Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Help - Int 3800 series diesel not cranking
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brentb

7 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  12:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit brentb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi - I need help here. i have a 1998 thomas bus wih an international 3800 series chassis. the bus was idling and then just stopped dead. now when i go to start it - when i turn on the ignition, the instrument lights go on except for the WAIT TO START - that doesn't go on and the motor will not crank over - i've checked the normal fuses - but cannot fiture it out - is there another safety override or something i am missing? thanks in advance for you help!

THanks

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  12:42:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
check the silly stuff:
Is the truck in gear?
Battery voltage? fuses by the battery?
Is batter voltage making it to the starter?
Check the non-normal fuses?
Can you get the engine to crank over by bypassing the ignition switch (by hooking up a remote starter switch)?

Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  1:46:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brentb

Hi - I need help here. i have a 1998 thomas bus wih an international 3800 series chassis. the bus was idling and then just stopped dead. now when i go to start it - when i turn on the ignition, the instrument lights go on except for the WAIT TO START - that doesn't go on and the motor will not crank over - i've checked the normal fuses - but cannot fiture it out - is there another safety override or something i am missing? thanks in advance for you help!

THanks

Sounds like classic issue of supply voltage to ECM. Check the notorious connections in the wiring near bell housing behind the oil filter. Glow plugs and crank inhibit relay are controlled through ECM.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 10/31/2011 1:49:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

brentb

7 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  2:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit brentb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Folks -thanks for the pointers - i'll check it out in the next couple days - are there any fuses that are not in the normal fuse bank (in the cab) that i need to be checking - this is not familiar ground to me - so any basic instructions are greatly appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  2:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Folks -thanks for the pointers - i'll check it out in the next couple days - are there any fuses that are not in the normal fuse bank (in the cab) that i need to be checking - this is not familiar ground to me - so any basic instructions are greatly appreciated!

Yes, look for fuseholders in battery box and check those. The ones in the battery box are for the circuits that have the trouble prone connectors under the bellhousing.

Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  2:49:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, so many times!

Had one during our late October whiteout here in Maine over the weekend.

A '99 2554 ten wheeler with a 530E plowing snow just "DIED" in the middle of the road at 4AM.

The driver called me, I was there in 5 minutes and wiggled the 40 amp fuse in the battery box and off he goes.

Wonderful setup!

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 10/31/2011 2:50:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

brentb

7 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  06:14:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit brentb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have tried all the above - i can short the starter and get it to crank, but still cannot get the motor to crank using the key, i have power to main feed of starter, fuses all check out - could it be the ecm itself? how can i check this. guages sweep properly upon turning on. but no gloplug lights and starter will not crank engine - help please
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  06:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your ECM is not being energized. Is yours mounted on the engine or is it the earlier system with relays attached to bracket mounted on the firewall?

Go to Top of Page

brentb

7 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2013 :  1:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit brentb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it is mounted on the engine - is there a fuse i can check there? thansk!
Go to Top of Page

brentb

7 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  8:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit brentb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi folks. Does anyone have any other suggestions or advice on this? It's,getting a little frustrating for this farm boy.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  04:11:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We have had two units that the power to ecm pin on the ecm corroded off, this pin is in the bottom row in the lower conector. Remove the black wire asembly from the ecm and chec for a missing or green pin. The power wires are in this connector #'s 42,23,1,2 are grounds and #'s 41,22,21, are battery 25 is gnd feed to the power relay on cowl and#24 is V ign.Fuse f11 feeds # 85@relay and fuse f5 feeds #24 grnd from #25 works relay with f11 to make all of the batt wires hot. There should be three relays on the cowl under the cowl vent bump ecm power engine crank inhibit and start relay.
Go to Top of Page

LPSMECH

90 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  3:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read through this a couple of times. I don't see what engine....it may not matter. We had some DT466E's that had a plug corrode. Follow the red and white heavy gauge wires from the battery box along the frame toward the starter. They may be in a plastic loom. Find the plug and check. If broken, solder the wires and eliminate the plug.
Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2013 :  9:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it have a World transmission? If so, it can inhibit engine cranking.
Go to Top of Page

LPSMECH

90 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2013 :  12:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brent B., is it fixed? What was it?
Go to Top of Page

brentb

7 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2013 :  09:51:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit brentb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LPSMECH - thanks for the note - not yet - driving me a little nuts by now - Have a fellow with more knowldge than me coming over in the next week or so to see if we can sort this out. i'll keep you folks in the loop. Thanks for all the help and suggestions thus far.

Brent
Go to Top of Page

LPSMECH

90 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2013 :  4:45:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have a sister bus with the same engine? What engine and transmission is in it? Let me ask this, what have you done?
You state you can jump the starter and get it to crank......with the key "on" (in neutral!, park brake on, and wheels chocked) jump it again, does the engine run?
Go to Top of Page

brentb

7 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  10:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit brentb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FINALLY - it is going - turns out it was the solenoid mounted on the block - replaced it - but nothing - then had to work hard to get it grounded - now starte like it should. Thanks everyone from the input. Much appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  2:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was this a vandal lock solenoid/relay?
quote:

FINALLY - it is going - turns out it was the solenoid mounted on the block - replaced it - but nothing - then had to work hard to get it grounded - now starte like it should. Thanks everyone from the input. Much appreciated!

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000