New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  07:05:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a 95 TC2000 in here for pulling to the right on hard braking. Attempting to disassemble this rust bucket, I have broken off bolts in the hub cap. Everything under this bus is rusted up. One of the rear brake chambers you can see straight through to the spring. What do you guys do in a situation like this? I'm thinking maybe the guy should make a storage container out of this POS. I don't see sticking thousands in this bus, it belongs to boy scouts. Total 4 wheel brake job with backing plates, chambers, drums, slack adjusters, and maybe hubs. Anyone wanna give an estimated cost on parts?

whe8913
Advanced Member

United States
301 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  07:29:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't weigh in on the acutal cost of the replacement parts, but keep in mind that non-profit groups very rarely have the financial ability to simply up and buy a replacement vehicle. I have been volunteer director for some church bus ministries for several years, and it simply wasn't feasible to do away with a bus, even if it involved several thousand dollars worth of work. In all honesty, this isn't an exceptionally old bus (most schools in my location still have several models from the 80's out there) and the cost to repair it would still be cheaper than the cost to replace it.
If this was the only issue the bus is having- fix it and you still have a dependable vehicle. If it is facing other issues, such as a badly worn body or engine problems, then it might justify replacing.

Consider this scenario I dealt with one time: I had a 1979 IHC with hydraulic drum brakes. The bus was a gasoline with a 5 spd transmission, and when it was going to be $1400 to do a brake job, I said forget it- and scrapped it.

Then I had a transmission go out on a 1991 IHC 7.3 liter. Though it was $2000, I repaired the bus. We could justify a few more years worth of service out of the later model bus versus the 30+ year old 1979 model.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  08:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sending it elsewhere.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  09:17:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No one will touch it so it's back to me. I got the cutting torch getting refilled.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  1:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the front two spiders off the bus. The brake chamber brackets, spider, slack adjusters and backplates are rusted beyond cleanup. I think I may look into major overhaul kits. They are Eaton standard 5" x 16.5 setup. The S cams are pitted pretty bad also.
BTW This is a 1996 TC2000. I found out this was a Wisconsin bus, sold in Michigan.
Now I see why corps retire busses after 12 years! Terrible.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  3:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to even try to imagine how bad the body must be on this thing.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  07:10:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's rough, the steps will soon be falling out.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  08:40:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man Wolfy your a glutton for punishment

I apologize for it being through too many Wisky winters here and nobody keeping it rinsed out.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  12:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe it was yours? 1BAAHCSA8TF064125 Body M70986

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  1:40:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol! No, But I do have one in my lineup! hyd brake. Not bad shape either.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  11:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got most of my parts in new slack adjusters, shoes, rollers, springs, brake chambers, clevis, and turned drums. I had to bead blast the spiders and retap threads, wire brush the s cam, bracket and backplates. Now I gotta remove the broken off hub cap bolts, sux. One side is done though, only one bolt broke in that hub. I welded a stud to it and used a nut to fasten it down. The s cam seals hold grease after pumping them full.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  1:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Front done! Working outside sux but I got it together. The rears need overhauled next. I still have a slight pull when braking hard to the right, only at near stopped if I slam them. I'm gonna drive it more to work in the shoes. I'll keep ya posted if I do the back, in case you are bored and need something to read. Thanks for your input guys.
Rob

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000