New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2011 :  11:46:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a random tapping that sounds like it maybe inside the front cover or injector pump. Is this a dowel pin engine? Is this year prone to dropping the pin into the gears? Tapping does increase with high idle. Early 2000 24v ISB in a tc2000. Also when running the engine does not miss a beat. No DTC.

Edited by - Wolf0r on 07/14/2011 11:47:15 AM

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  7:37:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't know about the KDP, but it has been a known issue with the 12 valve with both the VE and P-pumps, and has also been known to happen with the 24 valve.
From what I've been told, the p-pumps that do heavy towing are the ones most likely to experience it.

On YouTube, a guy with the username purpleflavoredcherry shows how he fixed his 24 valve (in a dodge truck) after he experienced the KDP, proving that it was still an issue (although rare) with the 24 valves.

Could also be the bolts for the gearcase coming loose too.

We can't all be conventional!
http://www.youtube.com/user/matts4290
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  06:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try and get a video and some sound later.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  11:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have had some of our electric fan clutches create the a similar noise. No failures just random tapping.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000