School Bus Accident in Spartanburg, SC
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  08:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.goupstate.com/article/20110121/articles/110129943

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2011 :  09:07:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Noo! Thats one of our Senators :(.

More seriously, though. I'm glad there were no life threatening injuries and it doesn't appear to be too bad of an accident (though every accident is bad, of course). I can feel for them because I was in an accident in the exact same type of bus they were in, where our driver wrecklessly ran into another vehicle pulling out from a gas station. The driver of the other vehicle will be in my thoughts as well as well as those injured.

Another story with video of the accident:
http://www.foxcarolina.com/news/26570159/detail.html
Go to Top of Page

tyler b

22 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  2:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit tyler b's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If it was truly "on its way" there, then thats SCs problem because they could have 2 to a seat and route buses more efficiently when they aquire newer ones:p
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  4:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tyler b

If it was truly "on its way" there, then thats SCs problem because they could have 2 to a seat and route buses more efficiently when they aquire newer ones:p

That is a 70 passenger bus and it had 37 kids on board. I don't see what new buses have anything to do with this. In a rear end accident, both buses would have help up the same. Seats have not changed over the years, there is no new modern equipment that would have prevented whiplash injuries.
Go to Top of Page

tyler b

22 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  2:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit tyler b's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jake what I mean is they made it sound as if they were headed to the school, done picking up. No debate about seats, safety equpment, I mean when they get the " newer " ones to replace the "unsafe, obselite, evil cancer causing demons" from the 80's that the news says they could fill all the buses to capacity and have less of them, saving the districts money. 37 to a 70 pass bus seems like the problem. Our bus only has 16 people on good days and i feel like they waste resources by not merging the route or doing the routes different because 16 on a 48 passenger bus feels empty. They should fill them up to save money, to replace the "lung polluting monsters"

BTW... Where is obama to help them in all of this?

Edited by - tyler b on 01/23/2011 2:49:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  3:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tyler b

Jake what I mean is they made it sound as if they were headed to the school, done picking up. No debate about seats, safety equpment, I mean when they get the " newer " ones to replace the "unsafe, obselite, evil cancer causing demons" from the 80's that the news says they could fill all the buses to capacity and have less of them, saving the districts money. 37 to a 70 pass bus seems like the problem. Our bus only has 16 people on good days and i feel like they waste resources by not merging the route or doing the routes different because 16 on a 48 passenger bus feels empty. They should fill them up to save money, to replace the "lung polluting monsters"

BTW... Where is obama to help them in all of this?

Thats not always a choice. You can't fill every bus to capacity, and even at the capacity, thats 3 students to a seat. That is not viable for high school students, or middle school at that matter. Combining routes make them longer, meaning students will have to wait longer to get home. One neighborhood might have 30 kids in it, another might have 24. If you combine those routes, you will have that bus serving two neighborhoods now, and the students would not get home until after the others are dropped off. The longer kids have to ride on a bus, the more problems that are created. That is the huge issue locally here, is that buses take too long to get students home. It is really bad for Kindergartens and elementary school students as parents want them home as soon as possible.

The other thing is, I don't think you understand the debate with South Carolina. SC cannot replace buses, because theres no money! The state has not had money to buy new buses since 2007. The only money they had in 2008 was what was left over, which isn't much. Now, theres no money in the "replacement" budget, the only money they have is the money they make off of selling their older buses for scrap metal. Whether thats right or wrong is another debate, but SC has done their best managing their resources and making the best of their tight budget. Do they need a bailout? NO. Enough of Americans' tax dollars are wasted enough. If its not broke, then don't try to fix it!

Edited by - Jake on 01/23/2011 3:18:15 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000