Thomas C2 Listed for Salvage - Why?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  5:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Listed for $4,400 as salvage. I wonder why??? Neat front warning lamp visors...

http://www.usedcarpost.net/Salvage-FREIGHTLINER-B2-BUS-6-7L-6-2009_zfqxulzzoujxofulzzfw.html

Perhaps it's a mistake in the ad. Nice bus to look at though.

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  6:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've seen that before, its one of those buses from Shelby Co., AL. It's neat because they are one of the only other districts (outside of KY) that still regularly orders black belts on buses.

I've seen many versions of this listing, I remember reading on one that the bus had flood damage. I think they also had several other buses listed as salvage but I don't remember the links right now.

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  6:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it had flood damage they can't touch.

keep those buses rolling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/schoolbushistory
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2011 :  7:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flood damage. Inside appears wet and full of dirt/mud.

Way too difficult repairing something that has been submerged with all of the electronics and emissions controls.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2011 :  02:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a C2...that's why.
Go to Top of Page

bbvision12

43 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  1:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbvision12's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah. All the technology in today's buses isn't worth paying to repair when it is easier to just buy a new one, and/or is actually cheaper. Trying to fix this C2 up would be like trying to repair a bus after a bus barn fire. Nothing worth left in it but the metal shells.
Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  2:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an extremely easy fix.

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?auctionID=0&itemID=11808797&RowNumber=0
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  05:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'd probably have to cut the bows and header out and weld in replacements. I've seen it done, but a lot of guys don't want the liabilty. $85K for a new bus or 5 million in a courtroom...make the choice easy. Besides...it's a C2...why bother.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  06:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
What happened to that second one, did it tip into a tree or something? Amazing that that could force a bus off the road. I only see damage to one window section, maybe the bows are in okay and only the header needs replacement. That header is not a continuous part anyway.

I understand your position TB24, but I have to say I would be disappointed in my maintenance department or insurance company if that bus could not be fixed. If you're touching brakes I think you could touch structure. I understand someone's fear of the lawyers, but if you document the repair and show that you did it the right way, I think you'd be safe. You mechanics are better educated than the line worker or robot that put that bus together (and I mean no offense to the production staff).

When Thomas had those issues with roof bows cracking in the 1995 models, districts had to peel up the roof panel and pull the bows out (somehow???) to replace them. (Maybe they were provided with a splice?) That operation would be similar more indepth than what is likely required to repair this C2 (if I see the damage correctly). I know my district would not have been in the position to junk all their 1995s.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

BluebirdFreightliner

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  6:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit BluebirdFreightliner's Homepage  Send BluebirdFreightliner an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Ford 85-16

Listed for $4,400 as salvage. I wonder why??? Neat front warning lamp visors...

http://www.usedcarpost.net/Salvage-FREIGHTLINER-B2-BUS-6-7L-6-2009_zfqxulzzoujxofulzzfw.html

Perhaps it's a mistake in the ad. Nice bus to look at though.

That bus is from my district, i rode it once. :D it had flood damage, right before it was gonna be sold due to issues in the W?L or something

with Bluebird, ya get alot of bang for your buck.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000