T444E Oil Supply to the HPOP Resevoir Issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  8:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can a leaking front oil seal on a T444E cause th engine oil pump to occasionally not be able to keep up with the HPOP on start up?

Have one that occasionally starts and then dies after sitting for a few hours, upon checking HPOP resevoir it is found to be empty. Refill it and it starts and goes after some roughness. The resevoir does not drain out while sitting and this problem seems more likely to occur after a few hour shutdown than it is from sitting over a weekend.

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  03:23:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends on your year, but we saw two problems in the front cover that can cause that. One was a worn front cover where the oil pump gear runs and the other was a sticking check valve in the front pump cover which keeps the oil up in that cavity. I have never seen a front seal leak cause that but it may be related to another problem.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  12:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe we have located the problem, the front cover is cracked in the area where the oil pump mounts.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  08:09:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We replaced the front cover and inspected oil pickup tube. Problem seems to still exist. This is a 2001 T444E, there are no check valves that I am aware of in this front cover. Only check valve I know of is in the block and is to allow unfiltered oil to go directly to the HPOP resevoir until the filtered oil passageway can supply it, do these ever cause issues?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

GPwing

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  4:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit GPwing's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

Only check valve I know of is in the block and is to allow unfiltered oil to go directly to the HPOP resevoir until the filtered oil passageway can supply it, do these ever cause issues?

We have about 100 of these engines and can't say that we have not had a problem with bleed back because of the check valve you are talking about. For that matter I think the oil goes into the top of the housing so it can't bleed back. But I have seen problems with inj orings and injector themself causing a bleed down condition.

Edited by - GPwing on 01/17/2010 8:31:39 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000