New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  2:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick question (maybe) on an MD3060 equipped International 4300 with 350,000 miles, 300,000 of which are mine...

Since November and getting more frequent I'll be cruising at 55 or 1750ish RPM, hit an imperfection in the road, and the lockup disengages for about 3 seconds (2100 RPM) then goes back in again. If I happen to be using cruise, it kicks off. Off off, pushing resume doesn't get it, gotta turn the master on again.

Yesterday the ABS light came on (hydraulic) but after shutting down, restarting and reaching 7 MPH it went out again. Made me wonder if it's related to the issue, but to be fair there is alot of flooding this week and I had been splashing a lot of water all day.

It seems to happen when/if the right rear wheels hit a hole or dip. Try to pull code from cluster "NO FAULT", Allison keypad lists no codes either. Not getting "check trans" or "Range inhibited" when this occurs.

Diff feels tight, rearmost u-joint is a little sloppy, but not what I'd deem bad yet.

Thoughts?

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 03/01/2011 2:07:59 PM

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  05:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe brake light circuit related?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  09:38:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the ABS is throwing a code or thinks that the brakes are being applied, the transmission will drop out of lock-up. Allison is really funny about wanting to disengage the driveline to complete a stop.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  01:54:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hadn't really entertained the brake light circuit idea because when the cruise kicks off, the master has to be turned back on, unlike when you hit the brake pedal and disengage it. In the muiltiplex world ANYTHING is possible though.

ABS light was on and off all day yesterday, and when it's on, that tranny won't act up.

Dealer says they have a truck doing the exact same thing right now. Going to be interesting.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2011 :  5:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any ABS codes? I'd start by checking the connections to the ABS controller and the firewall connections.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 03/03/2011 5:27:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2011 :  02:03:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's at the dealer now since the powers that be don't want me wasting my time tacking it down, but rather want to pay them $100/hr to do so. No, I don't make over $100/hr!!!!

How does a guy get the ABS flash codes on these? I've never needed to until now. I check the Allison with the arrow keys, the chassis/body codes with the wheel switches and get "No Fault" on the display, yet the ABS lamp is on, so I guess the cluster can't tell me why?
Go to Top of Page

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  09:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The torque converter clutch on my MD3060 does not unlock when I hit the brake or release on the throttle. It stays locked in until I slow down enough, probably for engine braking. -02 AA RE, cummins 5.9ISB

We can't all be conventional!
http://www.youtube.com/user/matts4290
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000