Free School Bus Safety Resources
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  3:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For years some of you have made use of 2safeschools free photo library at Geocities. Yahoo is closing that host site in October.

A large sampling of photos and ads is now available free to use, including bus stop safety, bus fire, child post-check, bullying, hostage takeover and other bus safety related themes. You do not have to be a Facebook member to enter the photo library. Some videos have also been added to Facebook.

The samplings of my photos and other graphics have been made available under 'Creative Commons' public distribution (some rights reserved), which simply means they may not be sold without permission but can be downloaded and used free in school and transportation newsletters, training materials, memos, letters and on your website. The Facebook user name account is James Kraemer but will soon change to 2safeschools when a bug is worked out in the Facebook system.

Here's an example ad:

The current direct links are:

More free school bus safety ads on Facebook

Free 2safechools Library Photos - Updated July 05, 2011

You do not have to sign-up with Facebook to view and download these ads. Remember to credit www.2safeschools.org where not labeled on the image itself. You can remove the small logo but must then give credit for the photo.

Hope these resources are useful and thank you for helping keep kids safe. (jk)

Kraemer is a professional photographer, he became fed up with trying to locate free good quality photos for his industry articles and bus safety materials, decided to make his own and also make available a large sampling free for others to use. They are for school bus related educational use only, not for resale use without permission from 2safeschools.

Edited by - JK on 07/05/2011 2:30:11 PM

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  11:10:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Free 2009/2010 School Year Parents Letter and School Bus Safety Quiz Template

This free template is for use in schools and transportation departments to help promote school bus safety. Not for Resale use. Contact if release needed. You do not have to be a Facebook member to download this template.

PDF Template Download

Free school bus safety ads on Facebook

Images for your newsletters, letters, memos and training materials - Updated July 05, 2011

Link Updated:
Policy Development Sheet: – School Bus Code of Conduct - Click Here for Link

Edited by - JK on 07/05/2011 2:28:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2009 :  6:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Free Stop Bullying Form (PDF Template)

Download and print this free Stop Bullying form template for use in schools and transportation departments to help promote school bus safety. Not for Resale use. Contact if release needed. More forms and other resources availble from 2safeschools. For more information contact the 2safeschools Library Manager at (www.2safeschools.org)

PDF Template Download
Go to Top of Page

coolbusdriver
Top Member

Canada
1509 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  09:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks JK
I have used some of these in the past on my bus, they are great!
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2009 :  8:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Booklet Updated 07/01/2010.
'Death at the school bus stop' booklet

Critical read for school bus drivers, management and school board members. Free to distribute by email or website download. 'Death at the school bus stop' booklet now covers a wider variety of bus stop issues and intervention options. Includes violence issues and bullying interventions, abduction prevention, a letter to parents, a bus stop quiz, school bus related resources and more.

Updated Death at the school bus stop Booklet (pdf) - (This link changes when booklet updated.)

Edited by - JK on 07/02/2010 04:57:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Davidrte9

United States
98 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  3:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need something to convince my kids why it is importatnt to sit properly in the bus seat. When I yell (not really yell but I do ask them politely at first) at them or write them up,it is not that I am trying to be mean as some have accused me of, I am just trying to keep them alive.

I had one parent tell me "I was mean and ugly and God does not like ugly" just because I have had to write up her children up several times for standing up, sitting backwards and out in the aisle. We had a meeting with her but she ended up walking out because we could just not convince her.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2009 :  6:54:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A double whammy - defiant child and also an arrogant parent. The response is generally the same for both.

Regardless and Nevertheless. Keep on track with these stem responses pointing back to following the bus driver's directions as the primary issue, not necessarily the violation itself. Keep the focus on following directions the main issue.

Parent: I think you're too picky, my child has my permission to sit anyway conformable.

Driver: Regardless, Johnny is expected to follow directions while under my temporary care, including to sit forward in his seat. Refusing to do so can result in loss of riding privileges.

Parent: That sounds like a threat.

Driver: Nevertheless, any child refusing to follow the bus driver's directions can expect loss of riding privileges.

You could try the parent responsibility issue.

With cameras on our school buses liability carriers now have the documentation available and the option to refuse claims where the child was injured or injured someone else as a result of refusing to follow the bus driver's directions.

