Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2011 :  12:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure on the alternative fuels. I would imagine if there is a demand it would be possible. It is still too early to see if large propane school buses will be a long term solution or not.

Just so everyone knows, the bus will be on display at the NY trade show this Monday, July 18th, from 10AM - 3 PM. The show is in Saratoga Springs, NY at the convention center.

In addition, the bus will be in Syracuse, NY on July 21st at the Holiday Inn for the head mechanics show.
Go to Top of Page

MorrisV2

53 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2011 :  5:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit MorrisV2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On a sad note Michele Corbeil died this week. It seems fitting to start there.

I really doubt that the Lion will gain any foothold in a market that seems to be on a downturn. Large multinations have taken the profit level for operators to a point where they seem to stuggle to keep afloat. Launching a new product that is built in Canada with the dollar above PAR and with limited chassis support looks like certain disaster.

I mean no disrespect and I am just voicing my opinion.

I think this project is doomed for failure. It could be a great product however it has a snowballs chance of gaining sufficient sales to continue.

I would go so far as to predict it doesn't make market next year.

The nice thing about posting this is I could very well eat my text a year from now. I am very willing to admit my error in that case.

I know Michele Corbeil had nothing to do with this project but I wanted to end this on this note;

Adieu monsieur le Professeur. Adieu Monsieur Corbeil.

tu vas nous manquer.
Go to Top of Page

BluebirdFreightliner

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  11:13:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit BluebirdFreightliner's Homepage  Send BluebirdFreightliner an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree with morris. that is a doomed project. however, if it made it to the south of the US, i would be suprised. I think it is safe to bet this bus will not last.

with Bluebird, ya get alot of bang for your buck.
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  4:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I saw this bus today in person at NYAPT. I was quite impressed. You can tell it is really built to last. Even the feel of the dash is so much more solid than IC or Blue Bird. There are still some minor details that need working out. Storage areas and compartments up front need to be improved on. I brought up the point to one of the Lion reps that there really is no good place to put lost & found items. Also there is no driver's cubby. He seemed receptive of my suggestions, and said that they are still working on refinements. Overall the bus really has a lot of nice features, and I feel that if they have the right marketing team, it may just have a chance.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  4:35:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got to see the Lion in person today, and I have to say I'm impressed. Everything about it looks solid, and they've addressed a lot of common issues with other manufacturers. It's nice to see someone going for quality instead of low bid.

I think enough districts and contractors will be willing to spend a little more up front for something that could last. They claim the Lion will last 15 years. Only time will tell, but it looks plausible from what I saw today.
Go to Top of Page

BluebirdFreightliner

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  5:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit BluebirdFreightliner's Homepage  Send BluebirdFreightliner an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ok.... umm, i will think about that. thanks! :)

Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  6:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
???
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  8:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morris,

I understand where you are coming from with your statements. However, without going into details, I will say that Lion is prepared to be in this for the long haul and has a very solid core of investors. In addition, they are aligned with a strong Canadian bank that is aware of the challenges of the school bus business.

Spartan is also familiar with school buses and has a great reputation in other fields for parts and service support.

Based off of the feedback from the 200+ people that visited the booth at the NY show today, I believe this is a product that people have been needing in northern climates. And with budgets getting tighter, operators are expected to keep their buses longer with less maintenance costs. This bus accomplishes that for not much more than what they are paying now.

We shall see how things work out, but I sure as hell am excited to see something and sell something that actually is a real game changer in this business.

Here is a pic of Gorman's new demo:

Edited by - RichBusman on 07/18/2011 8:09:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

MorrisV2

53 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  09:39:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit MorrisV2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichBusman

Morris,

I understand where you are coming from with your statements. However, without going into details, I will say that Lion is prepared to be in this for the long haul and has a very solid core of investors. In addition, they are aligned with a strong Canadian bank that is aware of the challenges of the school bus business.

Spartan is also familiar with school buses and has a great reputation in other fields for parts and service support.

Based off of the feedback from the 200+ people that visited the booth at the NY show today, I believe this is a product that people have been needing in northern climates. And with budgets getting tighter, operators are expected to keep their buses longer with less maintenance costs. This bus accomplishes that for not much more than what they are paying now.

We shall see how things work out, but I sure as hell am excited to see something and sell something that actually is a real game changer in this business.

Here is a pic of Gorman's new demo:

The Demo looks very good and it is certainly show ready. As to Canadian Banks, backing is one thing partnership is another. A bank in Canada does not stand behind the production of vehicles it would set up lines of credit based on securements. The Quebec government would no doubt have invested some kind of home spun support package and underwriting capital in some form. Quebec is very aggressive that way and one only has to look at Nova, Prevost, and Bombardier.

I simply think that in an American market with the shape of your econmomy and the shape of public funding here in Canada this is the worst time in recent history to have a start up like this. The Starcraft Hino is evidence of this as well.

It is an uphill climb and I simply do not see this coming to any kind of numbers to sustain market shares that would put it in a volume situation. I can see it reaching Corbeil levels however that was sustained by Laidlaw Canada and it is now First Student. It will be interesting to see what next year will bring but they have missed this year in sales.

Rich having said all that, any word on Canadian Dealerships or are they going to handle it factory direct?

This of course is only my opipion.

I like the looks of it and it has some interesting features. No doubt some will show up on other buses in the future as is the case with all good ideas.
Go to Top of Page

BluebirdFreightliner

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  11:39:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit BluebirdFreightliner's Homepage  Send BluebirdFreightliner an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, now that i look at it, the bus is growing on me.

Go to Top of Page

IC_cruiser2804

48 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2011 :  1:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks fair.
We shall see how all those aluminum and fiberglass panels hold out..

Go to Top of Page

11D3FE

1 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2011 :  04:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit 11D3FE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i like this bus
Go to Top of Page

old_school

United States
29 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  10:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit old_school's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So i guess the Starcraft bus is no more?
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  1:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been a while, any milestones lately? (Same with the Starcraft? http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20384 )
Go to Top of Page

bigredmachine

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  2:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somewhere I saw a pic of it in service somewhere in Canada, but that's all ive seen

Formerly BlueBirdMan
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  4:42:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are units in service in Canada...

Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2011 :  6:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like Starcraft is taking its time, if they are going to produce a bus at all. Can't wait to see a Lion in service in the US.

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!
Go to Top of Page

ic-corp95

USA
156 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2011 :  8:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit ic-corp95's Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, looks like i need to hurry up and graduate because with the looks of the hino, and the new lions bus (both look like designs i thought of), looks like the way i like to design doesnt look so crazy anymore =P

its coming....the 2013 LC CE!
Go to Top of Page

bbvision12

43 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2011 :  1:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbvision12's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Starcraft Guardians as far as I know are being produced, they're just not being bought most likely because Starcrafts are normally sold at another company dealer, such as an IC dealer. The Lion Bus is also having a wheelchair lift in the works, from the emails they've sent me.
Go to Top of Page

JerseyDevil

35 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2011 :  5:18:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit JerseyDevil's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks nice! I hope we buy some, either in Fair Lawn or Woods!

"10 to Obermayer...we have a transport to Crestwood, 354."
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  07:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have any of these models been put in service in the US yet? I know several have been built and are running in Canada.

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!
Go to Top of Page

bbvision12

43 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  09:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit bbvision12's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not yet, as far as I know. They did get pretty good comments at NAPT, so I wonder if they'll start to show up. I hope so. They are one of the first buses I have seen around now that seems to look good, have durability, and safety. A 15 year life span is unheard of, except from a Crown Coach in California, or any West Coast bus for that matter!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.43 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000