Unemployment over Christmas & Easter Break
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TallyHo

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2001 :  10:08:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why shouldn't School Bus Drivers who drive for Private Companys get Unemployment Compensation over the Christmas and Easter Breaks. We don't just do school runs we do alot more. I have also collected Unemployment Compensation during Christmas and Easter for 20 years. They only started to deny us in 1997. When Vancon fought a driver who filed against them. There are at least 20 or more drivers who have gotten it for many years just at my terminal.

I have just been in a fight with the State of Illinois over this. I won. We went all the way to the Supreme Court. Now the State is still fighting the drivers who go and file. So these drivers have to go through the appeals process. If everybody fights for their rights and don't let them bully us, we will win.
I am now trying to amend the Statute that hampers us from getting it without a fight. Any Illinois School Bus Driver who drives for a Private Co. and wants to recieve Unemployment Comp. over these days please write your State Senators and State Representitives and ask them to help us amend the statute. This is under Section
500(C)(2) If we stick together we can win. I did and I am only one person. Imagine if there were hundreds of us.
The lady at Unempl. told me I was known in every Employment office in the state. This is good. Now you can say you heard from me to.
We do a lot more than just drive for the schools. We do charters, some of us train. Some of us haul for more than one school so if one school is out we might be able to haul for another school, or do charters for another school. Maybe a private party might need a bus so they contract your company to use the bus. Maybe for a family reunion or a ski trip, or a canoe trip. Or maybe to the River Boat. Maybe a large company needs you to shuttle their employees to another location to do their work. There are numerous things we have been called for. And when there is no work for us it is because our company has a lack of work NOT because we are out of school. Please help me help you fight for your rights.
Liza
COME ON NOW I KNOW THERE ARE MORE PEOPLE OUT THERE WITH OPINONS. HOW ABOUT THE FIRST STUDENT DRIVERS????
DON'T BE SHY STEP ON UP AND STATE YOUR OPINON. THAT IS WHAT THIS PAGE IS ALL ABOUT. SO INSTEAD OF JUST READING PUT YOUR 2 CENTS IN. LIZA

Liza

Edited by - TallyHo on 01/08/2001 5:15:48 PM

Edited by - TallyHo on 01/18/2001 9:37:50 PM

buswench

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2001 :  10:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Liza,

In line one of your post, you said that you were a school bus driver. The job that you described was a charter driver. The only thing that will happen, is that drivers in Illinois will then be hired for one or the other. Many drivers that now have the option of bidding on a charter, will not have that option later. This will reduce the amount of unemployment claims to the contractor. My school bus drivers like the option of being charter drivers on the weekends and after school. They might not like it as much if they are hired in one category or the other.
Go to Top of Page

A Bus Driver

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2001 :  07:27:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In TX school
bus drivers who work
for contractors do get to file for
unemployment. Unlike school
district drivers we are not paid
year round and would absolutely not
make it if we were only paid 8-9
months of the year.
Go to Top of Page

Jackie

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2001 :  4:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Iowa, I have only heard of one person getting unemployment over Christmas, Spring break, or summer break. I work for a school district, but we are not paid year round. It is a per route fee or per hour fee only. Always have to find another job over summer and just eat it for the other breaks during the school year. It would seem that some sort of compromise could be reached. Is one of the reasons why we are getting harder and harder to hire and keep.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000