A few questions about a B700 Ford/Thomas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fathertime1968

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  6:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Aunt's daycare recently got a 1993 B700 Ford with a Thomas body. It has a 6-speed manual transmission, an inline 6 turbo diesel, and has hydraulic brakes. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what engine/transmission this might be? I'm not sure if there is an owner's manual with the bus or not, I didn't see one when I looked. The parking brake is kind of like an on/off light switch, up to apply, down to release.

Anyone know how that works, it sounds like it may be operated by a pump or a motor? Is it normal for a buzzer to go off when it is first applied (turned on) and then shut off once the parking brake is fully applied? Does it lock the drive shaft or the rear brakes? Is this a parking brake that needs adjustement often? Just trying to get some more information for her. Thanks for any help.

Edited by - Fathertime1968 on 02/10/2011 6:53:57 PM

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  7:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The engine is either a Cummins 5.9L or it could even be a 6.6L, but it's probably a Cummins 5.9L.

As for the brakes, they're Lucas-Gerling brakes.

Edited by - Tatum on 02/10/2011 7:09:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  11:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fathertime, Get you a set of Ford factory manuals on Ebay best investment you can do for that bus. Also snap-on sells a tool with the right bends for the shoe adjustments. Those Cummins were good engines IMO. Lucas Gerling brakes are a pain without the proper tools and service info if you have never worked on one.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  11:36:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Were Cummminses the only diesels available on the 1993 Ford chassis, or were Cat/Detroit involved as well? I also faintly remember reading about Ford making their own diesel as well, but I'm not sure about that.
Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  1:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^There could be some 6.6Ls in 1993 Ford buses, but the chassis could have been made in 1992. Their own diesel engines for buses, at least not for the B700/B800 models.

Ford did have their own engines in the Ford school bus chassis, but they were all gasoline. They were the 370 and 429 gasoline engines. However, though offered by Ford, the gas engines were discontinued in school bus chassis by the in the 1990 (if not before).

At one time, if wanted a bus with a Ford chassis, you could get a New Holland 6.6L and 7.8L, a Detroit 8.2L, a Cummins 5.9L, Ford's 370 and 428 gas engines, and even a Cat 3208. Those were the glorious days of school buses, I'd say!

Edited by - Tatum on 02/11/2011 1:54:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  1:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have a '93 Ford Thomas that has a 6.6 Ford Brazilian engine... (or at least that's what the parts house told me)

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  1:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Injection pump on drivers side, its a Cummins built engine.
Injection pump on entrance door side its a 6.6 or 7.8 liter Ford/New Holland diesel built in Brazil.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  3:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That 6.6 is a Ford (New Holland) and it has a continuous valve cover on the top. The 5.9 Cummins (Ford called et a Ford 1060, I think that's the number)has six individual valve covers.

As for the brakes I hated them. The reason was cost only. The operation, when not malfunctioning, was pretty slick. It actually locks the rear brakes like air brakes do. As for adjustment, if you hear more than two dings when you apply them you need to adjust the rear brake shoes. Do what Wolf said and save yourself time and agrivation and buy a Snap-On tool (Blue Point part number- YA9070). Adjust by jacking up the rear of the bus with the brake not applied. Take out the dust plug and put yout tool in there and get on the star wheel. It's been a long time but I think if you have the right end of the tool in there you will push down on it to run the shoe out. You will need to roll the wheels with your hand and stop when it is hard to turn then back them off just a shade. Do the other shoe the same way. This will improve your stopping distance as well and we all know that is important! There is a seperate pump for the brake system and the power steering (Chevy had the same pump for both). The brake system pump operates the power assist (booster) and the park brake system. Use only Dextron/ Mercon trans. fluid in there!

Good luck, Hope this helps.

Below is my edit:
By the way, that Brizilian engine is a great engine! Cummins is too but I really like the way that old Ford 6.6 sounds. Never had any trouble with the one I had. I think we traded it with about 150,000 on it. But I suspect you have a Cummins 5.9

Bryan

Edited by - bwest on 02/11/2011 3:34:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fathertime1968

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  9:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys! This information you gave me will go a long way! As for the engine, it was blue, it also has Ford on the valve cover if that helps any. Thanks again!

Edited by - Fathertime1968 on 02/11/2011 10:50:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  05:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ford was stamped in there? If so I would say it is a Brizilian. (nothing related to a woman! LOL)

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fathertime1968

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  1:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like it might be a sticker that has Ford on it on the valve cover, I will have to look next time I drive the bus. It does have one continuous valve cover from what I was able to see. I will find out tomorrow as to wheather or not they have an owner's manual for the bus.

