Driver Possibly Violated Policy In Child's Death
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2011 :  1:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
School Bus Driver Possibly Violated Policy In 6-Year-Old’s Death

December 30, 2010
The Baltimore Sun
A special needs student died after falling off a moving school bus. Now officials say the bus driver may have violated safety protocols.

Ron Matz reports officials say the bus should not have been moving when the student fell out.

City school leaders say the bus driver should have immediately stopped the bus when Jeremy Jennings Jr. began fighting with another student.

After the fight, the 6-year-old tried to leave the bus through the back door, taking a fatal fall.

According to WJZ’s media partner, The Baltimore Sun, city school leaders are now reviewing protocols for transporting special needs students.

The boy’s family plans to file a lawsuit.

Click Here for source

Stopping bullying on the school buses - Fast Track slide presentation to help stop bullying on the school buses. Includes class handouts. Free to use in self-study, for class training, and for presentation to the school board. Click Here for Link (See Post # 14)

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  4:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lawsuit? On the grounds of what? "My child got in a fight so he jumped out the back of a moving school bus, now I'm suing the school."

Although, if the driver was aware of the fight, I agree that he should have stopped the bus and carried out whatever procedure they have in place for fights. And the kid was only 6... first grade, and special needs. It's unfortunate that a fight led to such a tragic death of one so young.

Edited by - 08 Thomas EF on 01/03/2011 12:49:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

SteveCof00

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  8:34:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit SteveCof00's Homepage  Send SteveCof00 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
After reading the SBF article on the accident (click here), there's a few details that come out that weren't shown in the newspaper article.

If the student, who was supposed to be strapped in some sort of harness, was busy getting into fights and then running from the front of the bus and then the back (escaping 2 adults and the driver in the process) before he did what he did, then protocol and procedure does indeed some sort of review.

Yes, the bus should have been stopped, but in the real world, that's not going to happen the second a fight breaks out on the bus (and weren't there aides on the bus?). Although the sound of the warning buzzer alone would be enough to scare off most students, an emotionally disturbed child would not think like that, and that's why the back door opened before the bus driver could hit the brakes or he could be pulled back in.

As far as the lawsuit goes...I could see it going either way. Technically, yes, some rules were broken. On the other hand, most students don't need to be restrained for fear of them actually escaping the bus. Would this be part of a typical school bus route? Absolutely not.

http://schoolbusweb.proboards.com/
Go to Top of Page

twinkiebusdriver

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  7:07:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are special needs children whose IEP specifies that the child must be placed in a child restraint harness in order to ride the bus. IF the aides did not put the child in that restraint at the beginning of the bus run as they were supposed to each and every day I can see where driver and aides would possibly be liable for the student's death.

Formerly mlkdrives41
Go to Top of Page

mr.bluebird

United States
44 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  7:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr.bluebird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it sounds very fishy to me how the child was able to jump
out of the bus and no one stoped him when he went for the rear door

YOUR CHILDS SAFETY IS OUR BUSINESS!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000