Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 IC BE suspension
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
21 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  1:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit 007's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have recently purchased an IC BE bus with a chair lift. We are having handling problems and seemingly no help from the shocks. You can stand in the bus and rock it side to side as well as lift it up and rock it from both bumpers by hand. It will continue to rock as though the shocks are bad. Our local IC dealer thinks it may not have enough springs under it, and they are in agreement that it drives too weird. The right rear bumper sits 1.5 inches lower than the left rear as well. Anyone have any ideas? It was ordered with the lift specs. so we're thinking the extra lift weight should have been figured in the chassis build. IC requested pictures of the suspension and they have been taken and sent by our local dealer.

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  8:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My suggestion is take it back and buy something other than an IC. Sorry if I hurt you IC guys fealings but I am real sore at IC right now. By the way, I would give my dealer at least an A through the whole thing. I don't have a thing against them. (Mid-West) Well, they could change their phone system but I won't hold that against them.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JRob
Advanced Member

207 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  03:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit JRob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are helper springs available in the market that can be added to the suspension to help with this. I've seen this option available on Type A school buses built on cutaway chassis.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/helper-spring/c11309j1s17.jcwx

See the link for examples. Most are for Trucks and SUV's not sure if there is something out there for an IC or International truck?

Edited by - JRob on 12/15/2010 03:59:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  12:26:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a never ending problem with lift busses. The fuel tank and added weight of the lift is not compensated for. Adding spacer blocks under the right side spring packs will level the bus out but if its leaning several inches a stiffer spring might be required on that side.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000