As far as the parking brake...One continuous buzz from when the switch is turned up to apply the parking brake, until it is all the way applied is normal then? Just making sure, I don't want to have something go worng (when I have a bus full of daycare children) that could have been prevented.

And last, but not least...Anyone know what kind of transmission this bus might have? Thanks again for all of your help, it is nice to be able to talk with people that have alot knowlege and experience with buses!!

Edited by - Fathertime1968 on 02/13/2011 2:01:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2011 :  7:19:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot the older units had that continuous buzzing. They replaced that with a ding a couple of years later. It shouldn't buzz for over 2-3 seconds.

I can't help your with the brand of transmission. I didn't have any manual transmissions left after 1990 year model.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fathertime1968

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  1:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay...Sorry for the delay...I have been very busy...The engine is a New Holland diesel. (The injection pump is on the entrance door side & it has the continuous valve cover.) Now for the transmission...When I first started driving the bus, I had a very hard time getting the bus in gear to say the least.

It was taken into the mechanic and he adjusted the clutch some and said that's as good as it will get and that the older buses were hard to shift. Since we got it back, it shifts a little bit easier, but not much. I can't downshift most times and it takes everything I got to get this bus into first gear from a stop most times, as well as up and downshifting. Most times when taking off, I lose the momentum from first gear to second trying to get the bus into second, and end up having to ride the clutch slightly to go on after I finally get it into second.

The same thing happens going from second to third gear more times than not too. I have tried double clutching and reving the engine slightly with the clutch pushed in between shifts and nothing seems to help. Does this bus need a new clutch???? They said that they replaced it a little over a year ago if I remember right, but I don't know who all drove it before me and how they drove it.

The clutch is most of the way out when it grabs good. I don't remember any of our school district buses shifting like that when I rode to school, they shifted easily and smooth, and those were all very early 1980's to very early 1990's buses. Any ideas as to what else could be causing this to happen besides a possible bad clutch??? I don't want to start any hard feelings with their mechanic, but I need to be able to get my bus into gear, as well as downshift on those hills I have to travel with my bus. Any opinoins as to what I should do??? OR is this normal for a 1993 6-speed transmission??? Please help??
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  7:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds like either your clutch brake isn't adjusted correctly or the input shaft on trans is worn to the point where the clutch disc isn't sliding properly. I'd say you need a second opinion from a different shop, if they are telling you older buses(trucks, whatever) were hard to shift, either they don't want to work on it or there just trying to get more money out of you

Worst case you need a new clutch and related parts, but if your mechanic (shop) won't tell you that straight up I'd say it's time to find a new one. find someone to give you a honest opinion if they tell you it needs a clutch it probably does

As far as clutch adjustment normally you have to adjust clutch brake with the linkage first,. before you adjust free travel.

if clutch is adjusted properly and vehicle still shifts hard it needs to come apart so all parts can be inspected for wear.

Edited by - slippert on 07/03/2011 8:02:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  7:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
After thinking about fords with 6.6 can't remember for sure if they had a clutch brake on them if they don't that won't do you any good.
I still stand by my comments about input shaft possibly being worn and getting a second opinion.
Because there's is no reason you shouldn't be able to get vehicle into gear especially from a stop or setting still, unless there are worn parts in the clutch area, and a qualified mechanic should be able to tell you, whether it's adjusted properly or it needs a new clutch.

Edited by - slippert on 07/03/2011 8:00:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fathertime1968

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2011 :  8:42:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the probable causes slippert!!!! I thought something still seemed wrong. Like I said though, I don't want to cause any hard feelings with the mechanic, he is a honest person from what I heard from my boss. Then again, he doesn't work on school buses for a living either. Maybe they are something new to him? I will print this forum out and give a copy to my boss and we will go from there. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  11:38:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would look at the pilot bearing as a possible cause for your hard shift.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2011 :  08:06:02 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yep, pilot bearing is a good possiblity, falls into the catagory of related clutch parts that a qualifed mech should ck, basically any part in the clutch area that keeps the input shaft from slowing/stopping could cause the vehicle to be hard to put into gear
Go to Top of Page

Fathertime1968

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  6:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for the information guys!!!!! It has been a BIG help!!!

While I'm thinking about it...Does anyone know where I can get an owner's manual for this bus besides ebay??? I have had no luck there. I have very limited time to try to find this kind of item on ebay or anywhere. Any help with that would be a HUGE relief!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2011 :  7:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't help you there. Bus dealer? You would think they would have some when they come in on trade. At least all mine go with the bus when I trade them in.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000