Even when an event might be the bus driver's error, carriers are denying claims or reducing the percentage paid for student injuries that resulted due to not seated properly. Compartmentalization only works when properly seated forward in the seat. Not doing so is the same as unbuckled in a private vehicle crash which can result in denied or partly denied injury claims.

Crash experts back up these assertions:

''Students Not Properly Seated, Facing Forward within their Compartmentalization Envelope (CE) have no protection from compartmentalization engineering. "Any students not seated facing forward with bodies turned toward the aisle, toward their bus wall, or facing rearward against the direction of bus movement, or kneeling in the seat facing forward or to the rear, or standing and facing in any direction while the bus is moving or other improper seating positions—all these students are outside their CE." ~ By Dr. Ray Turner, School Bus Accident Reconstruction

Included in the National Association of State Directors of Pupil Transportation Services latest position paper titled "School Bus Seating Capacity" is this conclusion: ''All children riding in buses should be properly and safely seated facing forward; and the seat should allow for the child to be seated completely within the seating compartment. Also, it concluded states should establish guidelines for determining "in use" capacity of school buses and states should enact legislation to prohibit standees during regular operation of the school bus.

You could mention the child's refusal to sit properly has been documented and is available to our carrier in the event an injury occurs to Johnny or his actions injure another student while processing this violation.

The point is you want to avoid the curricular arguing that can happen. Simply state the facts and keep stating the facts using 'Regardless' and 'Nevertheless' stem phrases.

A question or statement against your effort is made - answer with Regardless, ... or Nevertheless, ... .

Parent: You are mean and ugly and God does not like ugly.

Driver: Regardless, for Johnny to continue the privilege of riding the buses he is expected to follow the bus driver's directions. (jk)

After a car collided with her bus Columbus High School student Jessie doesn’t take a safe trip home for granted. She still recounts the things she did wrong that day. “Lot of things, I shouldn’t have been sitting sideways, should have been paying more attention,” she said in an interview a few days after the school bus she was riding crashed resulting in serious injuries that doctors said could have been reduced had she been sitting properly, and virtually eliminated had she been wearing a seat belt. ~ Columbus News, Clark Powell reporting at Columbus Children’s Hospital (now Nationwide Children's Hospital), 2006 MediaSource.com, Dublin, Ohio.

Edited by - JK on 11/01/2009 08:53:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Davidrte9

United States
98 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  04:31:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hanks JK. That was pretty much the way the meeting was going. We (meaning the Supt. of schools, the TD and myself) were using the safety argument but she is one of these parents who is a "buddy" to all the kids on the block. They all gather at her house for gatherings of a questionable nature (I will not go there) so of coarse any adult who tries to disipline her children is "mean and ugly". If you do not have a defense you attack. This is what her(the Parent) game is.

I know she will be going to the Board next but I think the result will probably be the same there. Our Board is a pretty good group of responsible people who will not fall for this game.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2009 :  07:00:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
<<Thanks JK. That was pretty much the way the meeting was going. We (meaning the Supt. of schools, the TD and myself) were using the safety argument but she is one of these parents who is a "buddy" to all the kids on the block. They all gather at her house for gatherings of a questionable nature (I will not go there) so of coarse any adult who tries to disipline her children is "mean and ugly". If you do not have a defense you attack. This is what her(the Parent) game is.

Regardless, ...

(jk)

Edited by - JK on 11/01/2009 08:57:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  7:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No name-calling week Jamuary 25-29, 2010

According to the About section on the No Name-Calling website, “No Name-Calling Week was inspired by a young adult novel entitled "The Misfits" by popular author, James Howe.”

The project seeks to focus national attention on the problem of name-calling in schools, and to provide students and educators with the tools and inspiration to launch an on-going dialogue about ways to eliminate name-calling in their communities.”

The site offers resources like free lesson plans for elementary, middle, and high school levels and an optional video to purchase.

Lesson plans and more information at this website.

