School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 ALLISON 6-Speed =The Perfect Transmission?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dwight

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2011 :  01:34:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I read the posts by maintenance personal asking for help, I realize that we have a generation of personal that were born to late.

My generation had the perfect Allison.
It had 6 speeds and could be geared to operate as an overdrive resulting in longer engine life and higher MPG.
It had a vehicle speed retarder that would reduce brake wear and give an exceptional safety advantage in mountainous and steep hill driving.
IT had a locking converter that worked beautifully as you accelerated from a stop and up through the shifts and it ran cool without slippage.
It had two extra low gears to start heavy loads up to the rated 80,000# GVW and this allowed the retarder to bring the vehicle almost to a stop without using the brakes in an emergency.
The oil and filter were changed by removing one(1) nut & bolt.
All of this cost only $1000 in 1965, and production ran through 1972.
In 1968 I met with an engineer in Indiana and showed how I had to slightly modify the external throttle modular linkage to correct their mistake that would have caused every transmission to fail prematurely. (You don't tell General Motors what to do)
I maintained 13-school buses, 2-50,000# gravel trucks, and 2-fire trucks for the full life of each vehicle and never opened an Allison oil pan.

1971 New 4&5 speed Allison. A real disaster, the problems would never quit. Allison coined the phrase--"we never heard of that before"
1994 Allison really stuck it to engine manufactures by not stressing the problems of mating a dumb outdated transmission to an electronic engine. This continuing 55 year modulator problem was not corrected until the 21st century. Don't be timid when you lay blame on a failed 20th century Allison.
DSBSI
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000