SC: More used buses to the rescue for tax payers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  10:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Used School Buses Drive To The Rescue For Taxpayers

A Department of Education release states South Carolina students will be riding in new school buses soon.

New to them anyway.

The 24 buses were purchased from a school district in Alabama, the department says.

Read more:
http://www2.wspa.com/news/school-watch/2011/jan/05/department-education-buys-used-school-buses-ar-1304967/

intec1172

18 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  2:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit intec1172's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if i were a district leader, i would buy used buses to. as a tax payer and a bus fan i think buying used (with caution!) is a better deal than paying 100 grand for todays plasticky junk.
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  3:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by intec1172

if i were a district leader, i would buy used buses to. as a tax payer and a bus fan i think buying used (with caution!) is a better deal than paying 100 grand for todays plasticky junk.

I completely agree. I think the media has really taken this in a bad direction. One of the things that hurt the "used" argument the most is that they've had a lot of "bus fires" lately, however, all of those were 1995 Thomas Saf-T-Liner ER's owned by the state purchased new, not the used buses. Now all of the citizens of SC want the school bus program to be privatized.. looks to me that they are doing a satisfactory job right now! I also liked how they said that drivers brag about the used KY buses lol.
Go to Top of Page

mr.bluebird

United States
44 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  7:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr.bluebird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i agree to but some new and used is good as well but sc has to do whats best

YOUR CHILDS SAFETY IS OUR BUSINESS!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  7:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr.bluebird

i agree to but some new and used is good as well but sc has to do whats best

Well it sounds like they are doing what they can, since the state has not provided them with adequate funds to replace their current fleet.
Go to Top of Page

mr.bluebird

United States
44 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  8:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr.bluebird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
maybe they should look in to leasing their fleet

YOUR CHILDS SAFETY IS OUR BUSINESS!!!
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  10:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr.bluebird

maybe they should look in to leasing their fleet

There is talk about privatizing their school bus system, but its still being debated.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  2:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They talk about buses from the mid '80s and cut to a picture of a C2? WTF? hahahaha So how were those C2s purchased? I find it interesting that some of the buses retain the KY black belt.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999

Edited by - Thomas Ford 85-16 on 01/07/2011 2:44:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  4:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Ford 85-16

They talk about buses from the mid '80s and cut to a picture of a C2? WTF? hahahaha So how were those C2s purchased? I find it interesting that some of the buses retain the KY black belt.

(I hate to be the only person replying to everyone here)..

Actually, they retrofitted black belts on all of the '99 Intl AmTrans they purchased from Alabama, I found that interesting. As for the new buses, I don't know about the C2s.. but they have had problems with the HDX's catching on fire
Go to Top of Page

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  4:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see nothing wrong with them buying used buses. I think its great that they are reusing products instead of sending to the scrap yard to be demolished. The only criticism I have is that when you purchase a used bus, it is unlikely that it will be in satisfactory condition, so I am wondering how much they spend additionally to make it fit for the road.
For instance, if I was selling a bus, I wouldn't replace the tires, or brakes if I knew I was getting rid of it. How many of these buses are ready for tires, brakes, batteries, and maintanance right from the start?

We can't all be conventional!
http://www.youtube.com/user/matts4290
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2011 :  5:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You'd be surprised. A lot of buses end up getting sold after a few years in pretty good shape. You can't just buy something sight unseen, but there are a lot of school districts that take very good care of their equipment. Some districts and contractors have a strict age limit and consider resale value to be significant, so they view maintenance as an investment.

A good shop won't put a used bus on the road without a thorough service. Even with replacing tires and doing a full PM and brake job, buying a used bus can still offer significant savings over new.

As for leasing or privatizing, that won't necessarily save them money over running old buses. Leasing and contracting require a regular payment, often close to the cost of payments on a new bus. Owning a vehicle outright doesn't cost as much if it's reliable, but the concern is the higher cost of maintenance to keep older buses on the road, as well as the public perception of "old buses."

The first company I worked for, Double A, ran buses up to 20 years old. They bought reliable buses, had one of the best preventative maintenance programs in the state, and sold anything that turned out to be a money pit after it was paid off. They saved a lot of money by keeping the buses they owned outright. Whenever the owner found good deals on used buses with a good maintenance history, he bought them. You need someone making purchasing decisions who knows what to look for and doesn't just look at the bottom line.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000