Click Here for More Resources

2safeschools Archieved "Words Hurt" Ad Review
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  11:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Report: 2009 school bus related deaths

The 2009 2safeschools sampling of school bus related deaths is now available to school bus safety instructors, trainers and other interests. It is a useful document when wanting a quick reference to deaths while discussing bus stop safety and when looking at updating school bus safety policies. The descriptions include some detail of each event and a photo of the victim where available. The free report is in pdf format and can be printed for distribution. The template can also be added to Web pages for visitor downloads without any fee paid to 2safeschools. I hope the report is of use, and please remember that feedback is important to us when considering the usefulness of producing these reports and the time and money used to produce them. (jk)

IN LOVING MEMORY 2009
Go to Top of Page

sueG

3 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  4:02:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit sueG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hear that Seon Mobile Video DVR's have issues, i.e. the software to view video does not work properly, plus reliability issues with the equipment. Anyone else have problems. Plus I have a mixed fleet of their DVR's and they all have different software which is a real pain
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  09:38:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sueG

I hear that Seon Mobile Video DVR's have issues, i.e. the software to view video does not work properly, plus reliability issues with the equipment. Anyone else have problems. Plus I have a mixed fleet of their DVR's and they all have different software which is a real pain

You may have inadvertently posted in this thread. This may be the thread you want:

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20750

Please delete your post in this thread, as it does not fit here.

Thanks, (jk)
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  12:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bullied To Death - The Tragedy of Phoebe Prince

The suicide of 15-year-old Phoebe Prince has rocked the Massachusetts town of South Hadley and shined a spotlight on the increasing problem of school bullying. Police say nine students have been charged in what is described as a months-long campaign of bullying that allegedly led to her death in January. Reports say the teen, who recently relocated from Ireland, was subjected to a torturous day of verbal harassment and physical abuse in front of students and faculty before she took her own life. Young people do not have to suffer in silence at the hands of bullies.

The link takes you to a download page for the MS Word (3.77mb .doc file) file: Bullied To Death - The Tragedy of Phoebe Prince. A video is imbedded in the document. This document can be sent to others as an email attachment or offered for download at your website.

Note: Our scan shows the file is virus free. Scan file after download if you do not trust the source of the file.

Alleged bullies of Phoebe Prince and what they are being charged with:

Sean Mulveyhill, 17: Statutory rape, violation of civil rights, criminal harassment (with bodily injury resulting), criminal harassment, disturbance of a school assembly

Kayla Narey, 17: Violation of civil rights (with bodily injury resulting), criminal harassment, disturbance of a school assembly

Austin Renaud, 18: Statutory rape

Ashley, Longe, 16: Violation of civil rights (with bodily injury resulting)

Flannery Mullins, 16: Violation of civil rights (with bodily injury resulting), stalking

Sharon Chanon Velazquez, 16: Violation of civil rights (with bodily injury resulting), stalking

Three other girls face delinquency charges; names have not been released.

Bullied To Death - The Tragedy of Phoebe Prince.

This thread is intended for school bus safety files and links to other bus safety resources. Please post comments in the Hostile Workplace Thread or in the 'Bullied To Death' Breaking News thread. ~ Thanks.

Edited by - JK on 07/15/2010 1:26:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  5:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fast Track: Stopping bullying on the school buses

Summer break will end, then school begins a fresh and with a new opportunity to end bullying on the school buses.

This 2safeschools Fast Track presentation looks at the issues and provides some remedies that can quickly reduce violence on the buses. This presentation's strategies work well where gangs or intense violence has first been remedied usually with law enforcement involvement. The presentation is available free for self study and also may be used to present this issue in classes and to school boards. Includes a class handout below.

NEW Stop Bullying on the School Bus Introduction video - For students and staff.

Stopping bullying on the school buses PDF Download - After downloaded and saved to a file this presentation can be opened in Adobe Reader. Set to Full Screen view and use mouse clicks to navigate the presentation forward and backward. Key Esc to exit the presentation.

School Bus Bullying Hand Out Download.

Edited by - JK on 09/17/2010 11:56:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  1:53:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even 'Free' needs a good editor

When in school myself was part of an education experiment that excluded phonics and traditional spelling skills. Didn't work out very well for my classmates and myself. We were given a passing grade and sent forward without teaching us the traditional skills. None of us in that class can spell and most of us have trouble with the mechanics of writing. We laugh about that when getting together at class reunions. Myself, write in abundance anyway and regardless of the distractions the errors might cause.

