Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 1992 dt466 dying
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

billritter

28 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  6:04:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit billritter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a 92 genesis with a 466. It is just a good old bus, but it let me down today. Going down the road, it just sputtered and died. It would not immediately restart. After letting it set for a couple of minutes, it did barely restart and I was able to struggle along and get it to a clearing on the roadside. It died three times in all, each time it would re-start after sitting a few minutes.

I'm going to change the fuel filters tomorrow. I'm looking through the 1 manual that I have for this old engine, and mine is not like the diagrams that I see. I do not have a pre-strainer and a filter, I have two spin on type filters side by side. I also do not see the priming pump where the manual says it should be.

What do you guys think (about the cause of the dying, and the filter/prime pump)?

Edited by - billritter on 12/15/2010 6:49:40 PM

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  04:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not much that would stop a 92 DT466 other than an interuption in supply of fuel without air bubbles.
The DT466 had a major redesign in 1994 so you could have the later manual.
I never had a DT466 of that vintage but our DT360s had the primer pump right on the injection pump.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 12/16/2010 04:39:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  06:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The early DT's had valves and springs under the two nuts or caps, one is possibly the primer pump, on the lift pump the valves are flat discs with a stem sticking up from them that holds the spring. the valves can break or wear out. check for suction on the rear most filter over 5 lbs. and pressure of at least 25-30 lbs. out of the lift pump to injection pump fitting at front, the fitting at the rear of pump with the long adapter under the banjo fitting is the overflow valve that keeps the pressure up in the pump. This valve also has a spring and plunger that can wear out.
Go to Top of Page

billritter

28 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  08:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit billritter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info! I did find the priming pump, it is on the side of the lift pump. I am able to start it if I pump up th primer. It will run for a little while, th run out of fuel. I changed the filters, and the problem remains. I ordered a new lift pump, I assume it will come with new plungers, etc., correct?
It will be here tomorrow, I guess we will find out. It's just not getting enough fuel to the injection pump. I'm also going to pull the pickup tube and check for leaks, but the fuel lines all look good, and I did not find any leaks after applying 5 psi of pressure on the fuel tank filler.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  2:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You could have a leak on the suction side of the supply pump. Examine the fuel line between the primary filter and the tank for chafing especially around the bell housing.

I had a pickup tube fall off years ago that was lots of fun to fix. Come to think of it, it was a '92 4900 plow truck with a DT466 right in the middle of a snowstorm.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2010 :  4:30:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
On one of my '93's with the DTA360, I had a chaffed section of fuel line that was sucking in air and causing the bus to stall. They ended up having to drop the fuel tank to get to the section of fuel line that was chaffed.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

Baggs

9 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  04:04:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Baggs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with the idea's of air leaks on the suction side of the fuel system. I've always looked for damp looking fittings when an air leak was suspected. Does this unit have a fuel/water separator on it, have seen those leak around the sealing o-rings.

You could rig up a fuel line from the suction side of the transfer pump directly to the fuel tank, by passing all the fittings. Then you will have your answer.

HTH B.
Go to Top of Page

dizell

2 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  04:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit dizell's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You might check the vent line on your fuel tank. If it's plugged up it will cause a vacumme in the tank that the fuel pump can't overcome that will starve the engine for fuel.Might be any easy fix for you.
Go to Top of Page

billritter

28 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  05:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit billritter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all of the suggestions, the new transfer pump did fix the problem. Whether it was just the check valve in the pump, or the pump itself, I do not know.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000