Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Gmc brake problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chopstyx

14 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  07:33:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit chopstyx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Before any repairs made "driver" wrote up, pedal fading at end of brake stroke, test drove and found this to be true, also pulls hard
replaced left caliper and front rotors, pads. bleed front system
On test drive the fadi at pedal not so much.
Possible air in lines at rear, abs block air issue, or master cylinder. no abs light on or codes
As of this going to bleed rear and take for test drive, then go from there?

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  09:14:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check those brake hoses, if in doubt replace them.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

stovebolt

37 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  10:54:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit stovebolt's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you stomp on the pedal and the pedal stays firm, but push slowly on the pedal and it fades you have a master cylinder issue.

I'd replace that other caliper too, I don't ever replace just one caliper on an axle, do them both to keep things balanced. Besides, if one caliper goes, how far behind is the other?
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  1:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sometimes a brake pad will debond and fall half way off the caliper. It can cause a pull. The backing plate will be bending over where the part of the pad is missing causing a squishy pedal. Id check the rear brake pads closely.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2011 :  4:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are we talking a full size B7 chassis? I'm leaning more toward a master cylinder/ brake booster thing. I agree with Stovebolt on the calipers too. If this is a B7 you can get those calipers for $45 and that is a cheap fix to protect children.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

chopstyx

14 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  09:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit chopstyx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Replaced master, abs valve, module, and both rear calibers.Bled the complete system. Checked hoses, lines, ect.
Could it be the booster at the back of the master?

Pedal still fades, on brake stroke around 10 mph, then it feels
like it wants to go into abs.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  2:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this is a B7 then I would say yes.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

wocobus

United States
18 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  11:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit wocobus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dose the pedal fade when the bus is not moving .If not I would cheek for a loose wheel bearing and push wheel speed sensors in
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000