Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

whe8913
Advanced Member

United States
301 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  08:16:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm curious to know how the MaxxForce 7 engines are performing. Anyone with these engines in operation, please chime in!

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  7:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whe8913

I'm curious to know how the MaxxForce 7 engines are performing. Anyone with these engines in operation, please chime in!

Apparently quiet performers in more ways than one
We will be getting our first one in July.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.

Edited by - origcharger on 03/06/2009 7:23:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nick
Advanced Member

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  05:02:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Nick an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There was a post some time ago about fuel in oil on MaxxForce products (DT and 7 specifically) but it seems like the problem was determined. A clogged DOC led to excessive regens and oil dilution. Otherwise it has been pretty quiet WRT the MF engines, at least relative to the cries of agony over the VT365...

IC the future, and it is bright.
Go to Top of Page

nbates723

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  06:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit nbates723's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had one that burned a hole in a piston at about 2500 miles. After that, this bus was nothing but problems. However, that was about a year ago, so it could have been an early production flaw. Also, this bus was the only one out of 13 with any problems, so it may have been the monday or friday bus.

Edited by - nbates723 on 03/08/2009 06:04:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

ICrider

United States
127 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  07:23:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit ICrider's Homepage  Click to see ICrider's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Our M7s rock,none of them have EVER been out of service since we got them in October.
Go to Top of Page

lonebustech

United States
79 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  06:01:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our 05-08 VT365 are nothing but trouble (turbo and injectors).
The09 Maxxforce 7 are better but still having turbo and injector problems just not as off tin, and then there is still the electrical gremlins

22 Buses,18 support vehicles,Grounds equip, buffers and vacuums for 9 campuses. 1 Tech. and 2 bays ain't life grand
Go to Top of Page

Dvorak

United States
95 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  04:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard the new Maxxforce engines with 2010 emissions have a tendancy to overheat. Does anyone have any knowledge about this yet?
Go to Top of Page

Nick
Advanced Member

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  09:27:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Nick an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dvorak

I've heard the new Maxxforce engines with 2010 emissions have a tendancy to overheat. Does anyone have any knowledge about this yet?

I wasn't aware that any of the EPA 2010 MaxxForce engines were out there apart from a few test engines.

IC the future, and it is bright.
Go to Top of Page

bcressey

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  5:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit bcressey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is A LOT of EGR...the 2010 IH pictures I have seen looked like overheating would be a real possibility.
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  5:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bcressey

There is A LOT of EGR...the 2010 IH pictures I have seen looked like overheating would be a real possibility.

What pictures?

According to International;

"Q: Will engine operating temperatures be dangerously high with MaxxForce™ Advanced EGR 2010 system?

A: Not at all. Cooling capacity will be sized to keep operating temperatures at optimum levels, just like today. Cooling loads have increased over the years with power increases, air-conditioning, and stringent emissions regulations. Cooling capacity has always kept pace and will continue to do so."

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.

Edited by - origcharger on 03/12/2009 1:44:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

BusAce12

United States
24 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  6:13:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drive a bus that has a MaxxForce DT engine..and I love it..has great power and sounds mean...although I seem to have a friday/monday bus and so it does have its issues..its a pleasure to drive!

CrazyAce
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  04:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been driving and repairing buses for 35 years now and the IC bus we have now I believe is the best bus I have ever driven. We don't do alot of local driving almost everthing is at least 100 miles per trip. We have not had any isses at all with this bus other than A/C. I still have a problem with the door switches on the steering wheel. Some places I have to stop at the steering wheel ends up upside down and I have to look to see which button to push.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  08:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nick

quote:
Originally posted by Dvorak

I wasn't aware that any of the EPA 2010 MaxxForce engines were out there apart from a few test engines.

International has been using EGR since the 2007 Maxxforce came out. The 2010 EGR is not out yet.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  09:24:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Also I forgot the 05s and 06 engines had an EGR system
Go to Top of Page

Spencer

United States
188 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  11:37:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well all the Maxxforce's that I have ridden here have been great and way better than anything else that FS has the Maxxforces seem to be doing really well.

New School Bus Site:
www.schoolbuslover.smfnew.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2009 :  08:36:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The MF 7s and even DTs have been rock solid except for the occasional hardware defect. Injectors can lock open on the 7s if DIRT is allowed into the CR fuel system (as will ALL CR diesel systes) and that definatley can ventilate a piston quick.

