IC BUS REAR ENDS/tire wear
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  05:30:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all, just a quick question, on our 07- 09 ce buses we are having real bad tire wear. this is only on the inner dual, inner edge wear. because ic says it is only us having this problem, we have now become engineers(haha), and may have found the problem. the question is has anyone checked the squareness of the diff. WE HAVE!!. what we are finding is on a unloaded bus(72 pass) that we have lots of camber and toe-in.(on most units)..now the frame-alignment shop wants us to load a bus with 5000 lbs to take another measurement. ic is now listening to us and has requested we give them a bus for 30 days so there engineers can confirm this. please check yours...we get an average 24000-40000 km's then change tires. getting very expensive. we have noticed excessive wear on delivery at 4000 km's

Edited by - wright11 on 02/20/2009 06:07:25 AM

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  08:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a thought here. Could it be the crown of the road that this bus is on every day? I know that I have a couple of routes that are on rural roads where the crown is extreamly high. Those routes wear tires faster than other routes.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  10:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was my first thought also, I've seen that happen with crowned roads.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  12:04:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have taken that into consideration, same with bngs, and like i said we have found the diff NOT TO BE SQUARE. Would the crown affect both inner duals ??? it is now ic's problem

I'D WOULD RATHER BE CUMMIN THAN STROKIN ! ! ! !
I.C no future!!
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  7:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 06 IC-CE back tires wore down with less than 30,000 miles on it. We wondered why so fast when our 04 IC-RE had 50,000 on it before needing to be replaced.

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  05:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am trying to compile a list of other fleets having this problem, if at all possible could you email your address to me. i am making a database so that we can fight ic on this. any and all info relating to this topic would be appeciated. if you have replaced tires, could you tell me orig. tires, and replaced tires. when the replaced tires are installed are you still having the same problems?? thanks all

I.C no future!!
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  05:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my email is rickw@eics.ab.ca....please send twice,,,our school server has spam control
thanks again all
...there is power in numbers!!!!!!

I.C no future!!
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  07:28:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having trouble understanding that it would be a camber issue, All four would be wearing bad. I just dont believe the 5,000 lb test. or a bent axle, Other things would be puking out too.

Have you checked the bearings and torque on the spindle nuts? Make sure that everything is seated right?

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  4:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi bird,,imagine your rear end as a happy face(neg camber) only the inner dual is riding on the road
if it was pos only the outside dual would be. this has been confirmed by a repable frame alignment shop(MCcoy group), with the bus sitting unloaded. there thoughts are if it is loaded with kids, it might be flexing even more,, more camber...as i believe all diffs should have NO camber and NO toe.yes we have checked the bngs, and so has the frame shop. 2 out of 2 buses have this ?problem,,, we have 13 of these,,

I.C no future!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000