them is they just lock up for awhile, then they start working again. The speedo is stuck on o say 45 mph, tach is on 1900 rpm, oil pressure stuck on 50 lbs, the odometer quits advancing. Then all of a sudden everything pops back to where they should be and works for awhile again. We have a 2007 IC rear engine bus thats starting to do the same thing, it has an older style dash in it similar to the earlier buses.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  09:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently IC has never made a good instrument cluster. We have always had problems with the instrument clusters. constantly replacing the center boards on older versions. Then you have the 07 and up instrument panels, Every time one goes out you have to take it to the dealer to flash the mileage to the new board. As for the audio alarms for your brake system and "child check", this has been a long standing problem also. All you have to do is disconnect the batteries and the alarm will work again. Give it try. it will work.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  10:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most all failures of the older boards are easily repaired by resoldering the electrical connectors pin joints . When you get the board out just look at it and you will notice small cracks where the pin comes through the board. Vibration and wires hanging off the board cause it. Ive repaired dozens with just a few that it didnt fix. There are also a few companies who specialize in IH clusters for repair. They do the same thing. No need to buy new clusters.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2012 :  11:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I second what mastertech said on the older dashes. pins always cracked solder on the center boards, have repaired them here. Seems like the 05 to 07 dashes were decent but have had a few issues with them, mainly a single random gauge issue or beepers. The 08 buses we had a lot of problems with them right from new. So far the 2010's and newer have been trouble free, now that I said that we'll see what next week brings.
Go to Top of Page

wjbusguy

United States
42 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2012 :  06:00:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit wjbusguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do either of you guys have any pics of exactly where to look for cracks? Is is pin, or pins? What are the names of companys that repair the clusters?

Thanks,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Troy87

United States
52 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  1:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One company that repairs IC clusters is D & D Instruments out of Minneapolis http://www.ddinstruments.com/. Dealt with them a couple times, They do good work, and cheaper than new. Problem is down time..1-2 wks depending on where u are.
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2012 :  10:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sambrutay

Apparently IC has never made a good instrument cluster. We have always had problems with the instrument clusters. constantly replacing the center boards on older versions. Then you have the 07 and up instrument panels, Every time one goes out you have to take it to the dealer to flash the mileage to the new board. As for the audio alarms for your brake system and "child check", this has been a long standing problem also. All you have to do is disconnect the batteries and the alarm will work again. Give it try. it will work.

Worked for me!!

Now lets figure out what is causing this! I wonder if just unplugging the beeper assy will have the same results? I have about wore the dash screws out replacing the silly beeper assy. Those things aint cheap either.

Now my replacement cluster assy has a oil pressure gauge that has lost a stepper signal or something cause it sweeps backwards.

Ugh and double ugh!!!
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2012 :  6:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I like this forum. I have a 2010 IC CE I am having problems with the speedometer it moves while sitting still it doesnt always hold the right speed. the oil gauge now just wants to stay around 40 to 50 psi while driving it doesnt seem to be running any different .

keep those buses rolling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/schoolbushistory
Go to Top of Page

dekalbfleet

22 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  03:56:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit dekalbfleet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got an 06 IC CE the turn signal indicator for the right side is out, pulled cluster found the blub solderd into the circuit board. Who puts in permante blubs? WTF?
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  07:26:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dekalbfleet

I got an 06 IC CE the turn signal indicator for the right side is out, pulled cluster found the blub solderd into the circuit board. Who puts in permante blubs? WTF?

according to FSB they are replaceable, you cut legs on the original LED and replace with a twist in LED; 3578733C1, see below;

SFN Number: 07-78

SFN Date: October 19, 2007

Subject File: ELECTRICAL

"This SFN applies to models built prior to 2007 emissions.

With the exception of the backlight illumination for the speedometer and tachometer faces, all indicator lights on HPV instrument cluster printed circuit boards are permanently soldered LED bulbs. This procedure provides guidelines to remove burned out LED turn signal indicator bulbs so that replacement LED's with twist lock bases can be installed into the mounting hole. While the mounting bases of the incandescent bulbs are similar and can be locked into place, they will not illuminate because of their higher current requirements. ONLY LED REPLACEMENT BULBS WILL WORK WHEN REPLACING A FAILED LED."

Better see if your dealer can provide copy of this bulletin as the procedure needs to be done properly to insure satisfactory results.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

dekalbfleet

22 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2012 :  06:12:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit dekalbfleet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great thanks for the info
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  06:36:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CISDbusman

quote:
Originally posted by sambrutay

As for the audio alarms for your brake system and "child check", this has been a long standing problem also. All you have to do is disconnect the batteries and the alarm will work again. Give it try. it will work.

Worked for me!!

Now lets figure out what is causing this! I wonder if just unplugging the beeper assy will have the same results? I have about wore the dash screws out replacing the silly beeper assy. Those things aint cheap either.

Now my replacement cluster assy has a oil pressure gauge that has lost a stepper signal or something cause it sweeps backwards.

Ugh and double ugh!!!

Yes, You can just unplug the beeper and plug it back in but why on earth would you go thru the trouble, You must pull out the cluster, which is what we were doing before we found the battery disconnect. If you do it at the batteries you may as well service them while your there. 2 birds, 1 stone.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000