New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2012 :  4:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking at mobile lifts to add to the old ingrounds in our shop. What's your experience with them, good or bad? Anyone have battery powered or wireless units? Seems that several manufacturers have gov't pricing under WSCA, but SEFAC has the best pricing without a contract. Also, they have a new 12K column that is even lower priced. Thanks for your input in advance!

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  05:00:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We purchased a set of lifts from Gray model WPLS160F they lift 16,000# each are battery operated and wireless. They can be programed to operate in pairs or as a set of four or six, operation can be done from any of the lifts in a set. We also got the stands that match the lifts that can hold the same weight in the air so you can use them on another bus. We have used the lift system about a year and the battery life between charges is great, usually just plug in on the weekends. We got them on sale for around $40,000, including the stands.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2012 :  1:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that info. I'd heard that you have to change out the battery sets every year to the tune of $3K, but come to think of it that was a guy trying to sell AC powered lifts!

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  05:49:35 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Our units have one agm group 31 battery in each lift. Our local battery supplier sells them for $265.00 each $1060.00 a set. Our lifts are more than one year old and show no signs of problems.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  1:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darn I wish I had a set of those. Can you pick by the frame for brake jobs?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  2:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a set of 60K Rotary Electric/hydraulic lifts that we purchased in 1999 and have operated flawlessly since day 1. They operate on 240 3 phase power. I never considered the cords any hassle and they are 13 years old now. I purchased 4 jackstands with them, same capacity and two 30K rails for frame engaging if necessary. These rails are very handy for lifting plow trucks with wings attached, streetsweepers and lifting bus bodies from the frame rails to replace pads. The wheel engagers are adjustable and will lift anything from a golf cart to our biggest fully loaded fire truck. Other than greasing the rollers and changing the oil once, maintenance costs have been zero including inspections, which I am qualified to do.

These lifts are way better than my old 28K two post inground, 1960 vintage.

Click on my name to see a pic of them in my profile.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 05/03/2012 5:21:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

dwight

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  02:13:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1948--1970 Weaver Twin Post 100" to 254" WB (over 254" lift front w/air jack)
1971--2012 Weaver Twin Post 100" to 280" WB (still #1 choice)
2005--2012 Bend Pak 9K Drive-on & Drive-under (at my home)

20 SCHOOL BUS FLEET OWNER/OPERATOR (Retired)
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  1:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My boss is in love with a set of these we had demo'ed last week: http://www.ari-hetra.com/product/82.cfm

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  09:56:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by partsman_ba

My boss is in love with a set of these we had demo'ed last week: http://www.ari-hetra.com/product/82.cfm

Nice! How much for 4?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  5:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting battery/charging system setup but you still have the cords to deal with. I suppose it's greener by using the vehicle's weight to help recharge the batteries, but I bet maintenance costs are higher than most.
I think they're the right way to go from an eco point of view but you have to consider the battery disposal vs. 'clean'(??) electricity angle.
I dunno.

Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  09:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
^ Does that argument sound familiar? Hybrid vehicles... better off getting a Prius or a diesel Jetta or Passat? Nobody seems to know for sure....
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  2:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf0r

quote:
Originally posted by partsman_ba

Nice! How much for 4?

For the demo set, $37,750. I'm sure the regular price is in the mid 40's, as the 220V set is $42,269 on the WSCA contract I've got here.

Edited by - partsman_ba on 05/14/2012 2:50:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  2:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBTMech

Interesting battery/charging system setup but you still have the cords to deal with. I suppose it's greener by using the vehicle's weight to help recharge the batteries, but I bet maintenance costs are higher than most.
I think they're the right way to go from an eco point of view but you have to consider the battery disposal vs. 'clean'(??) electricity angle.
I dunno.

I've heard (from salesmen, natch) that there are some "issues" with wireless lifts losing communications, which causes them to not move...

Go to Top of Page

blk822

13 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  09:10:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit blk822's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have Mohawk lifts that are battery powered (2 group 31s on each) and have thee cords. They work great. They lift 18000 lbs each and can be used in a bunch of different applications. Only problem we had with them is the potetiometers on the lifts getting stuck and had to replace under warrantee.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  09:52:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Thomas EF

^ Does that argument sound familiar? Hybrid vehicles... better off getting a Prius or a diesel Jetta or Passat? Nobody seems to know for sure....

I'm glad someone else thinks like I do. I understand that the technology has to be put into the public's hands to try to get it proliferated. But I don't understand what makes them think the public will be willing to pay a higher price and then a few years later have a piece of equipment that is junk (or needs expensive batteries) and then have to buy a conventional piece anyway. It appears that the only goal is to "look" green when there are a few old ways of doing things that "are" green. An example here, that is out of our field, are the old reusable cola bottles. My opinion is that if you don't want to use the old way of doing things that are green then don't talk to me about a new way of doing things that you "think" is green.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2012 :  4:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do any of you guys with mobile columns have the light truck adapters that allow you to lift a 15K or less vehicle with two colums in front and back? The salesmen for ARI-HETRA and Rotary have them, but Stertil-KONI says theirs really only work for Humvees (which is what they were originally designed for, mobile lifting in combat platoons.)

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  06:24:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the plug in lifts 115v or 220v? I priced a 2 post low ceiling lift for home and it's only available in 220v. I would have to upgrade my garage. The cord is probably huge like a RV extension cord.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  12:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The battery powered ones are 110V (since they just have small battery chargers,) but the plug in ones are all 220V single phase or 208V-575V three phase depending on the way you order them. Cord size to match.

Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  12:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to have a demo of these Stertil-Koni lifts tomorrow morning. Looks like they have all the bells as well as whistles: http://www.stertil-koni.com/en/products/wireless_mobile_column_lifts/earthlift_wireless_mobile_column_lift/earthlift_mobile_column_lift/

Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2012 :  3:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My 13 year old Rotarys operate on 240 3 phase and have adjustable shoes that will lift anything from a golf cart to our biggest fire truck.

We also have beams that will lift by the frame for trucks with plow wings and tricycle streetsweepers. We can lift almost anything up to 60,000 lbs.

Edited by - IBTMech on 06/05/2012 3:54:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2012 :  09:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Stertil-Koni rep asked me if we would like to do an extended demo... SURE! So I have a set of the Earthlift units (see link above) in the shop to try out.

Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  10:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Initial impression of the Earthlifts - awesome. You just roll them up to the wheels, set them down, touch each one with an RFID wand to pair them up, double-touch the last one of the set, then start lifting. Haven't done too many lift cycles, but even so, the batteries are still showing a full charge.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000