tire wear ih ce300 rear 07-08
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  12:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all, im having troubles with inside dual inside wear. we have 9 of these units and all are doing the same , burning off the inside edge of the inner dual, anybody else having this problem, or any correction for this.ps also extreme cupping inside inner dual both sides. front tires wear normal, recent 4 wheel align.
thnx all

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  1:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I would pick the worst one and check the rear wheel bearings for proper endplay adjustment. If found to be too loose, I would check and adjust the others also.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

Harrison Fire

United States
175 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  6:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My tire guy gave me the answer to that one. Said the same size and recap pattern drive tires would wear the inside tires dependent on the amount of crown on the paved county roads. Two things verify his observation.
I have a bus (FS65) that makes 2 round trips daily to the local community college, down a slightly crowned state highway. It wears the rear tires even. I have another FS65 that travels paved county roads, with a driver that runs just over over the center line (narrow roads plus observations from locals). This second bus wears the inside tires just about twice as quick as the outside- cupped and tapered.
HF

My Fleet? (6) 93/99 IH 3800 Thomas and Blue Bird, Hydraulic Brakes, Manual and Auto Trans, (10) 00/06 FS65 Thomas Air Brake and Auto Trans, (2) 06 C2 Thomas and (2) 09/10 IC CE 300, Plus 3 more from another District

Edited by - Harrison Fire on 04/18/2008 6:09:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  08:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I concur, Check the bearings too, That is why I rotate tires as most do on here. Crowned roads = insides wearing wierd.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  3:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Crowned roads and cul-de-sacs....... tire killers. We can see the difference in the routes. The more turns, the more inside tire cupping.

We have one route that is nearly all left turns and the left rear inner tire takes a beating.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

wistech

United States
48 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  04:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit wistech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Was told by the tire reps it's from high speed cornering. We have 3 head start route buses with Goodyear tires that have identical inner dual wear from all of the in-town turns. Rural route buses are not showing this accelerated wear.
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  4:34:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you say inner dual wheel wear do you mean the inside tire of the two dual wheels?

The reason I ask is because on my 06 IC-CE my boss and I was just looking at my tires and on my back tires all four the inside tread on both of the tires has worn down and not on the outside tread of both tires. We thought this was werid because my bus just turned over to 30,000 miles today. Mean while our 04 IC-RE who has 50,000 plus thousand miles is just wearing their tread down and we have the exact same tires. He thinking that the tires were over inflated... hopefully it's not my driving..

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

wistech

United States
48 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  04:15:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit wistech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is the left-inner dual tire with the cupping/scalping on the inside of the tire. Also, I have observed at this point it's only the Goodyears. The company I work for was forced to have Michelin XDN caps installed and, these XDN's are NOT wearing prematurely compared to the Goodyears. I put a set of Michelin XDN's on 1 '02 IC which the driver is very aggressive with (high speed corners) and so far problem solved.....but I will not speak for everyone here. Can anyone else out there notice Goodyear tires wearing prematurely? I cautiously conclude it may be driver influenced.
Go to Top of Page

contactbluebird

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  04:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit contactbluebird's Homepage  Click to see contactbluebird's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
15K-18K Goodyear is trash. no mileage at all....and we bought Goodyear for YEARS...not anymore.
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  05:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goodyear = badyear...

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000