Some of my brochures, booklets and class materials have been edited by excellent professionals in the business. The remaining materials can be riddled with typos and mechanical errors that can distract from the content.

Much of what I put out is free to use, the revenues from my works are sparse as a result. On occasion an editor or otherwise excellent writer offers to edit something of mine - sometimes for credit in the work and sometimes requesting to remain an anonymous editor.

Are you one of those sorts? If so, drop me a note for an edit file on a brochure, booklet or class materials that you might like to edit. Click on the "Email Poster" icon in the post bar at the top of this post, or use the contact link at this Website.

Cheers, and Thank You for helping keep kids safe. (jk)

Edited by - JK on 10/01/2010 7:31:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2011 :  08:12:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Report: 2010 school bus related deaths - updated Oct 5, 2011

The 2010 2safeschools sampling of school bus related deaths is updated and now available to school bus safety instructors, trainers and other interests. It is a useful document when wanting a quick reference to deaths while discussing bus stop safety and when looking at updating school bus safety policies. The descriptions include some detail of each event, a photo of the victim and a Memory Page where found by 2safeschools members or visitors to our websites. The free report is in pdf format and can be printed for distribution. The template can also be added to Web pages for visitor downloads without any fee paid to 2safeschools. I hope the report is of use, and please remember that feedback is important to us when considering the usefulness of producing these reports and the time and money used to produce them. (jk)

IN LOVING MEMORY 2010
School Bus Related Deaths, (Updated October 05, 2011)

Featured 2010 Memory Video
Click here for video. (More memory pages included in the report download above.)

Edited by - JK on 10/05/2011 03:50:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

linhely

1 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  12:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit linhely's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I need something to convince my kids why it is importatnt to sit properly in the bus seat. When I yell (not really yell but I do ask them politely at first) at them or write them up,it is not that I am trying to be mean as some have accused me of, I am just trying to keep them alive.

[url=http://office2007pro.sosblogs.com/The-first-blog-b1/New-Chosen-Of-Office-2007-b1-p2.htm]New Chosen Of Office 2007[/url][url=http://microsoftoffice2007pro.posterous.com/newly-features-of-microsoft-office-2007]Microsoft Office 2007[/url]
[url=http://www.bibi44.info/read_blog/2104/set-passwords-on-microsoft-office-2007]Office 2007[/url]

Edited by - linhely on 07/26/2011 12:12:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

BluebirdFreightliner

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2011 :  07:01:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit BluebirdFreightliner's Homepage  Send BluebirdFreightliner an AOL message  Reply with Quote
we need to use those at our school!

with Bluebird, ya get alot of bang for your buck.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2011 :  04:30:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New Google blog soon expected to take on a life of its own

Oh Boy ... this is going to be an adventure. I have more time now that I'm retired to dedicate additional effort toward helping keep kids safe.

The new Google Blog titled, The School Bus, will go forward in an adventure together confronting the politics, political correctness, the mollycoddling, indifference, the hostile treatment of school bus drivers and also parents, even the maltreatment of transportation mangers and school officials where discovered ... and onward into risk territory addressing some of the most sensitive issues in the school bus industry.

The purpose of the blog is not to attack or embarrass industry indifference or child neglect where that seems apparent, but to inform for the purpose of having rational and effective discussions in meetings and training events, and with presenting informed dialog to administrations and school boards.

In addition to my articles, also expect to read good stuff from guest writers covering all sorts of issues with proposed remedies, and with additional content and proposed remedies from blog members, and also links to additional resources.

The School Bus blog is intended to be a rational action provoking adventure, not a mob mentality acting out their frustrations, perhaps sometimes rather concise, terse disagreement over a message may happen, but personal attacks toward fellow commenters will not be tolerated.

My hope is that what you read in my articles, and from invited contributors, and also the resulting participants comments is helpful to you in the effort to help keep kids safe. That's the goal.

Please visit the blog and become a member. Your comments and ideas are needed and appreciated. (jk)

Link to 'The School Bus' blog- First article: No working video camera on your school bus?

Edited by - JK on 10/10/2011 12:40:38 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000