School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Help with information on 2 carpenter buses?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fathertime1968

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  5:36:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some information on the buses I used to ride? The first one was an early 1980's (80-82) International conventional chassis with a Carpenter body. It had a diesel engine with a five speed manual transmission.(1st gear was a granny gear) I was wondering if anyone might know what engine it might have had? Was it a V8 or an inline six?

How much horsepower/torque did it have? It did have the manual/mechanical "pull out" engine stop to shut the motor down. What kind (what manufacturer made it) of transmission did it have? It had hydraulic brakes, was the parking brake hydraulic as well? I remember a lever that she pushed down on her left when she would park the bus.

How did it work? Did it lock the front or rear brakes when set? Why did that year engine sound a little more quiet, slightly deeper, and have less of the valve tap sound that the early 1990's that replaced it? Any information on this bus would be great. My other bus that I have questions about would be an early 1990's International conventional chassis with a carpenter body.

It was a 3800 series with an inline six and an allison automatic. I was wondering what engine this inline six was? What horsepower/torque did this engine have? What liter were the engines in both of the buses I mentioned, and what cubic inch measurements were they both? Both of the buses I'm asking about had the manual/mechanical "pull out" engine stop to shut the engine down. Thanks. Bob.

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  6:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The parking brake is on the back of the trans. Often times the parking brake levers that came through the floor were mounted to the side of the trans. When the lever is pulled the drive shaft is locked.
The early 80s bus could have had many types of engines. Most common with the pull out engine stop would probably be a 9.0lt V8 or a DT engine.
The 3800 bus would have a DT360, 360CI 5.9lt . A DT466 466CI 7.6lt I think. Maybe even a DT408 if it was a 94 year.

I'll let someone else help you with the H.P. specs and trans types

Robert B.

Edited by - 78fordwayne on 12/20/2009 6:27:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  7:57:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by truck451

The lever for hydraulic parking brakes are it's counterpart for the knob to engage and disengage the air parking brake
The engines in the early '80's could either be the then new 6.9 liter V8 diesel

The 6.9 didnt have a manual pull fuel shut off

And as far as the parking brake... What ???
Go to Top of Page

Fathertime1968

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  8:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that I had a chance to think back more, I do remember the 1990's model saying Dt4 something or other under the 3800 on the side of the hood if I remember right. It was not a 1994, but an earlier model.
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  8:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fathertime1968

Now that I had a chance to think back more, I do remember the 1990's model saying Dt4 something or other under the 3800 on the side of the hood if I remember right. It was not a 1994, but an earlier model.

If it had a badge on the hood, it is a 1994 or newer bus. Could either be a 7.3 V8, DT408, or DT466. DT360s had no badges.
Go to Top of Page

Fathertime1968

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  8:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The parking brake was mounted right underneath the gauge cluster to the left of the driver. I don't remember it coming through the floor at all. I do have some pictures from two locally privately owned early 1990's buses that are similar to what I had. They allowed me to take some pictures of their buses. I do not know how to upload them on this site from my pictures.
If anyone could give me some simple directions on how to do that, I would post these examples for you guys, I'm not very computer literate, sorry guys. One of these buses has the same gauge cluster that my 1990's bus had. Would that be a way to better date the bus by chance? Thanks. Bob.

Edited by - Fathertime1968 on 12/20/2009 8:41:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fathertime1968

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2009 :  8:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys, it had no Dt badge, I'm thinking of another bus the district had a few years later that I liked a lot.

Edited by - Fathertime1968 on 12/20/2009 8:59:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2009 :  12:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing you had a 9.0L in that older bus a I'm sure it would be a spicer transmission. I have not seen an Eaton in a IH school bus but I could be wrong.

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000