New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mik

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  11:37:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just received an odd request from the school board members ,
they would like us to change the block heater cord locations to the rear bumper to accommodate drivers backing into the parking spots instead of pulling in .

anyone ever dealt with this before ? seems like an odd request to me .

I can foresee replacing many poles this coming year

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  11:42:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Install Webasto or Espar heater with timer on each unit and then put a dummy electric plug in on the rear of bus.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 05/27/2010 11:43:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  12:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love requests like this! I would just run 110 volt wire in conduit to the rear of the bus. Not a real brain twister just time consuming.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  12:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What West said works. I have done four of them on AAREs in the past. I ran it to the front bumper from the engine but left the rear plug just in case.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

JC_Theriault

114 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  4:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit JC_Theriault's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know the electrical inspectors back in my home region would require a GFCI in at the start of the conduit run as that would be considered a new 110v. installation, and the fact that the vehicle isn't grounded while sitting on the tires. Good quality 50' + extension cords can be found for a decent price these days. Just run one down the side of the bus.
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  6:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

I love requests like this! I would just run 110 volt wire in conduit to the rear of the bus. Not a real brain twister just time consuming.

^What he said. I used to work at a district that did that to all of their conventionals since all the buses back in. I don't know that they had any problems with drivers taking out the poles...usually the electric plugs would pull off first.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  05:08:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1983WardFord

quote:
Originally posted by bwest

^What he said. I used to work at a district that did that to all of their conventionals since all the buses back in. I don't know that they had any problems with drivers taking out the poles...usually the electric plugs would pull off first.

I got the impression he was talking about the drivers backing over the posts.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

turbine

United States
49 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  05:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All (75) of Our block heater plugs are located on the front bumpers.The drivers are required to back the bus into its correct parking space (without backing over the recptical pole).Each driver is supplied with a lighted plug extension cord for the bus and need to plug the bus in at the end of ther shift when instructed to do so during the winter.That makes it simpler for the last mechanic out at night or me in the morning to walk or drive through the lot and see if any of the GFI recpt have tripped or if the driver forgot to plug in. and we believe that backing in makes the lot safer for the drivers that are walking to there bus in the morning.

Turbine..
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  11:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've never understood why districts would pull buses in frontward...it is so much safer to back them into their spots so you can see when pulling out. My hometown has all front engine buses (conventionals and FEs) and every one of them has a rear engine block heater plug. The district used to order them like this from the factory or dealer...not sure who did the work. But recently they stopped coming like that (transportation director NOT happy) and the school district now as part of the "new bus prep" attaches an extension cord to the short cord provided with the bus and runs it to the back, installing a new plug back there. It's always done rather tastefully. As of late, the receptacles have been mounted immediately below the emergency door in that small metal panel. My own bus though has it up in the body panel, right next to the right side license plate indentation.

Now why your school board cares about this is beyond me.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  12:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a question. When you back busses into a lot parking space do they make the curbs come out so that the rear wheels hit them and there will be a lot of over hang on the walkway? Or do you just trust the drivers to stop at the right spot? Ive never seen anything like this.Pics?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000