Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Allison Fault Codes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2011 :  07:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Allison MD3060 pushbutton- 2002 BB AA RE, 5.9 cummins.

I have a code, D1 2214, which comes up as "engine speed sensor". I have tried to clearing the code, by holding the mode button for 3 seconds till it flashes, and also by holding it for 10 seconds till it flashes. The code does not clear, so I am assumeing it is an active code. No other codes.

What sensor is this referring to? Where is it located, and how can I test it?

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2011 :  11:00:23 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't see that code in my Allison software. The speed sensor is located in the front of the trans. bell housing on the rt side below the pto plate next to the transmission mtg bolts.
Go to Top of Page

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2011 :  7:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The code is actually just 2214. The D1 just signifies the first diagnostic code. I wonder if this is the sensor that is on the right side of the transmission (left side of an RE bus)towards the bottom of the bellhousing. There is a sensor in there that was replaced. How do I know? It has wire crimps that are the heat shrink type, and aren't shrunk! I'll have to look at that sensor. Maybe its bad or improperly shimmed. I wish I had a way to find out what the computer is seeing.

Here is some more background... When I bought the bus, the mechanic said (and was in the service record) that the bus had a problem that it would downshift (while going down the road) to fourth gear and get stuck there, until you restarted it. The mechanic said that he tested it, but couldn't find any problems. He said he tested the whole wiring harness too. Since I have owned the bus, I have put almost 600 miles on it, and never experienced the issue. I am wondering if its related.

We can't all be conventional!
http://www.youtube.com/user/matts4290
Go to Top of Page

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  7:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like the wires go straight to the trans computer for the engine speed sensor. So if its a wiring issue, its between the trans computer and the sensor, or its a bad sensor, or something wrong with the flywheel.

Is there a way to test the sensor without swapping it (Ohms, output, etc)?
Can I test the wiring by looking at ohms, continuity, presence of 12 volts at the sensor end of the wiring? I don't want to fry the computer with my tester or test light.

W/o a computer to plug in, is there a way to see what the computer is seeing, so I can see what is out of spec?

Where is the location of the trans computer on this bus?

We can't all be conventional!
http://www.youtube.com/user/matts4290
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  06:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[
Where is the location of the trans computer on this bus?

Behind the left rear wheel, in a steel box mounted to an outrigger. Between the hydraulic cooler and radiator. Nastiest part of the bus :)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000