EGR was introduced in the '02 VT365 and the '04 DTs. Aside form some EGR cooler issues with the VTs and the rare one with the DTs the EGR system has essentially been bullet-proof and should continue to get even better.

The 2010 engines shown at various public events and press releases show some changes to accomodate the increased EGR rates for 2010 but nothing dramatic. The cooling package gets better each year and the overheating risk sounds like competitive bashing more than anything else.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  08:29:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
M7 engine has some fuel dilution problems. I just sent one to the dealer 10 qts overfull. Yes they are trying to fix the problem, Have they addressed it yet, No they haven't. We have been working with the engine group and it looks like the fix for our applications may be an open vent tube, instead of the CCV. The turbo wheels are coking up from oil vapor in the CCV. Yes they are trying to figure the regen/fuel ratio deal out also. For the most part this engine is head and shoulders above the VT365. The VT365 is the worst engine in our fleet. If you are using this in city you may want to adjust your oil change intervals, we have dropped ours to 6000 miles for all our V8 engines.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2009 :  09:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sanbrutay, have you experimented with changing the DOC's on any of them? That is what has fixed 5 of my 10 MaxxforceDT's. I know it sounds goofy but it must have to do with the in cylinder dosing. We always changed the oil in our VT365's at 5,000 miles, but the engine is still a turd. We got our of our uptime work done before the winter and it helped a lot. All of my 05 and 06 VT's have had new injectors at least once. 19 of my 22 have had the split cap injectors installed and those have down well so far.
Go to Top of Page

bcressey

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  4:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit bcressey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
guess i don't know anything. we'll see when IH starts running SCR when those credits expire.
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  5:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

guess i don't know anything. we'll see when IH starts running SCR when those credits expire.

Or maybe the others will see the light and dump the SCR crutch.

Picture, specs. etc. of the 2010 MaxxForce DT are now available at;
http://www.maxxforce.com/Application/2010/Category/2010_Class_6-7/Product/2010_MaxxForce_DT

Edited by - origcharger on 03/24/2009 7:23:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

bcressey

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  10:57:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit bcressey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
its never dull and it'll change 10 times before anyone is for sure, that you can count on

quote:
Originally posted by origcharger

quote:

Or maybe the others will see the light and dump the SCR crutch.

Picture, specs. etc. of the 2010 MaxxForce DT are now available at;
http://www.maxxforce.com/Application/2010/Category/2010_Class_6-7/Product/2010_MaxxForce_DT

Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  11:35:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bassman

Sanbrutay, have you experimented with changing the DOC's on any of them? That is what has fixed 5 of my 10 MaxxforceDT's. I know it sounds goofy but it must have to do with the in cylinder dosing. We always changed the oil in our VT365's at 5,000 miles, but the engine is still a turd. We got our of our uptime work done before the winter and it helped a lot. All of my 05 and 06 VT's have had new injectors at least once. 19 of my 22 have had the split cap injectors installed and those have down well so far.

you are changing Doc's? or the Dealer?

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  6:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, even the EU manufacturers are giving up on SCR in favor of EGR. It's not an overnight affair, but they are reducing the number of SCR products year-on-year and choosing an all EGR solution as a replacement.

Also, Navistar continues to EARN credits on most product lines, so I don't see them running out of them any time soon.

Why increase your CMP and reduce your load capacity (revenue) at the same time with SCR when you can meet the regs w/o it?

Go to Top of Page

sbfreader

153 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  04:19:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Actually, even the EU manufacturers are giving up on SCR in favor of EGR.

That is simply not the case. 2 European manufacturers, MAN and Scania, have introduced EGR engines that are compliant with Euro V regulations. Euro V is a standard roughly equivalent to the current US EPA07 standards. The next round of standards is Euro VI. Euro VI will bring European and US standards (EPA '10) into rough parity. Most manufacturers of engines for the NAFTA region and in Europe have stated that a combination of SCR and EGR is the path they will take to reach Euro VI requirements. Even MAN and Scania have stated that this will be their likely choice for Euro VI.

That combination of SCR and EGR is exactly what 90+% of engines manufactured for the NAFTA market for classes 6, 7, and 8 vehicles will be using beginning January 1, 2010.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  04:30:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sambrutay, our dealer replaced the DOC's under warranty. One of the higher level techs at tech central recommended the first one as a trial...then after it worked, and the silly suggestions coming off tech central did nothing to fix the problem in subsequent cases, our dealer requested specific permission to change the DOC's citing the first success and received permission in each case (often after several weeks of run around). I am hesitant to publish the tech's name on here. I have been trying to pursue a more comprehensive answer from people at IH corporate but the lack of responsiveness has been astounding.

