Enter Forum: General Interest
 SB Driver's Decorating Their Buses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fiveforks

United States
29 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  5:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit fiveforks's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are there any school bus drivers that have decorated their buses for the holidays? I've noticed some in past years, but none this year...yet anyways. Feel free to post your pictures here. Thanks & Have a Good One!

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  5:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I put up some decorations, nothing too elaborate (yet lol). I saw some really nice plastic "window clings" which I thought I could get away with, but my boss yelled at me so I took them off the windows and taped them to the ceiling. I may do more next week, I'll try to get some pics up at some point.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  6:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know several drivers put red bows on the front of their buses. Since we are really not allowed to put anything on the outside of our buses. We also have some drivers that might decorate a little inside the bus. It's frowned upon by management, but drivers do it anyway. Nothing wrong with a little holiday spirit in my mind...
Go to Top of Page

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  6:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The local elementry/junior high usually puts wreaths on the front of their buses, but they havent dont it this year yet.

Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  6:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NYDOT frowns on anything in the buses other than what THEY put up (signs and such) ... so no drivers do not decorate their buses.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Edited by - bluebirdvision on 12/06/2007 6:54:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  8:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went crazy this year. I never really decorated my bus in the past years but this year I was just in the mood. I got a wreath for the front with a bow and put it on the front. Then I bought garland and strung across all the windows inside with bows on it. Across the back I have two stockings hanging and another wreath with a snowman. I then have 4 wreaths with a battery candle tied into the center on 4 of my windows. Then every other window is decroated with static cling decroations. The kids really love it and are surprised that I did this. I work for a private contractor she has no problem with it but I know if our state supervisor saw it he wouldn't be happy but whatever it makes the kids happy I only drive elementary and honestley it dosen't effect my vision or their safety so why not let the kids be happy some kids that I drive don't even have the money to afford christmas decorations unfortuntley.

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  01:40:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Until "political correctness" set in, it was not uncommon here to see wreaths and other decorations attached to many school buses in this area. The Peninsula School District used to install wreaths on the front of all of their buses, and decorated the interiors in 12V christmas lighting.

http://www.gilligcoaches.net
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  4:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This past Monday we had an ice storm and the trees were sagging low Monday morning. A piece of a pine tree got wedged in the top of my right mirror bracket. In the afternoon the kids were telling me about it... I told them "that's my Christmas decoration".

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

School Bus M8
Top Member

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  7:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit School Bus M8's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a bus driver that decorates her bus for every holiday or season. She has decorated it for back to school, Halloween, Thanksgiving and now Christmas. Around Halloween her bus went up in flames in the bus yard. The fire was very suspicous( we think it may have something to do with a student or two she has). When she decorated the new bus she got we asked her if she was leaving more kindling for her students.
Go to Top of Page

pbfreak30

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  7:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have one driver who went all out, ribbon on the grill, snowflakes hanging from the ceiling, window sticker, and wreath like garland around the main door

ARROW transportation RP..the best out there!
Go to Top of Page

disp29
Advanced Member

United States
202 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  7:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Send disp29 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
When I worked for my former employer, we used to tack the old plastic cut outs on our winter shields, you know the ones that people used to put on their front doors that look like they were made out of the tops of a million colored thumb tacks. Yeah... we used to hang wreaths on the fronts of our Buses, but now since everyone is so worried about being "politically correct", it's driver preference. I found a light up Red nose and deer antlers and wore them on the Bus today, though my co-workers reminded me to be careful as it's still open Deer season here in PA

kEvIn

Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  12:44:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
ROFL. That reminds me. When I was in high school, the lead driver for Hood Canal School District did that. Stuck a bug red bulb that lit up on the nose of #217.

http://www.gilligcoaches.net
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  06:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I put two small window clings in the top corners of my rear view mirror, simple holly leaves with red berries. They are very small and don't reduce my vision since I have a 10x30 mirror instead of the standard 6x30.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

schoolbus64

United States
28 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  4:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Click to see schoolbus64's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well I'm a high school student who LOVESSSSS school buses and every year on halloween my driver dresses up as something but never decorates her bus even though i tell her but any way, one of the other drivers dressed up as Freddy and put blood stickers on the windows of her bus which I was surprised because she's kind of a strict person but I guess she really got into the spirit and there's nothing wrong with that!

