Crossing in front of Bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Davidrte9

United States
98 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  05:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I know this is the accepted practice and is probably the safest but let me tell you about how transit operators feel about this. I worked 8 years for a public transit operator in Michigan. My route ran up a busy state highway with a 55 mile per hour speed limit. I had one stop at a nursing home where several students worked. It is on the left side of the road on the out bound run. Now with a transit bus there are no red flashing lights, no stop sign, people do not stop for a transit bus. You pull off the side of the road, discharge your passenger and leave. It is up to the passenger to cross the road. Well many a time, I have had to slam on the brakes and blow the horn when the student got off and then proceeded to just walk right in front of the bus and right out in to the on comming traffic with out looking. I had probaly prevented several student from being seriously injured or killed by doing this and I always said some will get killed out there. Well sure enough, shortly after I left that job, a student was killed doing just what I described, got off the trasnit bus and crossed right in from and out into traffic. In the transit business there is a saying that the school districts "teach the students how to commit suicide". Now I know it will never change but just to let others know what it is like with your colleagues in the transit business.

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  05:24:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drove transit bus for a while and we were trained to tell passengers to wait until the bus pulled away before they crossed the road. I agree it can be confusing to kids who have ridden school bus to unlearn the practice of trusting traffic to stop for the bus.

Nothing great has ever been accomplished without enthusiasm!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000