Mod, you gotta lay off the IH Koolaid a little!
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  05:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sbfreader

quote:
Actually, even the EU manufacturers are giving up on SCR in favor of EGR.

That is simply not the case. 2 European manufacturers, MAN and Scania, have introduced EGR engines that are compliant with Euro V regulations. Euro V is a standard roughly equivalent to the current US EPA07 standards. The next round of standards is Euro VI. Euro VI will bring European and US standards (EPA '10) into rough parity. Most manufacturers of engines for the NAFTA region and in Europe have stated that a combination of SCR and EGR is the path they will take to reach Euro VI requirements. Even MAN and Scania have stated that this will be their likely choice for Euro VI.

That combination of SCR and EGR is exactly what 90+% of engines manufactured for the NAFTA market for classes 6, 7, and 8 vehicles will be using beginning January 1, 2010.

According to Mann and Scania they are going away from urea/SCR at the NEXT emission change, would that not be Euro Vl?

"In September 2008 at the 62nd International Automobile Show in Hanover, Germany, two
major European companies, MAN and Scania, announced they will offer EGR-only solutions
for the next round of European emissions standards."

Go to Top of Page

sbfreader

153 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  07:59:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, Euro V goes into effect this year, 2009. Euro VI comes in 2012. However, Europe manages their emissions changes differently than in the US. Because they have verying taxes and tolls for road use, they give incentives (like reduced tolls) to carriers that adopt standards ahead of time. So right now, even though Euro IV is the current standard, you have a fairly large population of Euro V compliant vehicles because of that financial incentive. In fact, MAN and Scania brought SCR Euro V products to market early for just those reasons. Their EGR offerings are targeted offerings based on a number of factors in the marketplace. In fact, they will continue to offer SCR and EGR packages for Euro V. It's not a matter of choosing one over the other in their marketplace.

quote:
In October, Euro 5 emission standards go into effect for EU (European Union) countries, although thanks to incentives for early compliance such as road toll reductions in Germany and tax benefits in Denmark, there are already thousands of Euro 5 compliant vehicles on the road. Most manufacturers have relied exclusively upon SCR to meet Euro 4 and Euro 5 limits for NOx and particulates, including DAF, Iveco, Mercedes Benz, Renault and Volvo.

For 2010 in the U.S., however, SCR alone won’t be enough to get the emissions reduction job done. U.S. standards are stricter than European standards and will remain so until 2012 when Euro 6 will bring European standards much closer to the U.S. 2010 limits (and to Japan’s 2009 standards).

“In Europe, they can use just SCR now because the standards are not as severe as they are in the U.S.,” said Gary M. Parsons, global OEM and industry liaison manager for Chevron Ornite Company LLC. “SCR systems are 80% to 90% efficient at dropping down NOx, so they can let a low level of particulates and a fairly high level of NOx out of the engine into the exhaust stream and then use SCR after-treatment to knock down the NOx to required levels.

“By Euro 6, however, that won’t be the case anymore,” he added. “They won’t be able to get all the way with SCR alone either. It will very likely cost a lot to go from Euro 5 to Euro 6, just as it did to achieve the 2007 emissions standards in the U.S. Road toll reductions and other incentives are not apt to be enough to offset the price difference for Euro 6 trucks, so Europe may experience a pre-buy in 2011.”

The key here is what direction the US and Europe took a years ago on emissions targets. Europe went after Particulate Matter earlier and the best way to deal with PM is not produce it. EGR tends to produce high PM. Therefore, the Europeans went SCR to deal with their modest NOx reductions. The US went the other direction and tackled NOx levels first but they lowered PM emissions in 2007. EPA07 had a small NOx component and EGR was increased to deal with that. The real effort in '07 was reduced PM. This is why Particulate filters were added in '07. EPA10 lowers NOx even further (83% reduction) so SCR has been added to the existing EGR for most manufacturers. This way they can deal with PM and NOx by balancing. Euro VI does the same thing and it is expected that European manufacturers will use a combo of EGR and SCR to comply with Euro VI. Which is exactly where the majority of U.S. manufacturers find themselves in 2010.

Read up on it. There are plenty of sources if you don't believe me.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  3:35:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the EU fuel is FAR more dear than it is in "the states" so even a small bettermet in fuel efficiency has operational advantages there. That is not even close to the case in the USA.