Alyssa Hutton
Go to Top of Page

Ryan2589

United States
98 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  8:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ryan2589's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I put a wreath/bow on the front of my bus and bows on the backside of each of the cross over mirrors. I transport elementry children and they def. appreciate it. Im from DE and there are no laws I know of that would restrict this. I'll get a picture if I can.
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  8:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ryan,

I am from DE and actually if our State Supervisor found out he would not be happy. I know for a fact technically we are not suppose to do this. But most of us ignore it because it isn't a safety hazzard in our opinion and as you send the elementary children appreciate. I decorated mine extensivley inside and I have a wreath and bow on the front also.

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  05:47:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bus724

I put up some decorations, nothing too elaborate (yet lol). I saw some really nice plastic "window clings" which I thought I could get away with, but my boss yelled at me so I took them off the windows and taped them to the ceiling. I may do more next week, I'll try to get some pics up at some point.

Looks nice!! Mine could use some!

Some of our drivers decorate their buses as well.
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  7:01:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always decorate my bus for the holidays, but I keep it simple. A red bow for the front on the outside, and a few Yankee Candle car jar air fresheners for the inside. When the kids get on the bus, they don't see any decorations but they do notice that the bus smells like a christmas tree,sugar cookies and peppermint candy canes.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  02:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I love that idea of using the "Christmas Smell" buster. Nice way to sort of decorate if you can't put anything up; atleast you created the smell of the holiday.

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  5:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL all 879 of our busdrivers received a memo today from our Director of Transportation.

"Mr. So&So does not want any buses decorated with wreaths or bows."

That's all it said. Many folks are attaching garlands tomorrow morning. :)
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  5:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buster133

I always decorate my bus for the holidays, but I keep it simple. A red bow for the front on the outside, and a few Yankee Candle car jar air fresheners for the inside. When the kids get on the bus, they don't see any decorations but they do notice that the bus smells like a christmas tree,sugar cookies and peppermint candy canes.

Why does this bus have so many numbers on it? It has a 13, a 20, and a 337........

I'll show you my air brakes if you show me yours.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  5:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Buster, did you add those LED turn signals to the front yourself, I havent seen a pic of your bus in a very long time but last time I saw it, I dont remember seeing LEDs. Well anyway, it looks great!

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  7:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
337 is the fleet number, my middle school route is 20 and my elementary route is 13. I haven't posted here as much as I used to but since the begining of this school year, we have added LED brake/tail lights, LED marker lights and all of my 7" round turn signals are LED's. I am also trying a pair of Mirror Lite's HD crossview mirrors. This bus stands out from the crowd and is one of a kind in my bus yard, and that's how I like it.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  9:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bus is decorated with DIRT and SALT!!!! It was nice and clean until we had a storm last week! Anyone want to clean it!!
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  9:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

LOL all 879 of our busdrivers received a memo today from our Director of Transportation.

"Mr. So&So does not want any buses decorated with wreaths or bows."

That's all it said. Many folks are attaching garlands tomorrow morning. :)

Mrs. So and So must be a real grinch!

Some rules just have to be broken.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  9:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The drivers here are not allowed to decorate the buses. Although last year during hockey playoffs one driver used window paint and covered almost every glass surface on the bus in team support.

I cant help but laugh at the "keep back 100 feet" sign on the back of that bus. You would have to get about 2 feet away from that bus before you even see it.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  10:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Buster, 337 looks even better with the LEDs, they really do make a bus that much nicer! Did you add them yourself or did Management add them to the buses? I hope you didnt have to pay for all that!

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2007 :  03:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by IC Kodie

The drivers here are not allowed to decorate the buses. Although last year during hockey playoffs one driver used window paint and covered almost every glass surface on the bus in team support.

I cant help but laugh at the "keep back 100 feet" sign on the back of that bus. You would have to get about 2 feet away from that bus before you even see it.

We had a meeting and Massachusetts state police were present. The "Keep Back 100 Feet" stickers on our buses serve a couple of purposes. First of all, if cars are that close to our buses, and if they can read, it should tell them {hmmm, I'm too close to this bus, I should back off a bit), secondly, if they don't and they rear-end the bus, according to the state police, it gives them an additional tool for an extra citation.

1. Following too closely to a school bus
2. Disobeying the "Keep back 100 Feet from a school bus" sign

Etc...

So it acts as an additional tool.

I like having them on the back of my bus. Would rather it say Stay off my ###, but I will settle for the Keep back ones!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000