Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

skydiverbill

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  1:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we use a dell lap top and a nexIQ usb. Local deal uses the same and a netbook or two

gravity powered fun from 13,000 feet= skydiving
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2011 :  06:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skydiverbill

Anyone have or tried the blue tooth connection, we have our usb connectors wearing out. Something to remember is the nexIQ can be repaired for $125.00 unless the board nees replace then it's $250. We had a different make and it became $800 paper weight because the connector was worn out. I wish we had a android app with the blue tooth adaptor. Nice to dream :P

For reading codes, clearing codes & possibly testing, the bluetooth may be alright. When reprogramming or changing parameters, I avoid wireless at all costs. Hard wired reduces data corruption. Data corruption is a concern when updating, reprogramming or flashing a component.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  07:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys, Check Ebay. There are people selling fully loaded laptops with OEM software. Some with an interface included. I have been following them and may eventually give one of them a call.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2012 :  11:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont use the blue tooth much anymore. left the interface hanging the bus to many times and had to chase after it. With the cable I always take it when I leave. Im testing a new Dearborn dpa5 so far works real nice, and comes with a generic software to see data off the can. has a spot to clear codes also but havent had a chance to try that yet. Nexiq is a nice fast cable but not very durable.

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  08:43:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel today I must give a BAD review to the Nexiq iQ. The scanner first started acting up freezing, giving jibberish as codes etc. I called support and went through a circus of transfers from person to person till I got someone after 45 minutes. Then I had to wait for an additional 30 minutes for a tech to tell me I need to send it in. Then transfers me back to another clueless person for a RMA. I waited, waited, finally disconnected. After 2 days of this I demanded snap-on get this fixed. So he sends it in after it too him the same circus of clowns to get the RMA. After 5 weeks I still don't have it back. It seems nobody there at Nexiq knows anything about it. I was lied to initially when I bought it that Cummins Insite would be out soon. Four years later I still have to run Heavy Duty Standard generic software on the Cummins engine. Then it spits out jibberish codes still. Now when I eventually get it back I will be selling it and getting the Toughbook. Over $4800 invested in software and the POS oversized, overpriced palm pilot! Lesson Learned!!! I have crap with intermittent and customers to fix. I have had to send several jobs to the dealer because of this. So...

My overall review? DO NOT BUY A NEXIQ IQ scanner!

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  2:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Breathe wolf, breathe! Your going to give yourself a heart failure.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  06:46:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Breathe wolf, breathe! Your going to give yourself a heart failure.

Corporate BS like what I am going through raises the adrenaline levels. I don't give up when faced with the challenge of dealing with these types of people. I have done it before and the heart is strong. They are going to do what's right or I will be a thorn in their side at every chance I get to review one of their products. Don't mess with an angry redhead on a mission.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2012 :  5:01:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So that's why I avoided the scanner and kept to the cables , laptop and software.

When it came to the NexIq cables, I found them to be the most versatile of the cables avalable. WolfOr's experience only confirms my aversion towards self contained scanners.

Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  03:50:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree 100%. Cars and Light Duty - scan tool. Buses - laptop is only way to go. You will still hassle with software loading etc. but the end product is much more worth the hassle.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  06:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JustinB

So that's why I avoided the scanner and kept to the cables , laptop and software.

When it came to the NexIq cables, I found them to be the most versatile of the cables available. WolfOr's experience only confirms my aversion towards self contained scanners.

I would hate to see anyone else get screwed like I did. I have dealt with issues since I got the Nexiq iQ 4 years ago. I was one of the beta testers. Technical support then was just as non-existent. And still today Cummins software for the POS isn't available. I was told 4 years ago that Cummins would be available soon. I haven't decided 100% weather the Toughbook is worth buying over a standard home laptop. It only has a 10" screen where a decent laptop HP or Dell is 15" or better.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  06:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dell has a semi rough service one that is much cheaper then the toughbook and has been working well for us so far.
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  4:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My $300 Acer OfficeMax Special has survived daily road work well.

I know a couple of guys running Netbooks with Linux ops systems successfully. Then again, their vocation is merely a means to support their computer habbit. The fiddle factor is pretty high for that light weight of a rig.

Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  7:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lenovo ThinkPads (previously made by IBM) are known for being very solid. If nothing else, their keyboards are unbeatable. I know; I'm using one now.

Edited by - 08 Thomas EF on 02/01/2012 06:00:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  10:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Compaq 6820s and it has really surprised me and our tech guy. I don't use it on a bus every day but it sits here running on my desk in the middle of the dusty, dirty shop everyday and never says boo. The only problem I have had is the left click button went out and I have had to use a mouse. it has a 17" screen and a number pad (I really like the number pad when doing paper work).

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  12:36:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We use a Dell semi rugged with nexiq usb link. Works wonderfull without any problems so far. We have Cummins Insite, Allison DOC, Meritor Wabco Diagnostics, Bendix, Service MAXX, DLB, DDDL, and all work great with the USB link. Dont think we would go any other way.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  06:34:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolf0r

Guys, Check Ebay. There are people selling fully loaded laptops with OEM software. Some with an interface included. I have been following them and may eventually give one of them a call.

Here is a post from another forum I am in on this subject.

Suggestions People....Most Ebay Truck Diagnostic Sellers are Shady...let me give you reasons to be carefull...
1) Old crappy laptops
2) Underpowered....<-----No one Checks Truck Diag Sw Requirements.....
3) You really Need atleast 250gb-500gb hd....multiply total data size on Hd (diagnostic sw + Cat Sis + Isis + More) x 3= Minimum Hd size needed..... Virtual memory issues can be avoided....
4) Maxx out Memory (Ram) 3-4Gb required....Volvo Ptt needs 2gbs by itself to run .....
5) Honestly Toughbooks Rule....Check out Ebay Best one i use is CF-74 !!!Kicks Butt!!!
Plenty of Upgrade capability......
6) Alot of the Sw you need is allready on the Forum....and if you ask niceley & Can donate to the forum....you can get licenses......of course Donation is not necessary but if you can help out the forum...they can help out guys like you with sw+Licenses....
7) You wont get Tech support from Ebay guys....
8) You wont get Engineering level Either.....

Just be carefull .......best of luck to all

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  1:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone PLEASE tell me how a motherboard in a scanner can go bad because of a failed software update! This just reinforces my belief about the whole experience of aftermarket scan tools, and the liars and thieves that sell them.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  1:56:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who knows. How does anything happen with a computer based system. I had a guy tell me once that he worked for Enterprise Rent a Car back in the 80s and early 90s taking care of their computers. He said they went 7 years of continuous operation w/o a main frame problem. He said the computers of today are just junk right out of the box.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  06:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Who knows. How does anything happen with a computer based system. I had a guy tell me once that he worked for Enterprise Rent a Car back in the 80s and early 90s taking care of their computers. He said they went 7 years of continuous operation w/o a main frame problem. He said the computers of today are just junk right out of the box.

I know the board was good. I requested they return the old board with the scanner. I'm gonna get it without the KY it looks like. Snap-On bought a Lemon for a company when they took on Nexiq. The USBLink works good though with my roll around PC. I'm getting a Toughbook C19 next when I sell the POS scanner.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  08:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SOLD! Now to buy some real diagnostic equipment.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000