M.A.N. has stated that it intends to drop SCR/DEF going forward because the price is too volitle. That does not mean they WILL, but they want to.

Low NOx and Low PM emissions are a teeter-todder w/o aftertreatment. The question is, which do you treat? You have three choices:
1) After-Treat NOx: Better fuel mileage, more weight, more complexity, same or increased CPM plus you still have the DPF/DOC and "doser" for them.
2) After-Treat (catch and reduce) PM: Uses existing components required to meet earlier standards, decreases NOx formation, negative mileage impact but CPM is stable.
3) After-Treat BOTH PM & NOx: This is what *most* strategies revolve around, essentially balancing NOx and PM production in-cylinder and treating the emissions afterwards. Adds a LOT of weight, complexity and additional fluids. A short-term solution unless a source for low-cost urea is found (unlikely or the Ag industry would have found it).

Go to Top of Page

bcressey

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  6:10:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit bcressey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are exactly right. Not a lot of people are reading into V and VI correctly. The EGR folks only give out part of the info when they tell everyone what Mann and Scania are doing for V. It sounds like they may need to be back to SCR with EGR for VI which is what is equivalent to EPA 2010 and is why everyone except IH will be there soon. Once IH's credits are gone, I think they will be there too.

quote:

No, Euro V goes into effect this year, 2009. Euro VI comes in 2012. However, Europe manages their emissions changes differently than in the US. Because they have verying taxes and tolls for road use, they give incentives (like reduced tolls) to carriers that adopt standards ahead of time. So right now, even though Euro IV is the current standard, you have a fairly large population of Euro V compliant vehicles because of that financial incentive. In fact, MAN and Scania brought SCR Euro V products to market early for just those reasons. Their EGR offerings are targeted offerings based on a number of factors in the marketplace. In fact, they will continue to offer SCR and EGR packages for Euro V. It's not a matter of choosing one over the other in their marketplace.

quote:
In October, Euro 5 emission standards go into effect for EU (European Union) countries, although thanks to incentives for early compliance such as road toll reductions in Germany and tax benefits in Denmark, there are already thousands of Euro 5 compliant vehicles on the road. Most manufacturers have relied exclusively upon SCR to meet Euro 4 and Euro 5 limits for NOx and particulates, including DAF, Iveco, Mercedes Benz, Renault and Volvo.

For 2010 in the U.S., however, SCR alone won’t be enough to get the emissions reduction job done. U.S. standards are stricter than European standards and will remain so until 2012 when Euro 6 will bring European standards much closer to the U.S. 2010 limits (and to Japan’s 2009 standards).

“In Europe, they can use just SCR now because the standards are not as severe as they are in the U.S.,” said Gary M. Parsons, global OEM and industry liaison manager for Chevron Ornite Company LLC. “SCR systems are 80% to 90% efficient at dropping down NOx, so they can let a low level of particulates and a fairly high level of NOx out of the engine into the exhaust stream and then use SCR after-treatment to knock down the NOx to required levels.

“By Euro 6, however, that won’t be the case anymore,” he added. “They won’t be able to get all the way with SCR alone either. It will very likely cost a lot to go from Euro 5 to Euro 6, just as it did to achieve the 2007 emissions standards in the U.S. Road toll reductions and other incentives are not apt to be enough to offset the price difference for Euro 6 trucks, so Europe may experience a pre-buy in 2011.”

The key here is what direction the US and Europe took a years ago on emissions targets. Europe went after Particulate Matter earlier and the best way to deal with PM is not produce it. EGR tends to produce high PM. Therefore, the Europeans went SCR to deal with their modest NOx reductions. The US went the other direction and tackled NOx levels first but they lowered PM emissions in 2007. EPA07 had a small NOx component and EGR was increased to deal with that. The real effort in '07 was reduced PM. This is why Particulate filters were added in '07. EPA10 lowers NOx even further (83% reduction) so SCR has been added to the existing EGR for most manufacturers. This way they can deal with PM and NOx by balancing. Euro VI does the same thing and it is expected that European manufacturers will use a combo of EGR and SCR to comply with Euro VI. Which is exactly where the majority of U.S. manufacturers find themselves in 2010.

Read up on it. There are plenty of sources if you don't believe me.

Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  6:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pardon my thick headedness but if Mann and Scania "brought SCR Euro V products to market early" wouldn't their next emissions change in fact be Euro V1?
And making such an announcement at a September 2008 Europeon autoshow about an emission strategy for a 2009 standard that you already meet anyway seems a bit far fetched. Perhaps they are doing Euro V1 early also for the reasons you outlined above?

Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  7:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

You are exactly right. Not a lot of people are reading into V and VI correctly. The EGR folks only give out part of the info when they tell everyone what Mann and Scania are doing for V. It sounds like they may need to be back to SCR with EGR for VI which is what is equivalent to EPA 2010 and is why everyone except IH will be there soon. Once IH's credits are gone, I think they will be there too.

Navistar has CURRENT engines that meet 2010 sans DEF, why would they switch to it unless fuel goes to $7/gal and DEF comes down to under $7/gallon, neither of which are likely and DEF comming DOWN is almost impossible if you look at what happened in the EU.

Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2009 :  9:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a question... have any medium and heavy duty 2010 emission engines actually been certified for compliance yet? This goes for EGR and SCR. Both sides keep on yelling that the competition hasnt passed EPA bench tests, but there seems to be no real accurate info.

Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  03:18:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich

Here is a question... have any medium and heavy duty 2010 emission engines actually been certified for compliance yet? This goes for EGR and SCR. Both sides keep on yelling that the competition hasnt passed EPA bench tests, but there seems to be no real accurate info.

http://www.maxxforce.com/Application/2010

Certified? I don't know, they like to wait till the deadlines in case they want to make any changes. Lots of money, time and credibility on the line if the manufacturers don't know by now what their products are capable of doing.

Edited by - origcharger on 03/27/2009 03:20:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

sbfreader

153 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  05:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Pardon my thick headedness but if Mann and Scania "brought SCR Euro V products to market early" wouldn't their next emissions change in fact be Euro V1? And making such an announcement at a September 2008 Europeon autoshow about an emission strategy for a 2009 standard that you already meet anyway seems a bit far fetched. Perhaps they are doing Euro V1 early also for the reasons you outlined above?

First the quote you copied was from a Navistar Did You Know? sales flyer. So they've spun the "next round" statement to fit their perspective.

The following is a quote directly from MAN's press briefing:

"At the IAA 2008 in Hanover, MAN Nutzfahrzeuge is presenting new commercial vehicle engines that can dispense with AdBlue® additive to satisfy the tough Euro 5 emissions standard and the even stiffer, but as yet voluntary, EEV specification. These sophisticated common-rail engines are convincing in terms of high performance plus low fuel consumption. That makes MAN the sole commercial vehicle manufacturer in Europe offering Euro 5/EEV engines for lightweight, middleweight and heavyweight trucks that can manage without AdBlue® for full benefit from the handling and payload advantages.

This is another impressive demonstration of MAN competence in diesel engines. Right on time to mark the 150th birthday of Rudolf Diesel, who with the aid of MAN developed the engine named after him until it could go into series production, the new EGR engines for Euro 5 will be on show at the booth of the commercial vehicle manufacturer."

Here's a statement by their CEO:

"A very special highlight at the MAN show booth in hall 12 are our new EGR engines for Euro 5. Right on time for introduction, MAN fulfils its promise to its international clientele of meeting the strict standard without any additive and elaborate exhaust after-treatment. What pleases me in particular is that these engineering masterpieces not only better the exhaust standard, but also show such a high level of efficiency and performance in doing it. Faced with climbing prices for diesel, I'm sure this is good news for our customers."

Euro 5 is the "next round" because in 2008 it was still not in effect. They are largely silent on Euro VI at this point. There is not doubt that MAN is leading the EGR-only philosophy in Europe, however, it is also quite clear that they don't know that they can get there.

It is pretty simple where this is going. Navistar execs have been dropping hints recently that what they are banking on is that a NOx scrubbing technology will emerge in the next 2 - 3 years that will perform Selective Catalytic Reduction without the use of a Urea based solution. There are systems in the prototypes stages that do this. Eaton has one as do a few others. So they use credits till 2012 then introduce a non-urea catalyst at that point. IF, and that's the rub, one is available that is commercially viable.
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  09:28:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what is the?; "EEV specification."

Go to Top of Page

sbfreader

153 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  10:55:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EEV stands for Enhanced Environmentally friendly Vehicle. It is a "Euro V 1/2" so-to-speak. However, rather than deal with PM and NOx, it is more concerned with levels of Hydrocarbons (HC). It is not Euro VI and maintains Euro V levels of PM and NOx.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000