LED Lights
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Doug

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  11:15:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last few months I have been driving bus . I know poor guy :-( Well I have noticed other district buses that have the LED's and wondered if someone makes a kit that would retrofit my buses without to much trouble other than install and use . Is there special wires or relays ? thanks

Lightguy

United States
15 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  12:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes and no, their is not one number that will get you all of the lights. However we have several kits available that can populate the bus with lights. If you have any questions about it please contact me at bbarrington@weldoninc.com.
Go to Top of Page

LanHarjochee

1 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  7:22:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit LanHarjochee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As you say, does a bit of trouble!However, nor is it can not do! On it! Good luck!

Edited by - LanHarjochee on 05/04/2012 01:51:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  7:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have finally convinced the school business manager to spec the next bus with the LED package. It is a $1000 add on to the price.
I would imagine it would cost a lot more than that to convert a bus to LED.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 05/03/2012 7:45:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  10:31:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBTMech

I have finally convinced the school business manager to spec the next bus with the LED package. It is a $1000 add on to the price.
I would imagine it would cost a lot more than that to convert a bus to LED.

Does that include the warning lights for that price?
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  3:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Every exterior light except the headlights.

Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  4:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good price then. The warning lights themselves are usually a $7-800 option.

I think you'll be very happy going with the LED option. They have improved significantly over the past few years!
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  2:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the warning lights alone was $750. Add the rear stop, tail and turn for $195. For $1000 you get all the rest. Sounded like a no brainer to me.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2012 :  03:51:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got a good deal there!

Opened bids yesterday for my next bus(es).

Blue Bird: LED except warning-$802 LED warning-$536
Thomas: LED except warning-$680 LED warning-$582
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  03:28:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'm going to recommend the LED warning lights (probably not the rest just by virtue of the fact that a mix of at least three different brands are used to accomplish this, only one year warranty too...we can do it in-house later for less and get more!)

$536 option to add strobe effect LED warning, these are made by Soundoff. Does anybody have any info on these they would like to share, good or bad? Do they play nice with the LED compatible Doran monitor?
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  09:32:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

I think I'm going to recommend the LED warning lights (probably not the rest just by virtue of the fact that a mix of at least three different brands are used to accomplish this, only one year warranty too...we can do it in-house later for less and get more!)

$536 option to add strobe effect LED warning, these are made by Soundoff. Does anybody have any info on these they would like to share, good or bad? Do they play nice with the LED compatible Doran monitor?

you need spec them with a 5 year warranty.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  10:09:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too late now, but next time for sure.

That's the Blue Bird warranty. I'm thinking if I called Soundoff or Weldon and pushed the issue, they'd honor it.

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 05/10/2012 10:10:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

bbarr

22 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  1:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbarr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All Weldon LED lights have standard 5 year warranty. I know a couple of states that have written Sound Off out of the spec due to issues, North Carolina being one of them.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  4:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blue Bird only follows the warranty of the lighting companies, which have VERY strict rules concerning warranty. If the assemblies are not removed properly, they have a fit about it and usually refuse to warranty it.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Edited by - bluebirdvision on 05/14/2012 4:36:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  07:22:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Soundoff warrants LED warning assemblies for 5 years per their website. Blue Bird only warranties Soundoff LED warning lights for one year per the warranty paperwork submitted with my bids and the sales rep. So...

Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  08:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blue Bird at one point was using no name LED lights that looked like SoundOff but had no brand name on them. So perhaps they are using some sort of private label agreement that only gives a lousy warranty.

Patrick might just want to do these when they get to your place so you don't have to deal with manufacturer BS.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  09:14:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to know, I've noticed that the Weldon lights on the buses aren't really Weldons lately. I've got, in writing, that the warnings are Soundoff...if they show up and aren't, they WILL be in short order.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1325 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  10:13:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what is the advantage of converting i have some with conventional lights some with led dont have problems with the conventional and when the leds go bad they are no cheap just curious on y u would want to change yes i no they are brighter but other then that?????
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  10:42:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strobe effect of LED warning is my primary want. Illegal passing is a huge problem. People just don't notice the warning lights anymore it seems. Look to trash trucks and state highway trucks, when was the last time you saw a newer truck that didn't have LED strobes?

LED illumination is faster than incand, change just one over and have somebody press and release the brake pedal a few times while you watch...you can see the difference.

Lately my regular "Weldon" or China or Honduras or some other county specials are rotting apart in less than 5 years, lenses faded almost white/clear. I'm just ready to trade problems!
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1325 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  11:14:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good points people dint care about anything these days they live in there own world as they txt and drive etc. the strobe may work for a while then they will get ignored to
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  12:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen...in time they will learn to ignore em. I'd like to see some type of severe tire damage spike bar that drops down from the side of the bus :)
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  01:23:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to promote my own video, but looking at the LED vs. Incandescent here, I find it very difficult to take my focus off of the LED lights, they just grab attention. They offer a quicker, much more full looking light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XbbH6q4uNk

Edited by - Kodie on 05/16/2012 01:23:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Troy87

United States
52 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  1:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doran, Grote, Soundoff, Trucklite all sell LED lites that use existing wiring, no 'conversion' necessary. brake/tail, turn signal,...etc.
Go to Top of Page

bbarr

22 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2012 :  3:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit bbarr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troy87

Doran, Grote, Soundoff, Trucklite all sell LED lites that use existing wiring, no 'conversion' necessary. brake/tail, turn signal,...etc.

I think almost all of the LED lighting is that way. There are several things to consider when purchasing LED lights. Where the lights are made, types of material used, amount of heat sinking (LED HATES HEAT), light spread of the light.

Ask companies for test data on their lights and you will see a difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000