Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 ford/new holland 6.6 and 7.8 diesels
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ameristar2

United States
17 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  4:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit ameristar2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alright, got another info request concerning the Brazilian Ford diesels. What are the good points/bad points of these engines. I know that they are parent bore style like the B series Cummins, and I talked to one guy that modded his pump slightly and it really woke the engine up. But I am more concerned with what the defects, if any, are associated with this engine.

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  7:09:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To my knowledge, these are excellent runners. I've seen them with 300,000+ running perfectly with no excessive smoke! (no rebuild of course) They will go until the bus body or transmission fails. I believe these are derived from a New Holland tractor engine, but they are quite tough engines. They aren't particularly fast or good on fuel though. They do have a turbo which helps the power out a bit. I've been told the later models with aftercoolers were a little faster. I'm not really sure, but I think these draw their peak torque at a much lower rpm than comparable diesels (as well as the peak hp). They will run up to around 3,000 rpms or so (at least the 6.6 will). Don't know a whole lot else about these engines. Never heard a bad thing about them other than slow and hard to get parts for.
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2009 :  8:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a 1988 6.6 that outlasted the Wayne bus body, good thing as we had a 7.8 that did not make 100,000 miles, so we swapped the 6.6 in and finished out the 91 Thomas service life. Would have kept it around a while longer had it not been for Lucas Girling brakes.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2009 :  8:35:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a neighbor that runs a tank truck service out here in the oil field. He loves those engines and would still have one if it were not for his habit of keeping newer equipment around.

I don't know a person out there that likes the Lucas/ Girling brakes though.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  06:14:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had three of the 6.6 units in dump trucks and two of the 7.8 units in Box type trucks and they all gave good service, but parts were an issue near the end of their 9-10 year life cycle.

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  08:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good engines, as everyone said they are slow but durable.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

YellowBox
Advanced Member

Puerto Rico (USA)
254 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  11:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YESTERDAY I WAS AT AN AUTO AND SOUND SHOW, IN WICH THEY OPENED A CLASS FOR SCHOOL BUS COMPETITION. (PICTURES SOON TO BE POSTED HERE)

ONE OF MY FRIENDS BROUGHT HIS 90'S FORD B700 /BLUE BIRD THAT IS POWERED BY THAT "BRAZILIAN FORD 6.6 ENGINE" I DO NOT KNOW WHY, BUT WE CALL THIS ENGINES HERE "FORDSON" OR IS IT "FORSON"????, NEVER MIND THAT....

THEY TOLD ME THAT THOSE ENGINES ARE VERY STOUT AND THEY WILL CHOOSE THEM OVER AND OVER AGAINST THE DT360 /466 ENGINES.

I REALLY LIKE THEM, PRETTY GOOD AND WITH SOME MODS THE POWER CAN WAKE UP. VERY GOOD PAIRED WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS (MY FRIEND'S FORD B700 /BLUE BIRD HAS A 13 SPEED TRANSMISION!!!!!)

PARTS ARE HARD TO FIND, SO WE MIGHT LOOK IN OUR LOCAL "NEW HOLLAND" EQUIPMENT DEALER TO SEE IF THEY STILL CARRY PARTS FOR THIS ENGINE.

AND YES...THOSE ENGINES OUTLAST THE BUSS BODY....JUST TRANSPLANTED ONE HERE FROM A OLD FORD WAYNE ONTO AN 1995 FORD /THOMAS

Go to Top of Page

YellowBox
Advanced Member

Puerto Rico (USA)
254 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  11:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  2:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about where you are but here the equipment dealer carries parts for their products that are 40, 50, or more years old.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  6:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yellowbox, I always thought it would be cool to have a mint condition 98 ford with the 6.6! How hard is it to get one of those in the newer style chassis?
Go to Top of Page

nevrenufhp

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2009 :  6:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit nevrenufhp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As in, a 6.6 in a Super Duty (F250-450) chassis?

The work truck: 1994 IH 4900, DTA466 with a few mods, MT653, Voith retarder.
Project:99 F250 SD DT466/AT545 swap
commuter:67 F100, 300, 4spd
my Fuel rate site:
http://www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  03:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I meant in a bus chassis. 98 was the last year of the Ford bus chassis. All you could get then was the Cummins.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2009 :  05:34:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why, International 9.0, why?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  03:56:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those were great engines. Perhaps a 7.8 would be better for power. Nice clattery ping slowly climbing a hill. Nothing beats that.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  05:21:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I mean is, why would you want a mint condition school bus of that era? I can see wanting on from the 40s or earlier but after that they are just ugly and utilitarian.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  07:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the early squared off look, they look more like a Truck. First year of the tilt hoods.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  07:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone ever done this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RMkzDqorVk

Or this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPmlw4O_oFo

Me neither

OK one more you gotta see! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiJ2xn_c7cQ

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 05/20/2009 07:52:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2009 :  4:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually prefer the looks of the 95+ Fords. I believe the squared off hoods started in 1980. We used to have some 79 models with the older style hoods on them. I'm thinking somewhere near the year 84 they started using the oval instead of the word "FORD" on the front of the grill. I didn't mean perfect condition. I used the word "mint" loosely to indicate that I would like to own one in decent condition. One with somewhat shiny paint and not totally ripped to shreds by the kids. One day the bus would have a little value as this was the last year for a full size ford. Although that might take 30 or 40 years, hehe.
Go to Top of Page

YellowBox
Advanced Member

Puerto Rico (USA)
254 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  08:52:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by International-9.0

Yellowbox, I always thought it would be cool to have a mint condition 98 ford with the 6.6! How hard is it to get one of those in the newer style chassis?

Well.. the BUS indeed is a 1994 FORD B700 wich came with the "square hood"Hood was replaced for the latest version (Post 1995)

I think "FORD SCHOOL BUS CHASSIS" did not changed that much year after year. I really like them, but one of my opinions is that their Instrument Panel should have to evolve over the years. That style was carried from the 70's to the 90's.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  10:14:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wile were talking about Ford not changing anything. What about that terible Lucas/ Girling brake set up. Yukk!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2009 :  11:16:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Wile were talking about Ford not changing anything. What about that terible Lucas/ Girling brake set up. Yukk!

Yup and we are experts fixing them by now. When you getem' right they are great.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000